Nootka Sound in mid Sept

Cozmo

Assuming border restrictions are lifted, I'm thinking about heading to Nootka in mid Sept(17th-22nd). I'm typically in Nootka from early to late July, so fishing the area in mid/late Sept would be completely foreign to me.

Is there still an opportunity at fish this late in the season? I've read that it's all rain-dependent. Any info about fishing his time of year would be much appreciated.

There may still be the odd chinook around but don’t count on it. any fish still around will most likely be fish bound for the Conuma or Birman systems and the first sniff of rain they will will be gone like a shot for their natal river. what there will be is lots of big coho around and i believe the limit is four per day at that point. we did a trip mid sept once and i was pleasantly surprised how much bottom fish we got into and dead flat calm seas as well. still worth a trip in my opinion

I agree with RB-not much in the way of chinook-coho can be hit and miss-often travelling with the chum seen jumping mid channel. If you find nothing much you might slide up to Esperanza to Saltery bay where the Tahsis channel comes out. Coho will hold in that bay quite late in sept and they can be big and willing!

Last edited:
Fished offshore Ucluelet that same timeframe years back. Chinook to 38# Coho to 20+. That was during the "Sardine Era" & Coyote Cop Car's 6" at 50 ft are the ticket. No shortage of fish.

Still an awesome place to be in Sept. Always wanted to do it. I've heard from locals that there are decent sized coho in Sept, but, have no personal experience. The strange thing is Nootka seems to close its doors normally after Labour Day. Always thought they could get a few more weeks up there. Do it, let us know...

A few years back I was told by what I thought was a reliable source that there are near zero Coho through Nootka in September but used to be. Seems a though I was fed a line, not too surprising I guess! Also, if you plan to launch at Gold River you might want to check on that.

A few years back I was told by what I thought was a reliable source that there are near zero Coho through Nootka in September but used to be. Seems a though I was fed a line, not too surprising I guess! Also, if you plan to launch at Gold River you might want to check on that.

As I said they can be hit or miss but for reliability I would just motor up the Tahsis channel and hit Saltery bay-holding ground for way more rivers and creeks plus some Nootka bound fish come through there. You could hook up for the night at the head of the Bay as well.

September in Esperanza like Nootka is dependent on the rain . Chinook would not be expected in any numbers, but could be some late fish offshore esp. Can be big coho out around center island, in some of the bays, saltery was mentioned. Havebt tried it but using chum gear similar to what they do in Campbell river might work too with the chum runs heading to all the small creeks and rivers in the area. We have rooms available to rent in September at Port Eliza. Bring own boat and food.

Back