Not happy with DFO and the closures.... here’s a way to help get the real info out there.

Glad to see many many people on this site donating, IF you guys can share this on your social media platforms and try to get anglers that are not on this site to donate that would help.
I almost did. Then i realized that I didn't quite know what to say to rally support amongst my 99.9% of friends that don't fish. Any thoughts?

I almost did. Then i realized that I didn't quite know what to say to rally support amongst my 99.9% of friends that don't fish. Any thoughts?

I was more refuting to share it if your on any other sportsfishibg sites, face book pages ect

I was more refuting to share it if your on any other sportsfishibg sites, face book pages ect
I got kicked off the facebook vancouver area salmon fishing page lol. Apparently the guy that started it can't take a joke.

I got kicked off the facebook vancouver area salmon fishing page lol. Apparently the guy that started it can't take a joke.

It’s okay I got kicked off the Fraser valley fishing addicts page, for pointing out First Nations Supreme Court rights,

When I’m the one in a topic defending First Nations it’s defently gone way Off the rails. Next level rednecks on that page

Working on an update to post later - essentially we have completed development of the website, launched social media campaign, boosting the reach with paid adds reaching over 400,000 viewers, established a cooperative joint venture with BC Chamber and SFI called Thriving Orcas, Thriving Communities, held a media event Dec 6th, and working on outreach meetings to Chamber of Commerce groups so we can build strong Third Party Endorsers. We have also started working with Commercial and FN groups to establish open lines of communications as we all start working within DFO's Technical Working Groups to help develop management options. Our hope is to find management options that provide protection for whales, while also allowing responsible marine activities to take place. Our view is the social and economic contributions that the recreational, commercial and FN fisheries bring to Canada is a too large a price to pay by putting in place large area closures such as we experienced in 2018. In the alternative there are other win/win strategies - particularly Avoidance Zones that provide a spatial no-go zone around whales anywhere they roam. Far better option than area closures are large sanctuary areas that are closed to all vessel traffic.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. We have so far spent approximately $8,000 developing the website and boosting the social media campaign. We have hired a social media group to help us refresh the key messages and a budget to allow us to have $ to boost posts to increase our reach.

Working on an update to post later - essentially we have completed development of the website, launched social media campaign, boosting the reach with paid adds reaching over 400,000 viewers, established a cooperative joint venture with BC Chamber and SFI called Thriving Orcas, Thriving Communities, held a media event Dec 6th, and working on outreach meetings to Chamber of Commerce groups so we can build strong Third Party Endorsers. We have also started working with Commercial and FN groups to establish open lines of communications as we all start working within DFO's Technical Working Groups to help develop management options. Our hope is to find management options that provide protection for whales, while also allowing responsible marine activities to take place. Our view is the social and economic contributions that the recreational, commercial and FN fisheries bring to Canada is a too large a price to pay by putting in place large area closures such as we experienced in 2018. In the alternative there are other win/win strategies - particularly Avoidance Zones that provide a spatial no-go zone around whales anywhere they roam. Far better option than area closures are large sanctuary areas that are closed to all vessel traffic.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. We have so far spent approximately $8,000 developing the website and boosting the social media campaign. We have hired a social media group to help us refresh the key messages and a budget to allow us to have $ to boost posts to increase our reach.
Almost time for everyone's renewed 2019 contributions! Maybe that Crew Member money could go to this? Maybe it already does. Either way thanks and keep up the good work. Not sure if you've been hiding under a rock but in another short thread I made all kinds of promises about a fried chicken party at Burrard Civic marina in January. I think it would be great to promote it and do it as a fundraiser for this. Just a thought.

Thanks again for your support. One of the most important key messages is to help build widespread public awareness and support for the value the recreational fishery brings to Canada. The recreational fishery is under attack on many fronts, and as we continue to see the urbanization of Canada, fewer citizens have strong connections to our resource and lose touch with the socio-economic value it brings. We have a tremendous heritage story to tell that delivers very positive benefits to communities in coastal BC. Communities such as Bamfield and Port Renfrew are examples of coastal BC that would suffer immense harm if the recreational fishery was curtailed due to large scale Area Closures.

I should also point out that the SFI started the ball rolling by launching https://www.srkw.org/ - we want to work cooperatively to build public awareness - this is a team effort and if we all pull together in the same direction to create greater public awareness and appreciation for the recreational fishery that will help us gather in strong third party endorsers who stand up and speak for the recreational fishery. Gathering voices!

Another no-cost way people can help is to "like" and "share" our Facebook page, and also encourage people to visit both websites
https://www.facebook.com/bcorcawhales/
www.orcawhales.org
www.srkw.org.

Thanks again for your support. One of the most important key messages is to help build widespread public awareness and support for the value the recreational fishery brings to Canada. The recreational fishery is under attack on many fronts, and as we continue to see the urbanization of Canada, fewer citizens have strong connections to our resource and lose touch with the socio-economic value it brings. We have a tremendous heritage story to tell that delivers very positive benefits to communities in coastal BC. Communities such as Bamfield and Port Renfrew are examples of coastal BC that would suffer immense harm if the recreational fishery was curtailed due to large scale Area Closures.

I should also point out that the SFI started the ball rolling by launching https://www.srkw.org/ - we want to work cooperatively to build public awareness - this is a team effort and if we all pull together in the same direction to create greater public awareness and appreciation for the recreational fishery that will help us gather in strong third party endorsers who stand up and speak for the recreational fishery. Gathering voices!

Another no-cost way people can help is to "like" and "share" our Facebook page, and also encourage people to visit both websites
https://www.facebook.com/bcorcawhales/
www.orcawhales.org
www.srkw.org.
Do you guys have a sort of short and sweet click baity type headline to rally support. I'm at a loss as to what to say when sharing your site. I can't say "hey friends me and my fishing buddies want to keep doing our privileged hobby! Support these guys". I need something slightly more confrontational. As ****** as it sounds that's the only way to get people's attention, ask Trump.

So who is the "enemy"?

Do you guys have a sort of short and sweet click baity type headline to rally support. I'm at a loss as to what to say when sharing your site. I can't say "hey friends me and my fishing buddies want to keep doing our privileged hobby! Support these guys". I need something slightly more confrontational. As ****** as it sounds that's the only way to get people's attention, ask Trump.

So who is the "enemy"?

Politicians with no brain nor balls thinking only short-term about their positions and not their responsibilities. A society and political system that allows big money to trump science, logic and progress.

What is happening with this?
Donations seem to be stuck at about $10.5k.

It takes people sharing it too keep it up on sites, all the sports fishing sites, facebook pages ect,it takes an army to share it and back it.

If no one has donated recently all it means is people have not been promoting it.

I think most of the active members that pay attention to the issues have donated on this site but out their in the social media world hardly any have.

That sad truth of that matter I have come to learn is sport fishing to most people is a hobby and rather unimportant to act upon. Sure they will come on social media and complain but when it comes time to even donate 10 bucks they can find a thousand "better things" to spend the money on. Believe it or not also I see a lot of still not my area, not my problem attitudes as well.

I could go on but I think the best thing anyone could do is share the go fund me themselves and see what kind of reactions they get out of sportfishermen.

Back