OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Well, that escalated quickly :|

There are many things you can do as a fisherman that are 'legal' but not necessarily best practices if we all want healthy fisheries going forward. To those who choose to use bait and spoons while fishing Vancouver waters these days, good on ya. Can you catch a sockeye on bait and spoons? of course... just much less likely that using other completely legal types of gear. And for the record I have heard from several sources (DFO and other) that sockeye in the river now in pretty rough shape relative to past years. Not a surprise given the weird ocean conditions and low, warm river conditions they now face. There are over 20 conservation units (CU's) of sockeye in the Fraser system so there may well be several CU's that return fat and healthy but the fact is, overall, at this point sockeye run size is estimated to be about 1/4 of the pre-season forecast and overall the ones that have shown up and not in the best of health. Therefore, why not do our best to avoid catching a species that are not allowed to retain if we do catch?

Back to fishing reports. My buddy is out at T10 now and said weather is decently flat and the fishing has been ok too. He's got 2 in the box in 3-4 hours of fishing so far. Not red hot but nothing to complain about either. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow but given the wind forecasts I don't think it will be happening. Feel bad for all the guys in the Chinook Classic derby but I suppose it will be the same weather for all of them. Hope the wind dies down at some point throughout the weekend so we can all get out there and enjoy.

don’t make excuses, all we are asking is, avoid the use of pink hootchies till the bulk of the sockeye run threw. It doesn’t take much for DFO to add area 29-3 to the banana closure.
DFO asked the Fraser flossers to stop, which they didn’t. Now we have a banana and Fraser closure because of this.

That all opens Tomorrow ! FYI

Agreed. Campbell your ignorance/stupidity is amazing and very narrow minded. Not an ethical fisherman at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Making excuses?? Buddy I will fish with whatever the **** I want. If they ban pink hoitchies than sure but I don't go targeting sockeye I target salmon. Maybe just for you I'll run 4 pink hootchies off the boat next time and I'll send you some pics off all the sockeye I release. Along with the many other species of salmon that bite it. It's not me you should worry about when the ******* Indians net them by the thousands year after year. The DFOs beat interest are in the possibility of a commercial oppening to generate revenue. Not us guys with single hook n lines

Don't think you'll have many buddies on here with an attitude like that. Way to go on your two 20# springs and your top secret gas dock hootchies. Lol.

I'd say go back to CR but I'm guessing they won't have you and thats why you're here now...

Welcome to the forum buuuudddyy.

Wow Came here for a OFFISHALL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Report and have to read a bunch of off topic garbage again. Seems to happen a lot here

I don't really think there's any forum that doesn't have some sort of craziness. The larger and more popular a forum gets, the more likely you'll have the trolls rolling through. Kind of feels like getting a dog fish on the line... you just wish you could shake it off... but inevitably you have to deal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't really think there's any forum that doesn't have some sort of craziness. The larger and more popular a forum gets, the more likely you'll have the trolls rolling through. Kind of feels like getting a dog fish on the line... you just wish you could shake it off... but inevitably you have to deal with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's the interweb guys...lol...keeps things interesting hiding behind a computer screen. Anyway on with the reports. I am itching to get out there been a week and a half. Got next week off going to wait till Monday to get out.

I have never fished the T10 in a SE wind........I assume it would get hit pretty directly or is it bit protected? I notice that the winds at the airport are always less than Sandheads.

Guess I picked a bad time to ask my question which got tied up in the pink hootchie controversy.................

Guess I picked a bad time to ask my question which got tied up in the pink hootchie controversy.................

South east is much more fishable than a northwest. If it's a bit snotty head north to the north arm or bell buoy, they'll be a bit calmer.

Maybe not ignorant since he says he'll fish gear that will catch Springs, but also hook Sockeye. You are right, not ignorant, self-centered, narcissistic, and unthetical might better describe it.
Perhaps the poster in question just doesn't know how to fish different species and is just stating what he knows.

Most of the experienced guys/gals know leader length, hook size, speed, colour, depth, bait and bait size will make a difference in which species will most likely be landed.

To avoid sockeye.......I use bait, big bait, big bait....big fish, maybe not as many but usually the big ones, then again most of my experience is from fishing the west coast.

I am probably wrong, but I have used exactly the same flashers (same one's) for 20 years, on the WC I usually go for the slabs and have been pretty lucky mostly landing over 18 lbs again sometimes not very many.

Two lines per down rigger, bottom line has flasher and bait, top line 10 - 15' back and higher, straight bait (cut plug 5-6"), no flasher, bottom line down 60 to 80 feet, 2nd rigger, bottom line 20' difference, 12 lb balls and a 30 to 45 degree angle on the rigger wire.

This should target most the bigger more aggressive fish over the size of sockeye.

There are dozens of different methods out there, this is just one that has been fairly decent for me, I don't fill the boat every day but I usually don't get skunked if there are fish there, hopefully this will work here.

Anybody out there today? I'm curious the conditions for the derby and would like to hear back from anyone out there on how the bite is, and how the seas are. From Bell to T10 to Light Ship would be helpful. Anyone?

Fishing, don't you find if you try to run gear like Flasher / Bait and cut plug at the same time, that your cut plug blows apart due to the speed required to work the gear? Generally it's two totally different speeds unless you're actually running a holy roller instead of cutty?

Perhaps the poster in question just doesn't know how to fish different species and is just stating what he knows.

Most of the experienced guys/gals know leader length, hook size, speed, colour, depth, bait and bait size will make a difference in which species will most likely be landed.

To avoid sockeye.......I use bait, big bait, big bait....big fish, maybe not as many but usually the big ones, then again most of my experience is from fishing the west coast.

I am probably wrong, but I have used exactly the same flashers (same one's) for 20 years, on the WC I usually go for the slabs and have been pretty lucky mostly landing over 18 lbs again sometimes not very many.

Two lines per down rigger, bottom line has flasher and bait, top line 10 - 15' back and higher, straight bait (cut plug 5-6"), no flasher, bottom line down 60 to 80 feet, 2nd rigger, bottom line 20' difference, 12 lb balls and a 30 to 45 degree angle on the rigger wire.

This should target most the bigger more aggressive fish over the size of sockeye.

There are dozens of different methods out there, this is just one that has been fairly decent for me, I don't fill the boat every day but I usually don't get skunked if there are fish there, hopefully this will work here.

Back