OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Gut them and split the anal hole a bit, water flows through then. I use them when they are still a bit frozen, after cutting the head off stick the knife in the cut part and run it around the guts, they pop out and then slit the anal a bit.

sometimes you can just squeeze the guts carefully and yank them out, then slit the anal.

slitting the anal is the trick though.

Different speeds, different cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody out there today? I'm curious the conditions for the derby and would like to hear back from anyone out there on how the bite is, and how the seas are. From Bell to T10 to Light Ship would be helpful. Anyone?

Hear anything yet Brian?
I text a couple guys out there in the derby haven't heard back yet
Me thinks they're to busy holding onto something to reply ;)
Tim

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

wind just started picking up and gusting
bits, flower pots , chair's on my deck are taking off

guys be safe out there ....

Heard its supposed to get up to 90k winds today just issued by enviro cda right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14ad6db75a720caf9e684170405137dd.jpg

Fished Sandheads yesterday, north west of the pack, landed 2 nice Chinook, 18 and a 14. Big chovies, green flasher, 45-70 on the riggers.

Was out in the harbour for a couple hours of solo fishing in the a.m. ... Left when the wind was starting to really come up and I was able to troll out the harbour at 3.8 mph with the engine in neutral. Brutal trying to troll into the slop this a.m. Released 3 undersized and had nothing to keep. Good to be on shore albeit with the power out.

New member here. Was out at T10 @ 630 and it got nasty from the SE. Rain sideways and it hurt when it hit you. Boated 2 mid teens then went with the wind to the North Arm, landed 2 more and released an undersize. Done @ 930 and headed in. 40-45 ft on green glow and bloody nose glow heads. 2 whites and 2 reds. Back to North Van and trees were coming down. May have been safer on the water! Power is still out.

Rollwithit it is the Wind Alert app think you can use it on all phones and it's free. Also shows forecast and updates every few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d6247ad375b8bd65a92531ce740b174d.jpg

Hi Tim,

Nothing in updates today from the anglers. I am assuming it was lumpy so no time to text... Will find out more tomorrow. I might be out tomorrow if weather behaves. Let me know if you decide to brave the seas tomorrow.

I did see one photo that was sent to me from the Bell and the water was calm but the winds were ripping. I didn't see or hear from anyone at T10 area.

Brian.

Hear anything yet Brian?
I text a couple guys out there in the derby haven't heard back yet
Me thinks they're to busy holding onto something to reply ;)
Tim

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

just spoke with a buddie hes out and just boxed a decent 20lber

think he's north arm // T10 area
fishable but a challenge

Freighter looks good ... supposed to be easy winds on big wave dave for mid day . That was a lot of rain that fell yesterday like Texas rain lol . looking forward to fish reports.

Power is back on....finally.

I am not sure why there are no posts this weekend with the biggest derby of the year fishing the local spots. Is there a post blackout or something?

It seems to always be this way during the derby weekend. For months we have heard about pinks, missed hits and 'snapped off' leaders. Now with 25K on the line no one wants to chime in?

I was out with a friend in the black zodiac yesterday, measuring for the derby...
Tones of fish being caught in the gale force winds and stormy seas, t10 to north arm Qa, bellboy were all producing
Biggest I measured was 22.78lbs caught by three guys in a weldcraft alumninum boat. Not sure if that was beat by anyone today. Most were on green glow teasers with an interesting assortment and arrangement of hooks towed behind green flashers

Most fish were 12-13 lbs with a few 15's and a handful of 22-23's

heard it was a 25lber that won on a Pacific Angler boat Dmitri guide
well done if its so

Winds are 20-30 overnight, and diminishing to 10-20 for Monday night. Tuesday looks marginal. Wednesday should be good to go.

I'll be keeping an eye to the wind the next few days. Or I could just go plonk up in Chilliwack.

Can't win it if you're not in it!:)

Wanted to go check on the boat after the storm and decided to go for a run out to the mouth today around 2:30 to sandheads as often find the forecast is exaggerated.
Had the lucky charm wife and her daughter along and the ride out the river from Ladner was good and just got snotty around the last section open to the southerly winds but certainly doable in our 20 ft. Had read in an earlier post about using big bait for big fish and also had been kinda getting pissed about paying $9.00 for a pack of chovies so picked up some frozen things the size of herring from the corner Vietnamese market for $2.30 a pack and brined them up with some scent and figured I'd give them a try. Arrived to only find 5 other boats and a few guys leaving and a wind that appeared to be building. Came within a whisker of just heading back in but the fearless wife convinced me to at least throw one rod down for a while and see what happens. Rigged up the cheapy bait in my regular UV teaser head and sent it down to 47 feet. Within minutes while tying up a second rig the rod goes off and the wife grabs it. Screamed off line and the fight was on! The lumpy conditions really made having one person at the helm while the other two could deal with everything else very worthwhile. Real scrappy fish and peeled of line half a dozen times while I maneuvered the boat to keep it from spooling and away from the motors. Her rookie daughter netted it fish attempt which was awesome but almost had it jump out of the net as she wasn't versed in closing off the net. All good and just a beauty chrome fish. Sun was out now and we of course decide to stay. Got the one rod down again quickly and once again before getting the other rod down I was hooked up with an even bigger fish. Daughter at the helm and the wife with the net this one though bigger came to the boat a little easier after a couple of strong runs. The winds then started to subside somewhat around 3:30 but the bite went off and we left at 5pm. Two beauty whites the slightly larger being 36 inches exactly and didn't have a scale so perhaps someone can give me an idea of what weight that would be.
Looks like tomorrow is a copy of today so don't hesitate to go out there.20150830_183031[1].jpg20150830_182911[1].jpg
I'll definitely be trying this cheap bigger bait again!

Back