OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 prawns in under 4 hours yesterday in Howe Sound. Trolled around Hole in the wall and marked some bait and also caught a couple undersize.

Mike

161 prawns in under 4 hours yesterday in Howe Sound. Trolled around Hole in the wall and marked some bait and also caught a couple undersize.

Mike
Can I ask how many pots and did you leave them to soak for the full 4 hours?

Nice break in the weather pattern this morning ... no wind and rain allowed for a few hours in Tunstall this morning while the prawn traps soaked. Released a couple just undersized and caught a very feisty 14 lber, just off bottom on a Skinmy G. Also picked up just under 200 prawns in spite of an unwelcome guest who terrorized one trap.
fullsizeoutput_144.jpeg IMG_1919.JPG

Fished Waterfall/Third Marker on Saturday, in the rain, and found a couple classic winter silver dollars. Spoons with dummy flashers right on bottom in about 160' - No Bananas and blue/glo Andrew P herring spoon. Some good bait showing right on bottom.

!cid_image001_jpg@01D24843.jpg Resized_20161126_124029.jpeg

View attachment 30506 View attachment 30506
Fished Waterfall/Third Marker on Saturday, in the rain, and found a couple classic winter silver dollars. Spoons with dummy flashers right on bottom in about 160' - No Bananas and blue/glo Andrew P herring spoon. Some good bait showing right on bottom.
View attachment 30499
I must of left before you showed up, I marked bait at the same depth but couldn't get any takers. Then moved and made a few passes at grace with one 60cm way out in 200' of water. Then Tunstall, lots of action lost count of hook ups and had a blast with only a few other boats but all my fish came in just under the mark...snapped the head off 150 or so prawns and called it a great trip.

This one felt a lot bigger at first!
20161126_133546.jpg

Fished Waterfall/Third Marker on Saturday, in the rain, and found a couple classic winter silver dollars. Spoons with dummy flashers right on bottom in about 160' - No Bananas and blue/glo Andrew P herring spoon. Some good bait showing right on bottom.]

Hey bud....any bait showing along the mile markers?

Hey bud....any bait showing along the mile markers?
Hey Pippen, I wasn't in the harbour (if you were referring to the mile markers off Spanish Banks). I was referring to the markers south of Hutt Island. If that's what you meant, the bait I was seeing was deep in the trench that runs from the southern most marker to about halfway to the marker just south of Hutt, tight in to the Bowen shore. Lots of bait down 170-200'.

Bait&Sea: thanks for the report. That's a pretty fish - looks like someone else thought so, too!

Eat em up heard they're damn good deep fried lol

I like it too but it is a bit of a process to get them tenderized and all cooked properly. Learned the finer art when we got one while Hali fishing 2 years ago and a friend had the process dialed in. Now that I have the directions written down I'd keep one too.

Can't really just cut em' up and cook them. ;) Well you could...but much better ways to do it.

I like it too but it is a bit of a process to get them tenderized and all cooked properly. Learned the finer art when we got one while Hali fishing 2 years ago and a friend had the process dialed in. Now that I have the directions written down I'd keep one too.

Can't really just cut em' up and cook them. ;)

Let me guess, beat them with a rubber mallet for an hour. Then toss the octo and eat the mallet.

I'm just ribbin yall. I'm glad someone likes them. Better use than bait, but I do like them as bait.

soaked the traps in front of lions bay overnight, pulled them yesterday morning, threw back a fair number of females with eggs, and still had 60 for a seafood hot pot last night

-halibut, clam, oyster, yellow eye, scallops in chicken broth with lime and coconut milk, shallots, onion and red peppers with some side bacon.

(had to buy the scallops from the store :( everything else was my catch!)

Fished hole in the wall Saturday /Monday ... quite on saturday just a lot of rain , monday hit 2 just legal fish both on the Ap spoon released , AP spoon has a great action
in the water .. some pretty heavy prawn traps both days , water was like glass yesterday was tempted to cross over to south Bowen .

Anybody loose a prawn trap a double stacked tied back to back foam float... top float is yellow , either sneaky or bad measurement on line , i got one of my prawn set caught up
on it , i shoulda pulled it ... it was 4' under water i have the location marked if i see it in the same spot next time maybe i'll pull it hopefully and number on there .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back