Now That We Know TAC, What Should 2014 Limits Be?

Lol. I got that down as your Proxy Vote there Shawn. I still like Lorne's first response. I'm good with that. Scottish rules.

If we are going to do 1/1 mine as well do the shoulder no? Allows more economic benefits and for part of the year 2 fish.

Still think that those that don't live near Halibut should be able to take home that 2nd Halibut

Still think that those that don't live near Halibut should be able to take home that 2nd Halibut

Absolutely 2 fish possession.
1 and 1 screws everyone except locals that live where they fish.
For them 1 and 1 means 1 and 6.
It would definitely hurt the charter guys as well.
1 fish possession would make a lot more people look at buying quota.

...same rules as the commies...anything goes...seriously the whole sports hali quota is a drop in the bucket...:(

We somewhat agree. What do you think of shoulder where 2 all year other than July and aug? At the same time though an extra 83cm fish doesn't make much of a difference. Literally 4lbs of meat...that's it at best

I don't get it - the TAC this year is pretty close to last year. Last season ran to Dec 31 and the catch was 250,000 lbs under. Why are people talking about 1/1 at any time of the year? Am I missing something here?

They want 1/1 with no slot because they live close to the halibut grounds, they guide and want their clients to kill hogs. I'd rather see the lower end of the slot raised and the season close in Oct. This would hopefully save these 15 pound fish people are killing as their second fish as it gives them 5 pounds more meat. Really sad if you ask me.

I know the later season the numbers are so small they may as well leave it open.

I'd be happy seeing 1/2 with both fish being equal size. But stop the killing of small fish.

Lower end slot raised is ridiculous for a cpl of reasons. As ukee showed it doesn't do anything to catch and using dfo numbers lower end slot raising apparently makes huge difference in catch. They contradict but we know we would have to use dfo numbers so a raise of 3 lbs of a tiny Hali would be all we get. Yay for 1 lb extra of meat.... Come on FA ;)

We could go 1/2 with 40/60lb slot and still be in our numbers from last year. Protecting small and large fish well still putting meat on our tables and taking home the size of fish most of us catch and want to take home. Come on SG ;)

More slots! There is a great idea. Maybe we should have to do 25 push ups, and phone a friend before we can keep a fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sooner we get off the slot train the better.

So far my personal preference is option F
That's the shoulder option.
I understand the wants and needs with the anglers for 2 fish poss.
I hear yea but if this thread is asking for personal preference, that's my choice.
In the end I will go with what my local area SFAC wants.

I'm still going to wait for the final numbers from DFO on our rec tac.
There could be a difference between what we think we are getting and what we get.
Hopefully those numbers will come out in the next few days.

The sooner we get off the slot train the better.

So far my personal preference is option F
That's the shoulder option.
I understand the wants and needs with the anglers for 2 fish poss.
I hear yea but if this thread is asking for personal preference, that's my choice.
In the end I will go with what my local area SFAC wants.

I'm still going to wait for the final numbers from DFO on our rec tac.
There could be a difference between what we think we are getting and what we get.
Hopefully those numbers will come out in the next few days.

But wasn't it just a couple days ago you wanted 1/1. The shoulder is a good option but that stupid 83cm fish is still there. How do we raise that with out losing the second fish during the rest of the season?

Back