OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

If you don't mind my asking, where is the hump?
Just curious.
Haven'T fished out of Vancouver for over 20 years, and have no plan to return, so pm me if you like.
(After recent discussion on not revealing spots, I'm not after secret spots.)
Thanks

Scroll back to post 297, there is some discussion about the hump.

Pounded it out at the hump yesterday, a little late getting there, releases two undersized, army truck at 99 and chovie at 1:15, just before low slack. One other pin popper that didn't stick on the army truck.
100 or so prawns and zero crab again...time for some new pots I think. Last two times out struck out on crab and have always always gotten crab!!

It was sporty out there for sure.

We skipped the hump yesterday and dropped prawn traps. We trolled the Bell buoy to kill some time and had 1 shaker, lost a freight train and boxed a 13lb red hatch job.

Just a lowsy 300 lol

I got to say that Andrew P's spoon in the blue wolf version is a killer. Outfished bait again for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropped the lines at the southeast corner of the Hump at 7am and had 3 solid fish on and two 15 lbers in the box by 8am. Was lucky and found them quickly for a change. Fish hit anchovies at 100 ft andf 110 ft.

All these reports are killing me, the hump sounds like it's on fire. Boat is out getting re power.

I poked out the north arm late morning,but water was too rough for a solo mission. I got stuck cruising the Fraser waiting for the tide. I really wanted out today lol

Good day at the hump, 4 for 4. West end. Glow hoochies were the ticket. UV flashers. all hits were at a faster troll. Bumpy as hell though.....

We almost got skunked at the Hump and then landed a nice one when we said last call! Chovies didn't work for us today however a silver horse spoon did its work!image.jpg

Hit the hump hard today....it was pretty sporting out there. We end up 3 for 3 with the biggest at 18#. Fishing 110-150' with iron needle spoons. Pretty nice to get fish with just a spoon and no flasher! Hopefully the water will calm and it will be game on.DSC_0355.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,047
We did alright lol
92fb6835bde1ea9f9cae0d044aeadcea.jpg
d8d2a04e4c85e8a0cd98c9eb11ec5c92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the Hump just prior to 9 am yesterday and within 10 min into first fish. Pretty tough conditions to fight fish but just kept telling my nephew that the conditions are nothing like "Elliott" and his crew endure (his 'Deadliest Catch' favorite). After only an hour or so the bite seemed to drop off for us.....from reports it seemed from 7 am - 9:30/10 was the best bite. We ended 2 for 3. 100-120' chovy and Irish Cream spoon. Pollock were an issue....mainly because of having to constantly check and clear lines ....and in 3' seas this becomes a much more mundane chore :mad:. Crabbing was very good.

Seeing the kid endure the nasty sea conditions, all with a smile on his face, was the extra bonus yesterday.

image1.jpg

well done there PH and pat on the back for the young fella for sticking it out

looks like it's going to be calmer for tomorrow...... hope so, as wishing to get back out there

Today was nice. A bit lumpy in the morning but quite pleasant in the afternoon. Got a 14lb white and released one that was exactly 62cm as well as a few shakers.

Landed this white beauty over the weekend on an Irish cream spoon in 100 feet of water, trolling at 2.2 mph in front of the small islands west of Bowen, broke our spring scale but read around 24 pounds before the top ring snapped. Put up a great fight and ran an olympic sprint on 25 pound test at least a couple of hundred yards back. The reel was screaming over and over again with each surge +10 times. Then lots of jumping and we thought it was lost for sure ( spoon was barbless - being good - we are) , but after some intense winding on the knuckle duster to catch up and several deep breaths; the fine fish was finally played out and my buddy Chris netted it like a champ. Al was on the wheel and kept my side of the boat pointed at the fish like a champ to help. Can't believe how much strength and longevity is in these big winter springs! This will make a nice couple of meals for the family. Crabbing is great this spring as well - even if someone pinched one of my traps near POPHAM island - but was a great weekend regardless. DSC_0802.jpg
Hope the tips help and many thanks for yours all - John

Some fine fish boys,, well done to all.

beauty fish there willow-bee! great to see some nice ones out there at this time of year.... hopefully bodes well for the rest of the season! I'm brining up some chovies now and hope to get out later this week around Vancouver area. Will post report if/when I do.

Back