O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

That's a whole lot of Chrome! So jealous. Engine problems with my kicker on my " new to me boat " has kept me off the chuck this yr...
Screw the kicker fish the main!

All this seaon I've been having best luck running gear at 100 to 105 or 115 to 130 on the rigger counter as I'm running two dummies. Had about 10 on and landed only 6 as my first mate , the wife, has a cast on the foot and has to be seated to land fish while I try and net them. Great fun!:rolleyes:
Finished up around 330.

Thanks CohoOn, I going to give it another try tomorrow with a buddy. I've been fishing sandheads for the past few weeks and were getting most fish at about 75 on the wire. We got a few at 20 as well. I was thinking about trying off the north arm tomorrow, as I am tiring of the weekend number two road rodeo at the boat ramp.

Fishing is absolutely on fire out there!
3 days in a row with limits before 10:30
To bad this is a 4 year event :(
Ended todays 20 with a quad, total chaos LOL
60-80' was the popular depth for us today
Going to break for the weekend and let the freak show play

I went with the flick them straight into the fish box technique today. No net = much better. Lots more fish on the screen than the last two days for me. I fished 4 rods solo just for the challenge, and it was fine.
Done in 50 minutes, helped the kid move, then drove home to the Okanagan.
I'm done for the year. 6 trips to the coast (PA, UKee x 3, Tofino, North Arm) was just the right amount for an awesome summer. Lots of smiling faces out there having fun until the big boats race past the good spots to get to the greener grass, putting water over the bows and sterns of the smaller guys.
There are more lots more coming, so enjoy.
Macdonald launch was very civilized and quick, even though there were 8 lined up when I got there at 6:00am

Has anyone been hitting any Peahead Chinook recently? Got out twice this week, was targeting sockeye but managed to hook 3 Chinook and land 2. All whites though. Last year at this time of year, we were hitting Peaheads.

Attachments

• Dave Chiook Aug 24.jpg
    Dave Chiook Aug 24.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 521
  • Griffin Chinook Aug 29Best.jpg
    Griffin Chinook Aug 29Best.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 520
My wife got a red spring around 16lbs with mature roe on Thursday. Are mature peaheads smallish normally? The meat looks rich and a bit pale red/pinkish.

My wife got a red spring around 16lbs with mature roe on Thursday. Are mature peaheads smallish normally? The meat looks rich and a bit pale red/pinkish.

My experience the meat is fairly deep red and lots marbling. Normally they're in the 18 to 23 pound range. I have attached a couple of peahead photos from past years. When you see a photo of one, you can see where it gets the nickname from.

Attachments

• Doug  Aug 2`1comp.jpg
    Doug Aug 2`1comp.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 824
  • Griffin Spring.jpg
    Griffin Spring.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 818
Was at the sandheads this morning. Started at 7 am and had 6 fish by 9. Took till 11 30 to get the last 2. 88 feet on the rigger for every fish.

Another peahead pic.

e6ebybu4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates. Hoping to get out tomorrow morning if the winds are good. Any commercial opening tomorrow?

Cheers, Rob

Commercial doesn't matter...they're in the river.
Anyone have any luck mid morning today? Don't think we can make the early bite.

Was out around the mouth of the north arm this morning lines in around 7:15am. Couldn't find any of the big schools that were around on Friday, my guess is a lot went up the river with the rainfall. Saw TONS jumping heading back up the river this afternoon. My radar stopped working shortly after we got the lines in so we were fishing blind for the day. Managed to box 5 and lost another 4. Triple header at one point, only landed 1 during that which was a fat 10#. All action happened in the same general area approx 1km southwest of the north arm marker. Most action happened on one bottom rod around 70ft. Green mylar silver with 22" Michael Bait glow strip squirt. Dogfish also liked that set-up too!

No action happened until approx. 9am for about an hour then it was very spotty. Also tried a buddies red Kone-Zone for the first time on one side with another red/glow dummy 8' above it. The other side had a red/glow dummy on the bottom then a uv clear with a glow stripe 8' above. This side out fished the kone side 3-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commercial doesn't matter...they're in the river.
Anyone have any luck mid morning today? Don't think we can make the early bite.

We fished the north arm all morning. Had to work hard to box a couple. Lost 3 or 4 others tho. Both 80' down on mp 16s. Wondered if down south was better today.

. My radar stopped working shortly after we got the lines in so we were fishing blind for the day. you need radar to fish with unrestricted visiblity

Got 16 @ south end yesterday, 50-60' lots of dummy flashers is the trick. Ran 3 riggers, one with just flashers. Green flash pink hootchie. Saw lots of late run jumpers as the day went on. We fished away from the costco parking lot insanity. 300 yds. off the pack we filled up real fast.

We got there at about 7:30 and fished the north arm yesterday as well (1st time as all earlier trips were at the sandheads) and it seemed slow. Guys in another boat said it was way better earlier in the week; figures. Anyway we got 3 right away and then nothing for along time, as we couldn't find the schools again. Right around noon we located another small school and put three more in the box (fat ones too), to finish the day for us at 6. Caught all but one at 80ft; the other one was at 50ft. on glo head pink hootchies. All fish caught between 200-300ft of water.

Back