Nootka Sound and Tides Effect

BDog Fisher

Hi Everyone:

Heading to Nootka on Aug 9 for one week. Been doing a lot of research. This site has been great so far. Can experienced fishers give me an idea on how tides effect the inside fishery.

Obviously fishing mornings and tides changes are best. However, what trolling direction is best on a ebb tide? Should I be trolling with the tide toward the open ocean? How about on an incoming tide? Is it best to start fishing at the opening of the inlet and intercept fish as they enter the sound?

The second week in Aug has big tide swings with a morning low tide. I think this is not good as light tides with am high tide would be best. Any thoughts?

I am asking these questions as other areas I fish, trolling direction and tides are critical. Hopefully by Aug there will be so many fish that I won't have to worry too much. Thanks for all the info this site offers.

I am likewise interested.
We are also hitting Nootka for the weekend of Aug. 9 and 10.
August 10 has a full moon and I know that the recent 'super'moon had an effect on various fisheries.
Any experience out there for Nootka?

Hi Everyone:

Heading to Nootka on Aug 9 for one week. Been doing a lot of research. This site has been great so far. Can experienced fishers give me an idea on how tides effect the inside fishery.

Obviously fishing mornings and tides changes are best. However, what trolling direction is best on a ebb tide? Should I be trolling with the tide toward the open ocean? How about on an incoming tide? Is it best to start fishing at the opening of the inlet and intercept fish as they enter the sound?

The second week in Aug has big tide swings with a morning low tide. I think this is not good as light tides with am high tide would be best. Any thoughts?

I am asking these questions as other areas I fish, trolling direction and tides are critical. Hopefully by Aug there will be so many fish that I won't have to worry too much. Thanks for all the info this site offers.

In my experience, on the flood, troll with the tide for the inside. These fish are pointed up the inlet and aren't turning back. As for ebbs, I don't find a direction that works better than others, rather hit the popular holding areas...my fav is Camel Rock by far. Generally also try to troll FAST. We've gotten limits when you don't even see another net out. Put the line deep in the pins and troll faster than others around you! Just my opinions and experience, may be different with others.

Hi Everyone:

Bdog, I've fished Nootka Sound for the past 15 years(about 10-14 days per yr), I'm actually heading back up there in a few days. I'm no expert or guide by any means but I'll give you my 2 cents and experiences. The slack tides(+ or - 2 hrs either side) definitely are your best times to fish(inside), that time of year Camel Rock, San Carlos, hoiss pnt, beer-can bay the wall up from cougar creek etc, all can be very productive. Every year seems to be a little different, but for the most part fish can be found in the top 75' (25-75') of water, I fish with anchovy in a teaser about 5-6' behind a flasher, but others have had good success with imitation(spoons, hootchie's, plugs etc.) Like Donnie d said and my experience is the same, if you think your trolling fast, troll faster :) I generally try to target the 3-4mph range when trolling for Chinook(Springs) in Nootka.

Nootka sound is a huge area, lots of places to fish and explore. If you're not familiar with the area, just look for the herds of boats and listen to the chatter on the radio :) Good luck, it's a great area to fish.

Bdog, I've fished Nootka Sound for the past 15 years(about 10-14 days per yr), I'm actually heading back up there in a few days. I'm no expert or guide by any means but I'll give you my 2 cents and experiences. The slack tides(+ or - 2 hrs either side) definitely are your best times to fish(inside), that time of year Camel Rock, San Carlos, hoiss pnt, beer-can bay the wall up from cougar creek etc, all can be very productive. Every year seems to be a little different, but for the most part fish can be found in the top 75' (25-75') of water, I fish with anchovy in a teaser about 5-6' behind a flasher, but others have had good success with imitation(spoons, hootchie's, plugs etc.) Like Donnie d said and my experience is the same, if you think your trolling fast, troll faster :) I generally try to target the 3-4mph range when trolling for Chinook(Springs) in Nootka.

Nootka sound is a huge area, lots of places to fish and explore. If you're not familiar with the area, just look for the herds of boats and listen to the chatter on the radio :) Good luck, it's a great area to fish.

Which channel is most of the chatter on up there?

Yes VHF 6 is the most used in the area. Critter Cove, Westview Marina & Lodge & Moutcha Bay all are on CH6. You are arriving near the peck of the peck of the Nootka/Conuma river. You will Catch lots of salmon. Enjoy!!

Great info everyone, thanks. Does anyone have any experience with big tide swings? Do the bigger tides kill the bite? For the inner fishery, is it tough to troll into the current during a big tide swing?

On a incoming (FLOOD) tide, you really really really want to be trolling parallel to any "WALL" that the tide has to hit square on from the outside. (If this hint is not big enough for you, just stay home).

Second, when the outgoing (EBB) tide drains the water out of Thasis inlet, it gets swirling pretty good as the inlet opens into the larger branch beside Strange Island. Think of trout hiding behind rocks mid stream waiting for nymphs to float by. If you find any sort of point where the water rushes past, you might find big fish sitting in the protected water behind the point, or maybe a land slide area.

Anything more than that, you have to pay for.

Drewski

Back