Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

We are arriving in tahsis on Tuesday. We have fished nootka before, going to try esperenza side a bit, any tips would be great!

We are bringing some prawning gear as well, is there any descent place to try close to tahsis?

Thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, most likely Blue Sharks. I caught one on Salmon gear a few years back, out on the Highway. They fight pretty good - much better than their cousins, the Dogfish.

If you catch one, be careful bringing it into the boat. They can be very aggressive. The one I got tried repeatedly to bite me while it was thrashing around on deck.

Also, if you want to keep one for eating - skin it and fillet it on the boat as soon as possible. Blues get pretty stinky, pretty fast!

july3107-walsh.jpg

Can't keep blue sharks anymore...

I've caught dogfish bigger than that in the pic. at least i assumed they were just big butt dogfish....

just back from 4 days. Camel rock was the place to be as the reef was slow while dolleys and burrwood held mostly shakers. Not too many tyees this season so far. We managed to get a 30 the last day at camel, but it was one of the few caught so far. Hopefully the biggies move in soon.

^^^ what fish lifter said
.. my son is up in nootka working but has been doing some fishing before/after work and has said San Carlos to the wall has been hot lately. .his largest has been 28 with the rest in the high teens

Fished nootka from last Wednesday to Monday this week .... First time fishing springs but we did very good ran 2,lines boated about 30 fish never once hit the morning bite though lol .... Hoiss produced the best for us .. Biggest boated 25,lbs
Used everything from bait to spoons ... Caught one coho at bajo but only fished it for 25mins .

Will be up this Sunday thru next Saturday. Will try to post report from Critter (if I have enough quarters).....

Will be up this Sunday thru next Saturday. Will try to post report from Critter (if I have enough quarters).....
Have a good one... been really to busy to post my report....But it was on fire inside and one could catch pretty big numbers if one choose too.. biggest was a 34lber for the trip ...Hali where good off shore for us this year too....
cheers

heading up tomorrow and hope to be fishing sunday to thursday. starting out near cougar creek and will prob make a run outside if the weather looks nice. say hi or wave if you see the 30' maxweld cat... grey with burgandy trim around the top... looking forward to fishing this area!
have a good one,
bigD

Fished nootka from last Wednesday to Monday this week .... First time fishing springs but we did very good ran 2,lines boated about 30 fish never once hit the morning bite though lol .... Hoiss produced the best for us .. Biggest boated 25,lbs
Used everything from bait to spoons ... Caught one coho at bajo but only fished it for 25mins .

Let's see some fish **** Travo!

Found out a confirmed report that a local big lodge have catered to the rich and sold out canadians..brutal. Hope those american customers enjoy they're 600.00 halibut.

Found out a confirmed report that a local big lodge have catered to the rich and sold out canadians..brutal. Hope those american customers enjoy they're 600.00 halibut.

If we are not willing to support our lodges, we should not expect them to go broke. If Americans want to pay and we don't, not their fault. It's up to us to manage and protect our fishery. Whining will not protect and grow our fishery in Nootka! I have found the lodges in Nootka to be affordable. Also I am glad that our American friends want to come north and fish. Creates jobs. Plus the US folks have done a way better job of managing their fishery in Alaska and Washington. We cd learn from them. Let's not dish them!

If we are not willing to support our lodges, we should not expect them to go broke. If Americans want to pay and we don't, not their fault. It's up to us to manage and protect our fishery. Whining will not protect and grow our fishery in Nootka! I have found the lodges in Nootka to be affordable. Also I am glad that our American friends want to come north and fish. Creates jobs. Plus the US folks have done a way better job of managing their fishery in Alaska and Washington. We cd learn from them. Let's not dish them!

Say what???

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you post. we are managing our halibut quota way better than Washington. They had 7 days to fish............that's it. They can keep any size and that eats up their quota fast.

regarding buying quota, if you followed the threads here for the last 2 years instead of showing up and spouting off (unless you are another username for that ***** disturber Lorne Parker)

sparkie definately is not lorne ,lorne hates the purchase quota as much as most of us. , bizzarre that fistofino would even post such a whacked thought of it being him lol, and sparkie you do not know of what you speak,, at- all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparkie was not sounding too bad up to the point of his accolades for purchased quota. Oh well. Yes we need jobs in the Nootka area, Yes we need tourism from people who will spend money...

No, we don't need sport fishermen being undermined by endorsing the division of TAC so poorly to the sporties, with such arbitrary slot sizes that really do nothing to protect the fish.

Too bad we had no way to out the real guy behind the post and see what his true agenda is. The Americans would have been just as happy if the lodge was allowed to keep a good fish without paying a ransom. That is all the rest of us ask. Who knows, maybe the tourists would have given a $600 tip instead?

Drewski

Any action in esperanza? Be hitting Tahsis on tuesday, can't wait!

Any road reports from Gold River to Tahsis?

Back