OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hoping to fish the hump this weekend. Does anybody have comments on the impact of high / low and flood /ebb tides for fishing there.
Its a really early high slack and then mid day low. Then high slack near dusk so will be difficult to get out for first High slack. 10 to 20 knot winds forecast too. Could be rough in the straight.
As mentioned above , check your lines often, like every 15 mins, for the P-cod. Hard to know when they are on.

E.P. we will be out there on Sunday as well. Planning on the early fish and be off the water by 2 or so. If it blows up early we may look inside Howe Sound. See yah on the water.

Hoping to fish the hump this weekend. Does anybody have comments on the impact of high / low and flood /ebb tides for fishing there.
Its a really early high slack and then mid day low. Then high slack near dusk so will be difficult to get out for first High slack. 10 to 20 knot winds forecast too. Could be rough in the straight.
As mentioned above , check your lines often, like every 15 mins, for the P-cod. Hard to know when they are on.

Hey Tom; we were out at the Hump for about 8:30 am last Saturday and high was roughly 10am. We were quiet until pretty close to the slack and then most started on the ebb for us. Granted we had to be in for ~1:30 to get a buddy home for his b-day with the family but things in the fleet seemed to happen a bit more on the ebb. Was talking to guide buddy and just as we were getting ready to pull he called and abruptly had to hang up as they hooked up so things may have carried on a bit afterwards. I know not the greatest report as I was there 1 hour before and a few hours after the high. ;)

Things may have been decent leading up to the high as well.....but we just weren't getting them no matter what we threw at them in depths from 80-130ish. A white glow hoochie went on and it proceeded to do 100% of the damage for us when nothing else was working.

Steve.....knock em dead out there!!!! :cool: I may be down fishing out south of the Gulf Islands or may head out to Salamanca or that area as we'll be on Mayne this weekend.

I was out at the hump last Sunday. Landed 4 and lost 2 between 10 am and 1. Tried spoons and hootchies. All fish were caught with Anchovies (make sure to brine the anchovies) behind the BonChovy flasher at about 80'. Have fun out there!

Hey Tom; we were out at the Hump for about 8:30 am last Saturday and high was roughly 10am. We were quiet until pretty close to the slack and then most started on the ebb for us. Granted we had to be in for ~1:30 to get a buddy home for his b-day with the family but things in the fleet seemed to happen a bit more on the ebb. Was talking to guide buddy and just as we were getting ready to pull he called and abruptly had to hang up as they hooked up so things may have carried on a bit afterwards. I know not the greatest report as I was there 1 hour before and a few hours after the high. ;)

Things may have been decent leading up to the high as well.....but we just weren't getting them no matter what we threw at them in depths from 80-130ish. A white glow hoochie went on and it proceeded to do 100% of the damage for us when nothing else was working.

Steve.....knock em dead out there!!!! :cool: I may be down fishing out south of the Gulf Islands or may head out to Salamanca or that area as we'll be on Mayne this weekend.
Thanks for the details on what was working, Scott. We'll be throwing the works at 'em including bait. I'll post pics and report when we get back. Might even try to get an edited GoPro vid on if I can keep it short enough. Mostly this is just a shakedown cruise to make sure all the mothballs are removed, but we'll giver Hell. :rolleyes:

She goes over to the island in 3 weeks or so and then concentrated effort on the ECVI for a few weeks, Kyuquot in mid July and Ukie for the rest of the summer. Had a few unbelievable days for numbers in Ukie last year, but no significant size to any of em. Hopefully that "ball of warm water" will be gone by the time I am at Kyuquot..................

have fun on Mayne.

I was out at the hump last Sunday. Landed 4 and lost 2 between 10 am and 1. Tried spoons and hootchies. All fish were caught with Anchovies (make sure to brine the anchovies) behind the BonChovy flasher at about 80'. Have fun out there!
great report Zen, Thanks.

Thanks Guys.
Zenyo, the high slack was at 11.25 on sunday so you caught it then the start of the ebb. I fished last thursdauy and we got a nice one just before the low slack.There were some bights around the morning high slack that day too.
Looks like the ebb is the tide to fish.
Tight lines Guys.

Just a reminder than crabbing is closed in English bay...East of a line from Point Grey to Point Atkinson.

Was talking to a fellow guide today and a boat load of "Asians" (approx 15) were caught and confronted poaching crabs and stealing crab traps yesterday. The float was clearly marked too.

Unfortunately I have not been on the water due to a Family Members Health Issues....but somethings are much more important than fishing.

Bait or bust. Bait is out producing anything else by a large margin in the last week based on my conversations with fellow guides. brine up your Chovies and leave the hardware--metals and plastics in the box for now. guides stacking rods are reporting BAIT BAIT BAIT as being the preference of these fish.

Where: QA North to Bowen and West... Look for Guide Vessels.... You're likely in the right area.
Depths: 80-120 feet of cable out....
Flasher: Yes. if you have some glow on it the better..
Leader: 6 foot leader 40 pound test.
Anchovy Size: 5 1/2" or 6"
When: As much time as you can spend out there
How: 2.3-2.6 mph SOG, Flashers 15 feet back
Teaser Heads: anything with Glow in it.
Forecast: Sunny.

Good luck, Tight Lines and Goodnight..

I was out at the hump( from west Van.) at 7:30 to 10:30 am today. got a fish at 8:30 am and then 2 more bites at 9:30am. Lost the last one, as it took off under the boat a couple times and snagged the leader on the leg or something.
Biggest was about 17 lbs. both white types and the smaller was fin clipped. skeletons of herrings in their stomachs from yesterday, or very early this morning, nothing fresh.
Action came on a Yamashita hootchie ( S140R) and a Pesca 3.5 Gut Bomb spoon. 90-110 feet down, easterly end of the hump.
Another guy at my marina went a little further west and had even more action, including losing one to a big seal.
Better than yesterday for the both of us.

I was out at the hump( from west Van.) at 7:30 to 10:30 am today. got a fish at 8:30 am and then 2 more bites at 9:30am. Lost the last one, as it took off under the boat a couple times and snagged the leader on the leg or something.
Biggest was about 17 lbs. both white types and the smaller was fin clipped. skeletons of herrings in their stomachs from yesterday, or very early this morning, nothing fresh.
Action came on a Yamashita hootchie ( S140R) and a Pesca 3.5 Gut Bomb spoon. 90-110 feet down, easterly end of the hump.
Another guy at my marina went a little further west and had even more action, including losing one to a big seal.
Better than yesterday for the both of us.

Almost identical to my day, got a 22 and a 16 lb at 115 feet on chovie. P cods kept me busy and now I see the algae bloom has started.

busy day at the hump for most that where there early
wind got up and blew most off
got into a few fish today with a triple to start things off which almost ended with nothing to the boat
but lost the frist fish and top rod due to slack line but had a major tangle with the upper rod
which was running a straight traser head and bait
fish hit on glow splatterback hootchie but come undone half way through.
then the other side lower rod peels off

ensuing a fish to the boat after a few triwls around get the fish in the net and think ok lets clear the other rod and greeted by a tug on the line opps i now realize i have a fish on this line as well but problem its done a wrap around the down rigger braid
which is on port side but the fish and flasher are starboard yikes some how it stays clam and i undone the wrap from around the rigger but now the line has gone and caught up on the transducer
bury the rod as far i can get it and wind down and lucky off she comes and now into contact with the fish
new delimer now i have a fish in the net
so my buddy had given me a short pole net
well i think yeah i'll use that
another gong show no wonder i perfer my long handle
but at least i get two of the three
so me thinks fish smart now john, just put two rods down now

no the greed to run a bait with the hoochies gets the better of me, so i stack one side
but next fish hits the the bottom rod on the flasher hootchie and goes down deep on some strong runs
giving me enough time to clear now the top, third rod running bait.
so another to the boat after this i stayed with just running a rod either side
and the wind started to pick up as predicted.. so fishing was all done by just after lunchtime

7 hits 6 fish to the boat. got my limit and came home a worn out but happy camper... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a blast John. Going out to the hump tomorrow to hopefully find some fish!

Sounds like a blast John. Going out to the hump tomorrow to hopefully find some fish!
wind may say otherwise, it got going white caps pretty fast just after lunch

Took the boat out for the first time yesterday morning. Drop lines on the hump just as I took my hand of the downrigger brake, rod starts bouncing. At first I though I tangled the lines on the way down, but no its a fish. Nice fighting fish once at the boat looks like a nice 12-15lber. My dad goes to get the net, no net I forgot it at home, I say give me the gaff, no gaff safe in the garage at home. We play the fish for about 1/2 hour trying to figure out how to get it in the boat finally a tailing attempt gone wrong and the luckiest fish in the ocean gets away.

Hooked at 100ft Anchovy UV teaser with black UV flasher.

Prawing was poor and had 6 keeper craps, lots 1/8 of inch too small.

Chalk that day of fishing to don't forget the net stupid!!

Took the day off on Friday and headed to the hump with Trendsetter. Hit our first fish (10lbs) at 845 at a depth of 120 feet. Irish cream and purple onion. A couple of pcods and undersized salmon after that. Still tried to fish after the winds picked up which also made for some shady prawn trap retrievals. 150 prawns and 4 keeper crabs. 4x more boats out this weekend than last.

Took the boat out to the Hump today. The bite was on early in the morning, got one around 15lbs, at 105 ft on Anchovy. Nice fight, was a bite on the choppy side but fish-able. After landing that one and putting the gear back down the other rod takes off, 115 ft on a white hoochy, a 8-10 lbs. Also another nice fight and into the fish locker. Ran another 1Hr or so than has another big hit fought him for about 20 minutes and just before landing him, right at the net he spits the hook. He was very NICE.
Sun was nice but there was a chop out there today.

If you don't mind my asking, where is the hump?
Just curious.
Haven'T fished out of Vancouver for over 20 years, and have no plan to return, so pm me if you like.
(After recent discussion on not revealing spots, I'm not after secret spots.)
Thanks

Back