OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear you had some action before the mishaps with the riggers. When you say "cable", Do you mean steel cable. If it was steel I'm guessing you might have been fishing a little deeper than you normally do over there. Perhaps the cable where you normally don't use that much started to rust, then pop it goes when it had stress on it. Very poor quality steel sold at most places these days. I've been a spectra guy for quite some time now. Every system has hits advantages, and drawbacks, but I still way prefer spectra.

If it was spectra that bust off on both riggers, that's beyond me why that might happen.

Good luck in Bamfield.

Ran across to Thrasher this morning, shakers and a couple of pin poppers that didn't stick.
Blowing pretty good chovie and green stripe hoochie from coffey to Gretzky. Couple rookies on the boat didn't help with the rough conditions. Finally stuck a beauty bout 18 for the kids first keeper.
Then pop, cable snapped at about 75 feet, started repairs, swung a new tack with the kids dad on the wheel and he goes fish on, grab the rod for the kid and go to bring up rigger and that cable has snapped as well...WTF! Never in my 35 + years on the salt has that happened.
We were in 600' when the second one popped.
2 year old cables...go figure

Turned into the wind and pounded back to the south arm...rough ride back.

There were fish there for sure, tons of bait...

Gotta retool for Bam at the end of the month.
you running the hp riggers?

Ran across to Thrasher this morning, shakers and a couple of pin poppers that didn't stick.
Blowing pretty good chovie and green stripe hoochie from coffey to Gretzky. Couple rookies on the boat didn't help with the rough conditions. Finally stuck a beauty bout 18 for the kids first keeper.
Then pop, cable snapped at about 75 feet, started repairs, swung a new tack with the kids dad on the wheel and he goes fish on, grab the rod for the kid and go to bring up rigger and that cable has snapped as well...WTF! Never in my 35 + years on the salt has that happened.

i have some old ss cable in the garden
holding up the tomatoes , all yours if ya like Guy ,, lol ,

love my PPro

:)

Sorry but I have to agree with FD on this one. That's one of the main reasons I switched to spectra on the riggers. To many unexpected no reason for it snap offs. Just overall poor quality of steel sold these days. Not that you can't get bad quality spectra too, you just need to be selective what type you purchase. Sorry for your double break offs. You might consider the switch to spectra. A bit of a learning curve like any change.

Or possibly a "hot boat" have you checked voltage. Mine is bad and would fray cables before I switched to braid.

Make sure you run bungees at the terminal end it absorbs any shock on the line. Way less break offs using those. I go one step further and run a 5-6 foot section of 300lb mono and a bungy before the ball. The mono is like a huge bungy and it takes all the pounding on bottom way better than spectra. Almost zero break offs since I went to that system 3 or more years ago. Only break off was a buddy powered the rigger ball right into the pulley. The best system isn't "fool" proof.

image.jpg Decided to head across to nanaimo and stay at Schooner cove. Windy earlier today however didn't stop us from getting lines down. Good thing because it was non stop action. Several undersize Springs and we landed 18 Cohos including these 7 plump hatchery fish! All depths and all on spoons.

I would switch to braid. I previously used wire but switched to braid and find it much more durable and less snap off's.

Or possibly a "hot boat" have you checked voltage. Mine is bad and would fray cables before I switched to braid.

No I haven't checked the voltage, now that may make sense. First time this has happened and both within an hour.
Yes I do run tuna cord and snubbers.

Well, we ran across to entrance yesterday and it was slow for us and only seen one hookup that was lost. We had 2 shakers, 2 wild coho and one hatch. We stuck it out till noon an trolled all the way up to the grande without a sniff. Nice day over there anyways.

Last edited:
Saturday from am high - pm low from the apartments to passage island and all over the point. Two wild coho. A commercial trap on the rigger and limits on crab.
Great day out though.

View attachment 28464 Decided to head across to nanaimo and stay at Schooner cove. Windy earlier today however didn't stop us from getting lines down. Good thing because it was non stop action. Several undersize Springs and we landed 18 Cohos including these 7 plump hatchery fish! All depths and all on spoons.

Nice to see the Coho in such good numbers on the inside again. Nice haul. Hopefully they'll start showing up around Vancouver with the bigger springs soon.

Slow day, started off at the cap and worked right out to the light house 2 shakers to show for it. Pulled up the gear and ran over to Cowan point, one rock cod and nothing else, I hope the big springs show up soon. we are off to Nootka in 2 weeks time, so we should be able to get into some fish then.

Mike

View attachment 28464 Decided to head across to nanaimo and stay at Schooner cove. Windy earlier today however didn't stop us from getting lines down. Good thing because it was non stop action. Several undersize Springs and we landed 18 Cohos including these 7 plump hatchery fish! All depths and all on spoons.
Hey @Tightlines22 where abouts were you guys? I have a couple days off coming up and wouldn't mind getting into some coho, I got on by thrasher the other week but have not been able to locate them in numbers. If ya wouldn't mind sharing the location I would be very appreciative.

Hey @Tightlines22 where abouts were you guys? I have a couple days off coming up and wouldn't mind getting into some coho, I got on by thrasher the other week but have not been able to locate them in numbers. If ya wouldn't mind sharing the location I would be very appreciative.

That would be nice if he felt like sharing, but I don't think the info would be much use to you. The coho are where you find them, and that pretty much changes daily. You just need to scout around and keep your eyes open for surface activity. Finners and jumpers are a dead giveaway, but you might not notice that unless it's a nice calm day. Birds feeding on the surface, and bait jumping out of the water are sure signs coho are feeding on a bait ball from below. Bring a pair a binoculars with you and keep your eyes peeled for signs of surface activity. Otherwise you just need to troll at a fast pace and cover lots of water to find where they're at. Best of luck.

No probs. we caught them all west side of Winchelsea island yesterday and today landed a bunch at French creek.

I took the relatives out yesterday to fish west van for coho and springs. tried spoons, bait and white hooch. 7am to 10:30 am. one shaker. small harbor porpoise or two in there feeding on the surface out in 90-100' of water. bait showing on the sounder. very few fishers, some trying and leaving. disappointing! Might as well pull the boat and do bottom paint.

Wow tightlines22 what a haul .... question for all are all those coho headed for Fraser and Cap

Lots of boats out yesterday ,started early at bell ... didn't see much just one guy had something on of size and i think he yelled seal !! and F bombs ..didn't see the end of that .

guy at the ramp hooked into some blue backs in west van 30' .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back