OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Holy crap that made me want to be certain so I just got the measuring tape and laid it out flat on the deck and like most fishermen i was off by an inch...exactly 35!:eek:
Was a tad lumpy out there trying to hold it up to the scale stuck on the transom.
Looks a tad skinny cause it was already gutted when I took the pics.
Both were does.

Last edited by a moderator:
a5542e99e63be9d57690f2b37539fa75.jpg

20150830_232208[1].jpg

A tale of two tails.

Turns out both were marbled orange and white...kinda of freaky looking. Actually under one of those fluorescent lights it kinda looked greenish orange....kinda nasty!
Flesh not as firm as the reds we got last week and I'll have to cook some tomorrow to see whether they simply go in the smoker or are table fare.
Here's a pic of their two tails and a great example of how tails don't always tell the same tale. The 18 pounderish had no spots at all where as the 20 plus had lots.

Anyone out there Monday am. How r the conditions?

I've got the day off but no chance I'll be heading out in this weather... Blowing between 35 and 50kph all morning at the Fraser mouth

Any news yet on who won the Chinook classic for certain and how big?

I tried what is probably the same bait I bought at a chinese market for a similar price, they were called dace, bit bigger and fatter than chovies. I dry brined mine overnight but they must have been really old because they were falling apart and belly blowout as I rigged them. (maybe some of that 40 yr old frozen meat they found in china, lol) i ended up not being able to try it, have another pack and will try again. if it works as it did for you that's a great savings on bait. i was surprised at mine as it was sold as a food fish not bait, thought I had hit the jackpot.

The Chinook Classic derby was won by David Wei (and his team) and it was guided by Dmitri at Pacific Angler. $25,000 First place fish that they caught after the 10-minute warning was announced on the radio so it was a serious buzzer beater for the second year in a row. The fish was just over 24 lbs and 2nd place was 22 lbs and 3rd was 21lbs. David announced at the awards ceremony that his team decided to donate $5,000 of the winnings to Pacific Salmon Foundation so a classy act on his/their part.

The derby was very well organized this year and it seems to be growing in popularity and now that they have a set date and location (weekend before labour day and pacific gateway hotel) I think it will grow even more next year. All the guys I talked to at the derby seemed to have a great time, despite crazy winds, rain and a power outage at the hotel for a bit.

I was going to head out this afternoon as well but this wind is ridiculous so I'll put it off for another day or two until the high seas subside. A few boats did make it out this morning and sloshed around a got a few fish but not my idea of a good time.

I've got the day off but no chance I'll be heading out in this weather... Blowing between 35 and 50kph all morning at the Fraser mouth

Any news yet on who won the Chinook classic for certain and how big?

Thanks for the update and good on 'em for the donation. It would be really cool if the derby site could update live for the tournament. Might help generate even more interest..

Fished T10 this morning. Seas were lumpy and the fish were still asleep early in the morning. There was no action for me until about 10:00am. Released a wild coho, netted a 14 pound spring, and lost a bigger spring at the side of the boat, just a couple of feet out of reach of my net. At about 11:30 everything went quiet and the wind died down but the current picked up. Packed it in at 12:30. Both springs hit green Coyote spoon at 65'.

Fished T10 this morning. Seas were lumpy and the fish were still asleep early in the morning. There was no action for me until about 10:00am. Released a wild coho, netted a 14 pound spring, and lost a bigger spring at the side of the boat, just a couple of feet out of reach of my net. At about 11:30 everything went quiet and the wind died down but the current picked up. Packed it in at 12:30. Both springs hit green Coyote spoon at 65'.

Slow go today at t10. 2 springs 22 lb and 12 lb. Released a jack, a coho, and got one pink. Where are all the pinks? Weird thought there would be lots more by now.

BGM, it's all relative. A week ago everyone was limiting out in 2 hours of fishing and the action was almost non-stop. Today it took 5 hours to get a couple of springs. It also seems longer when the seas are lumpy and you feel like a dirty shirt in the washing machine. ;>)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow go today at t10. 2 springs 22 lb and 12 lb. Released a jack, a coho, and got one pink. Where are all the pinks? Weird thought there would be lots more by now.

I think the pinks were early this year. I think they're already up the river. I noticed that too. I've only caught 1 pink this year.

I think the pinks were early this year. I think they're already up the river. I noticed that too. I've only caught 1 pink this year.

DFO has down graded the pink run to 6 milion, which I think is close to escapement.
They don't see any more coming this way.

The winds are looking bad for tomorrow again... Which means I can't get out there until maybe Thursday.

I might have to go and fish the Vedder Mouth tomorrow, just for something to do!

DFO has down graded the pink run to 6 milion, which I think is close to escapement.
They don't see any more coming this way.

Seems several stocks are down as the harrison chinook are below forecast too.. I wonder if there's a correlation with the warm water mass that moved into the coast and caused the hot summer we had.. I think this was the same or similar water mass off the Washington state last season which cause por early returns. Anyone hear how things turned out with their return last year?

Back