Now That We Know TAC, What Should 2014 Limits Be?

I have no problem with 4.... If it opens up the sizes limits on both fish and allows 1/2.

Do you need more then 4? I normally only kill one or two a year and have ample meat for my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it wont! Dont be willing to give away what little we have! Lets say the fish you catch are 25# average. That works out to 100 lbs. Take off 50% for skin, bones, guts, head and tails and you are left with 50# That is hardly a generous annual amount !

Anyway-- I am cooking tonight. Broiled halibut Rockerfeller ... later....

All i want to say is if we had such a huge carryover and almost the same amount then we should have a feb 1 opening if not that, a march 1 for damn sure.......AND A BIGGER SIZE SINCE WE HAD SUCH A HUGE CARRY OVER NO USE LEAVING FISH IN THE WATER........

Wolf

We have to use up our TAC ...
The government wont be handing over more TAC to us when we left 250 000 lbs in the water.

I say bump up the 1 under fish to 20 lbs.. whatever size that may be and REMOVE the upper size limit. If you catch a 100 lb fish keep it.

Shut it down when we reach our TAC. Time to think big picture. We can't ask for more we we have not used up what was on our plate.

The weather for the most part was great for fishing last year, and the economy have not improved significantly on either side of the USA boarder to have any greater pressure on the stock.

The people that are out hali fishing need to be able to retain more poundage. I feel the 6 annual limit is OK.

Pretty hard to even give a boat away right now....Hopefully chaning the limits will allow us to access all our TAC

Thanks for clearing that up and editing the post CL... But who said they weren't 40lbers that 160lbs that's 80lbs of meat. I could never eat that much. Even 50lbs of meat is lots for my family. I am not sure I've ever had 50lbs of halibut meat in my freezer. Being that if I was to catch a 60lb+ fish I'd like to be able to keep it. And 4 60's is 240lbs and 120lbs of meat. I'd have to give it away or better yet release it and hoped it lived.

I just thought about it like this and my mind is somewhat blown.

If you're pushing for an upper size limit slot instead of shoulder: We are giving up the chance to catch a once in a lifetime fish all year for the chance to keep a 10-12lb fish for 2 months.... think about that :p

If that 10-12lb fish was 20,30,40lbs that would be great. But allowing the killing of these small fish is just stupid and always has been.

GOD you guys!!! FRACK maybe 4 how about 2 any size FOR THE YEAR!!!!!! hey why not shut it down competently hey how about a year long season and we can only keep 15 lbers and fish on Monday, Wednesday and a Saturday. and 1 rod only and your only allowed to fish for 2 hours max.......

Like I said earlier why are we even contemplating restricting us even further point is we were under almost a 1/4 (250,000)of our quota do some of you even look at the facts ????? seriously get the facts straight before you even think ....... maybe go to some of the meetings and figure it out.......

BTW GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

I just thought about it like this and my mind is somewhat blown.

If you're pushing for upper size limit: We are giving up the chance to catch a once in a lifetime fish all year for the chance to keep a 10-12lb fish for 2 months.... think about that :p

I THINK I understand your desire to catch " a once in a lifetime fish" as you put it, BUT we had several halibut in our boat this season 70 to 100 or so pounds, hardly the fish of a lifetime, and had no problem releasing them and moving on to try and get a smaller one....If I did get one 150 pounds plus, I would be more then happy to release it, BUT how often is a 150 pound hali and larger ever brought to the boat of the average fishermen. The biggest I have ever had to the boat is about 100 plus and I was happy to settle for a photo only and was lucky to give it a quick release!!!!
Why...because it would help big time to produce more of it's kind AND it would give all of us a chance to extend the season in an effort to enjoy the challenge of fishing Halibut and bring it to the table FRESH.
We do have fishermen who want a bigger limit, no slot restrictions and don't care if we extend the season.
They are happy to take a big share of TAC, which is measured in pound's, and are often, but not always, professional guides. Often many of these fishermen are in area's where they seldom fish halibut after mid September
This may or may not be the case with you SerengetiGuide, but it certainly is the case with many.
One thing for sure is you are never going to get a consensus on this subject.
My vote goes for no change in the regs this year which will hopefully make for a March 1 thru December 31st halibut season

The regs for last year can't remain the same-we left 25% of our quota on the table through over-regulation-got to change upward!!! Somehow!!!

No change so we can be 250k under again? Not a good idea sorry.

I THINK I understand your desire to catch " a once in a lifetime fish" as you put it, BUT we had several halibut in our boat this season 70 to 100 or so pounds, hardly the fish of a lifetime, and had no problem releasing them and moving on to try and get a smaller one....If I did get one 150 pounds plus, I would be more then happy to release it, BUT how often is a 150 pound hali and larger ever brought to the boat of the average fishermen. The biggest I have ever had to the boat is about 100 plus and I was happy to settle for a photo only and was lucky to give it a quick release!!!!
Why...because it would help big time to produce more of it's kind AND it would give all of us a chance to extend the season in an effort to enjoy the challenge of fishing Halibut and bring it to the table FRESH.
We do have fishermen who want a bigger limit, no slot restrictions and don't care if we extend the season.
They are happy to take a big share of TAC, which is measured in pound's, and are often, but not always, professional guides. Often many of these fishermen are in area's where they seldom fish halibut after mid September
This may or may not be the case with you SerengetiGuide, but it certainly is the case with many.
One thing for sure is you are never going to get a consensus on this subject.
My vote goes for no change in the regs this year which will hopefully make for a March 1 thru December 31st halibut season

No change? 250k left in water...let's hope you're the only one with this odd viewpoint. Shoulder season also gives a full season...so you know. Still don't understand how people justify size restrictions which regardless of what some say do affect tourist (esp american) decisions to fish in BC all for 2 months of keeping a 10lb fish...

Funny, in reading many of the posts here, it seems, for the most part, it's the guides that are pushing this "fish of a lifetime" thing, while the "average joes" seem to be happy with the more manageable fishing experience - i.e. the less than 50 lb'rs. Look at the guide ads and the lodge ads and you'll see all of the hype about the big ones and the obligatory picture by the scale. Well, IMHO, dragging a 150 lb hali off the bottom would be about as exciting as dragging a refrigerator from the same distance - except you wouldn't have to harpoon the fridge and figure out how to get the bloody thing in and out of your boat.
Once again, speaking as an average Joe fisherman, I have no problem with the regs as they are. If anything needs to change, up the slot limits sufficiently to ensure we don't leave TAC in the water.

Like I said, shoulder is best, but if not that, then could get through whole season with 80lb (138cm) size limit and I could live with that.

ya the " fish of a lifetime"...no thanxs, taste terrible, 250k left in the water, guess it makes up for the last 40 years of pillaging..up the slot size, but i dont like the idea of catering to guides and lodges so that their clients can take big 1s...and close the the season early, my last trip out was dec 28...and would be happy to fish all year for quality fish as opposed to "lifetime fish"....

Back