OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

bait has been working well 80-150' and there is lots of fish being caught in the sound next to structure
all the usual hot spots
looks like they will be heading out to the straight sooner enough with a few guys hitting the hump
and odd fish being taken nothing super big but good size teens to low 20's
winds played havoc with me on Easter Sunday, so i ended washing gear and then had the misfortune to prop a floating prawn line
(thanks dik) so please guys trapping don't use floating poly line it spoils the day
and not all pleasure boaters carry knife's.
still the carb pot produced so we had an Easter feast after all.

Hole in the Wall.....130'-150'....spoons, the usual suspects were working yesterday.

Thanks for actually providing specifics, Pippen, kudos.

Rather rare on this tight lipped Vancouver thread....

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
By working do you mean catching salmon? Any size / numbers etc? We are desperate for details over here... any info will help us armchair fishermen get our fix...

Yup....5 or 6 to the boat, bonked a couple with the largest in and around 12-13lbs including a double. Buddy got a couple on Saturday, same place, but better size. Another buddy fishing around us bonked one and released I think 2?

Pesca green/glow, Homeland, Wonderbread and a cool newer spoon I had courtesy of FM was working. (edit....it's called the Herring Aid :D)

Find the fish and stay tight....yesterday most fish were in a concentrated area similar to Saturday.

Other details....sunny, charcuterie plate served around 11...sandwiches a couple hours later. :p Managed a half dozen crabs and maybe a couple hundred prawns.

Thanks for the details...sounds like a great day out there. What kind of sandwiches? - bread, meat, condiments etc? Ha. Just kidding.

By working do you mean catching salmon? Any size / numbers etc? We are desperate for details over here... any info will help us armchair fishermen get our fix...

LOL. Good one.

bait has been working well 80-150' and there is lots of fish being caught in the sound next to structure
all the usual hot spots

Thanks for that John ....a very correct comment and as well HS has also produced in areas that are not specifically associated with bottom structure as well. ALL the usual "hot" spots in Howe Sound are or have been producing .

Hole in the Wall.....130'-150'....spoons, the usual suspects were working yesterday.

..... where abouts exactly were you at the hole ? .....and what do you mean by usual suspects ?.... what depth was the bottom where you were fishing? what size spoons, how many did you have out ? flashers ? what colour flashers ?... lol :confused: ;)

I understand why some fishers want to know all the exact depths, exact lures/bait and precise location but I can tell you there is far more satisfaction in locating fish on your own with just general info on what has been happening. I don't mind being asked specifics but I may not provide them in certain situations and I'd hope that choice would be respected. Just knowing there are fish being taken is the important thing. If you know how to fish the sound fishery and the spots, you can locate the fish. I don't feel I always need to be providing a precise/exact location or gear for various reasons, one of which is stated above but also in respect for any of the sources of my information (via personal intel/networking) The other should is that this is an open forum and not a personal conversation on the dock......there are 300-400 non-members searching on this this forum--- non members that don't provide anything to anyone else here and yet will happily show up at your 'exact' 'hot spot' you reported.

I enjoy posting good news about fishing here and love posting photography/shots of trips etc. but if my reports must always have specific detail on locations, I'll forgo posting reports.

this little graphic is quite hilarious .... not sure how I got it but I may have been sent it by a 'good buddy' with reference to the overly generous size of my mouth !

BsX0RiOCUAES8o2.jpg

There is a balance to be had.

View the Victoria forum to see some useful reports... bait found in stomachs and fishing locations (within reason, I am not trying to give away my "secrets" either.

I fish numerous locations and am active on numerous threads and this Vancouver thread is particularly secretive. Fact.

For good reason? That is up to the individual, but the secrecy is a statement of fact.

yeah well get a guy to give you his prawn spots and halibut holes and
go buy yourself a lotto ticket as its going to come in....lol

not a chance in hell

best tip's put the hours in
watch what people are catching on
and where
dail in your speed and make sure your gear is presented well
and a good sharp hook
oh and don't forget the landing net ....lol
sooner or later you'll get one,
big or small enjoy them all .....

"this Vancouver thread is particularly secretive. Fact.

For good reason? That is up to the individual, but the secrecy is a statement of fact."

Yep, I don't think many would disagree with you that it is a fact or a 'statement of fact' to say that this Van thread is more secretive than others... lol

I am not sure why people are so secretive. Its not like everyone is going to take the day off on a Tuesday in April to go hit up Hole in the Wall because an 8 and 12 pounder were caught there over the weekend.

Most fishermen know that salmon are here one day, gone the next and will be found with bait...but these fish are moving around. Gear and lures..same thing. one day something is hot and the next..not a sniff.

Personally I just like to read a good story with juicy details... Hell, the details could be made up for all I care but it is nice to read a post from someone who has taken the time to make it worthwhile.

"this Vancouver thread is particularly secretive. Fact.

For good reason? That is up to the individual, but the secrecy is a statement of fact."

Yep, I don't think many would disagree with you that it is a fact or a 'statement of fact' to say that this Van thread is more secretive than others... lol

For good reason. We live in the Lower Mainland. Life has changed on the water in recent times with the advent of the Internet reports, websites, Facebook Groups, Forums and such....the information is readily available and it's a carbon copy of previous years. Seeing 20 boats circling in Tunstall and 7 boats doing a circuit outside of Molly's was a real treat I'm sure for the regulars a few weeks ago.

This coming weekend if the weather behaves I am sure we'll see 100-150 boats fishing the usual offshore area for this time of year.

Pick a spot you want to fish at this time of the year.

Fish from 80 to the bottom. If you're not on structure, fish 85-130 feet.

Meat has probably produced the bulk of fish in the last week however, Kitchen Sink, Irish Creams, green glows and Gibbs G-Forces and the lunchbox of popular Silver Hordes have all produced fish. Local Guide and Tackle Shops have already posted what is going on.

See y'all out there and catch your limit but limit your catch. Please release the undersize gently, ensure you have fUll fuel and your batteries are charged. Make sure your line and knots are up to the task as many larger than usual fish have been hooked by a few lucky anglers. Sharpen your hooks too.

If you're still not sure what to do, sight your local guide boats (Grady Whites, Bayliners) and drop your lines. Also your local tackle shops on Granville Island and Broadway and get the best gear for our fisheries. Those shops supporting guide operations are killing it.

If you haven't been out yet this year, if I were you I would be spending every waking moment other than work and eating getting your tub ready because "they're here!".

In 4 weeks you're going to have to run a lot further to get the same production.

Call in sick to work, play hooky. Follow the boats flying rods and nets in the air from Fisherman's Cove, Burrard Inlet and False Creek. go get 'em.

End of story. secrets. Love 'em.

Was waiting for you to chime in with your usual advise FM.
Forgot leader length is all... Lol

Thanks

Was waiting for you to chime in with your usual advise FM.
Forgot leader length is all... Lol

Thanks

Sorry man, was trying to be secretive. Oh....Anchovy leader lengths...60-72 inches. spoon leaders the same. ;)

Sorry man, was trying to be secretive. Oh....Anchovy leader lengths...60-72 inches. spoon leaders the same. ;)

When tying leaders with a clinch....do you go clockwise or counter this time of the year? ;) I know I really mix it up into the summer but this time of the year when sipping a beer, staring at a rod....watching the world go by I start wondering if I am totally fooking things up down there. :p

Let's not derail.....this IS a reports thread after all! This is the time of the year we should all be getting excited for what is to come between now and early October!!! :cool:

Call it Herring Magic ...er...Herring Aide... ops...ah fuhgeddaboudit oops...

I don't have a problem with a little detail in reports.....10% of the boats are catching 90% of the fish.

Agreed...just info for those that can use a little help to enjoy our sport.

The same greedy fishermen that don't want to share info are the same ones that are all over you when you catch more fish than them. Do people really think that a new fisherman is going to take a bit of info and go out to your spot and catch all the fish there? lol Having people catch fish and be successful in the local waters is good for tackle shops,boat sales, etc. More boats means better launch ramps and docks, the secretive me me me mentality does nothing for our sport but put it backwards.

Back