OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
went out to west van, freighters, research station/private labs on Saturday, fished down to the pink apts. nothing! went out again sunday and covered much the same ground again but did venture into ambelside and picked up one coho out in front of john Lawson park in 75' of water. hit on a green glow chovie at 39'.

My Girlfriend and I fished Thrasher yesterday, shes a newbie.
Trying all types of gear, an array of spoons, anchovy, different colour heads. Then rigged up a big blue hootchie. We got an undersized fairly quickly, then a little while latter a 65 cm keeper chinook. then a nice double line gear tangle. That was our clue it was time to head into Silva Bay for lunch. It was really good and beautiful conditions in there. Sat on the patio in the warm sunshine. Before lunch when I was trying all sorts of different gear I ask GF to pick any one she wanted to try. She picked a light green splatter back hootchie. Good I thought to myself. So after lunch, before leaving dock I rigged it up, ready to drop when we got back out. Fished for a while with not much action. But conditions were awesome, flat calm with only a few boats around. Caught a another undersize on the green splatter back and quickly released. Nice relaxing drift after that and then best hit of the day. Instant pop off. I set hook and pass it to her. She plays it well. and we box an nice 10 lb fish. All good now as we each have a fish, except her is bigger than mine!!! We plan our reel up time and I set timer on my phone. 50 minutes left to fish. Not much happens as I expected. Time was up, alarm ringing. She was slow to get up in the morning so I figured she owed me 15 minutes. She agreed right away, saying she was going to suggest same. So 15 minutes on the timer. Blue hootchie 157', vs the green SB hoothcie at 147'.

10 minutes in the blue hoothcie rods goes slack. Of course I grab the rod and start reeling as fast as I could. Feels really solid. Turns into a big fight with a strong fish. Then we both see it surface out of the water behind the boat. Its a slab. It comes closer then tangles around the other line that was still down. . Gamble on which way it was and guess over then under other line. It worked and lines untangled. My phone timer had been ringing for last ten minutes. Finally get it near boat and into net but she can't lift it up. I grab the hoop and pull it over the gunwale. Then hi five, and a well deserved sit down with a cold beer for a few minutes. Quick weigh in at 24 lbs. I was planning about getting it bleed and clean and she says can we put the line back into the water. I said YA, did it. Sure enough, it goes off while I was busy on last fish. I set the hook and pass the rod to GF. She plays it well and a while later its in the net and then on the floor of a rather crowded boat. We are both beaming. Worked quickly to get things tidied up and jetted home with our limit and great conditions. Arrive at the dock just as the light is disappearing.
The end!

Last edited:
Trying all types of gear, an array of spoons, anchovy, different colour heads. Then rigged up a big blue hootchie. We got an undersized fairly quickly, then a little while latter a 65 cm keeper chinook. then a nice double line gear tangle. That was our clue it was time to head into Silva Bay for lunch. It was really good and beautiful conditions in there. Sat on the patio in the warm sunshine. Before lunch when I was trying all sorts of different gear I ask GF to pick any one she wanted to try. She picked a light green splatter back hootchie. Good I thought to myself. So after lunch, before leaving dock I rigged it up, ready to drop when we got back out. Fished for a while with not much action. But conditions were awesome, flat calm with only a few boats around. Caught a another undersize on the green splatter back and quickly released. Nice relaxing drift after that and then best hit of the day. Instant pop off. I set hook and pass it to her. She plays it well. and we box an nice 10 lb fish. All good now as we each have a fish, except her is bigger than mine!!! We plan our reel up time and I set timer on my phone. 50 minutes left to fish. Not much happens as I expected. Time was up, alarm ringing. She was slow to get up in the morning so I figured she owed me 15 minutes. She agreed right away, saying she was going to suggest same. So 15 minutes on the timer. Blue hootchie 157', vs the green SB hoothcie at 147'.

10 minutes in the blue hoothcie rods goes slack. Of course I grab the rod and start reeling as fast as I could. Feels really solid. Turns into a big fight with a strong fish. Then we both see it surface out of the water behind the boat. Its a slab. It comes closer then tangles around the other line that was still down. . Gamble on which way it was and guess over then under other line. It worked and lines untangled. My phone timer had been ringing for last ten minutes. Finally get it near boat and into net but she can't lift it up. I grab the hoop and pull it over the gunwale. Then hi five, and a well deserved sit down with a cold beer for a few minutes. Quick weigh in at 24 lbs. I was planning about getting it bleed and clean and she says can we put the line back into the water. I said YA, did it. Sure enough, it goes off while I was busy on last fish. I set the hook and pass the rod to GF. She plays it well and a while later its in the net and then on the floor of a rather crowded boat. We are both beaming. Worked quickly to get things tidied up and jetted home with our limit and great conditions. Arrive at the dock just as the light is disappearing.
The end!

Very nice report. Sounds like an awesome days fishing. Almost got the work finished on my boat, so I hope to be joining you out there soon.

hello all thanks to everyone who have made good acurate reports on this forum this is my first report so here goes went to cape roger curtis sunday morning noticed many schools of anchovy just inside the light towards the bay in about 70 to 130 feet hit a nice 18 lb red at 10 am about 1.5 hrs before low water 55 ft skinny g green and white 10 min after that a nice fat 62cm red skinny g again 55ft finished off with a nice 8 lb hatchery coho skinny g again had about 3 more hits that didnt stick you dont have to go across the fish are there you just have to work at and pay attention the two smaller fish had 3 anchovies in the bellys hope this is helpful

The end!

So ..... Got any pics of the girl friend ....... I mean Fish my bad. Sounds like a lot of fun when it comes together like that.
congrats

HT

Thrasher is fishing well. I got over there at 9am on a solo mission . Marked a big bait ball in 700' as I approached the reef and dropped the lines. Was into about 12 coho in the first hour, about 1/2 were hatch. Most were runts, but did manage to find a couple 4lb eaters.

With the coho in the box I moved in tight to the reef and dropped the gear to the bottom. Pretty soon had a nice 16lb red in the net. A couple more likely legal 6-7lbers got the gaff release, and by 1130 I had another nice 12lb red in the net. Moved over to my ling hole and had a nice 15lb ling and a 5lb snapper in the boat by 2pm...

Water was calm, with a nice gentle breeze to keep things fresh. Sun was shining for most of the day.

One of the best days fishing I've had!

Fished South Bowen today. Started slow but I nailed a 7lb springer, almost didn't measure up though as it was lot's of girth and not much length a porkchop too say the least. After that I kept getting them but they would be an inch or two short but weigh like six lbs, fat fish. There is a decent amount out there too and they are feeding on anchovers so they took my skinny G's at 60-95ft great fighters too.

Fished point Atkinson for the tide change. 3 large but not long enough springs. Crazy little fighters. Flying jumps out of the water. Jug head hoochies 20-50ft. Didn't see anyone else fighting anything. Quite a few boats tho.

Bowen seems to be picking up again, did well at Cowan today, while the deep around QA was really slow for me this morning.
Seems like the runs to Gabriola are becoming less necessary. Hopefully the quality and numbers of springs continue to improve locally!

Bowen seems to be picking up again, did well at Cowan today, while the deep around QA was really slow for me this morning.
Seems like the runs to Gabriola are becoming less necessary. Hopefully the quality and numbers of springs continue to improve locally!

Glad to hear you did well @ Cowan today. We got 2 undersized but fought with Dog Fish all day - despite keeping the trolling speeds up. All our fish took anchovies trolled at 120'

Fished Thrasher 11-5 yesterday.
Never fished there before, but from the local reports it sounded more promising than locally as I don't know where to fish Bowen other than the hump and I believe the hump is done for the year.
Was primarily fishing the north side in 200 - 400 feet of water.
Was fishing 90-120 feet.
Put down a purple flasher (uv crush and moon jelly) with a purple splater back hootchie on one side and a Bon Chovie green flasher with a pesca uv/green spoon on the other; purple was the key all day...switched to blue on the green side after a couple hours.
One 8 lb Chinook, close to a dozen undersized and 2 coho's, could have held onto one hatch but let him go as he was pretty small (3lbs or so).
Beautiful day for the crossing.
I always hear everyone saying to put their gear deep...how deep and in what depth of water?
Will be heading up Jervis inlet next weekend; been trying to find out if there's a sockeye run up there or if there's any good fishing at all, no luck. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Will be heading up Jervis inlet next weekend; been trying to find out if there's a sockeye run up there or if there's any good fishing at all, no luck. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

You won't be fishing sockeye even if they were up there...check your regs. ;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back