O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Stuck to the SE end of the hump and then trolled to QA, only a couple boats as most seemed to troll to the west with the wind. Two clip poppers lost em both as they didnt stick, and one more to boat about 5lbundersize. 100 to 125' 7am till 1pm. Weather got better midday but I was already close to Vancouver anticipating opposing wind/tide. Nice day out there aside from a bit lumpy.

also found a massive school of pcod out there that I thought was bait until I got a double header and brought up 2, bigger then I have ever caught one pushing 10lbs.
CJ you shoulda stuck on that P-cod, the springs were feeding on them today

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, tough grind for the solowey today. Three little undersized and one p cod. Ran chovy with glo heads and a spackel back hoochy all between 130 and 90. The action we did get all went to the go bananas flasher, as did the fish we hit yesterday. Crabbing was amazing and prawning was pretty good. Be back out Monday looking for a good size spring. Oh ya I worked the inner contours of the hump closer to Bowen, sounds like the fish were a little further out today.

This year it seems flasher selection is more important. On my boat, the rod with chartreuse flasher got all the hits 6-0 (run 2 rods)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I worked it pretty hard thinking that, or the cod were feeding on herring so there should be a spring or two around...but no dice

we pulled a 13" P-cod out of a springs stomach today lol

I was out friday, fished 4 hours, had two salmon and a P-cod. One on a coyote
3.5 kitchen sink and one on an army truck octopus Hoochie. Action on bottom rods @ 115-119'
Some are big, a boat broke 2 leaders, one of mine was hard to net at 23 lbs. nice fight as the flasher was a 9" model blue glow.

Chartreuse has been hot for a few years now locally.

so I hear. I picked up a few chartreuse hot spots and a chartreuse kone zone chain the other day for local waters. Never been a chartreuse guy but time to adapt me thinks...

Chartreuse and green is most of my gear i run . do very well in the summer . No guessing whether the fish are biting or not :confused:, lotsa faith in my gear . Go to gear anyways .

Maybe a good time for chartruese bait dye, just watched Mike Mitchell doing it. Probably not necessary but could be worth a try.

Maybe a good time for chartruese bait dye, just watched Mike Mitchell doing it. Probably not necessary but could be worth a try.

Hey ya never know , always room for fine improvements ,it's pretty awesome when your dialled in and make small tweaks here and there....lol i wonder if it glows , heck glow teaser glow chov hmmmm .

I know a local guide who dyes his bait for early season springs (i.e. Right now) and have observed him kill big for his guests on them. It definitely doesn't hurt. The 'Chovies and Herring glow nuclear afterwards! Personally, I don't dye and I don't scent and I rarely stray from all most basic flashers...but If I fished more frequently these days I may be inclined to use bait dye.

We were out at the hump today from 9 am to 4. Pretty lumpy this morning and a lot more than the .4m waves that was showing at halibut bank. Improved in the afternoon. We were running 3 rods with spoons and 1 with anchovy most of the day. Lost one on Anchovy around low slack. We didn't see much action until about 2 we boated a couple that were full of 4" herring. Both on anchovy with uv purple haze and chartreuse uv flashers 87-100'. That's the first for our new boat so we were well happy!

Was out fishing tonight (Sunday) from 5-8ish. E side of the Hump, ran a chovy in a glow rhys head and chartruse flasher on one side, and a medium sized green spatterback jughead with a chovy and a chartreuse flasher on the other side at varying depths.

One hit all night and it came on the Juggie at 100’. Small legal spring full of 4” herring in its belly. Beautiful night …pleasantly surprised that the one fish came on the jughead.

Attachments

• Hump ws april 27 2014 jughead.jpg
    Hump ws april 27 2014 jughead.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 529
  • WS guts april 27 2014.jpg
    WS guts april 27 2014.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 528
I lost a large green scotsman float somewhere on the 91 before the scale on the weekend. Has my name and number on it in large blue print. I checked today and it was gone. Hoping somone will call me but thats a long shot...

Anyone out today?

Back