Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

My brother and I just got back from Ezperanza/Nootka. We stayed at Westview Marina and I can't say enough good things about the facilities and the people there. It is such a pleasure to see a well run resort.

We arrived last Wednesday and fished thru yesterday morning. The fishing was off the charts fantastic from the get go and only got better. It seemed like there were Springs everywhere that we put lines out. We stuck to Nootka for most of the trip (thank you for that tip Fish On John). It was such a joy to quickly move into catch and release mode and enjoy that aspect of the fishery since we had the luxury of knowing that we could quickly have our limit when we wanted. Our final morning had three doubles on Springs . . . Wow.

The hot setup for us was an anchovy on an 8' leader with an Army Truck or Green Strype Flasher. Teaser head color was glow. We stuck to this setup at 51' and 57' of wire pretty much the whole time. Why switch when what you are using keeps working. A nice tight drill bit roll on the anchovy and close attention to speed were important. It's also important to pay attention to how a spot changes with the tide. By doing so we were able to catch fish all day long although the morning and flood were the best times.

I'd like to give a big shout out to the other boats while we were there. People were so great about cooperating and moving out of the way when a fish was on (which was a lot). It's such a pleasure to see that.

Tight lines everyone!

Alan

tyeeking Thanks for your comment regarding the Marina & Lodge. But Cathy ( My Better 1/2) & FOJ Love it & the people. Thanks!!
Legal detail, BOTH Ferrer Pt. & Burdwood are in the NEW 1over/ 1under areas.
Yes it is far better Chinook inside the water has gone hot OUT ON THE Highway that is not GOOD for Salmon out there.
BUT it is for Albacore Tuna in CLOSE SOON!

That's not what I said..... Please re-read my post and check the link I posted.

Rule is two under 77cm
FA and I have had our maps out-he is correct if you are fishing Burdwood point and west is 2 under-I have always considered the Burdwood shore from discovery point east down to the light across from Bligh Island. I consider where FA was talking about the Escalante shore and it is definitely 2 under 77cm.
Guy has to be a Philly lawyer!!LOL

tyeeking Thanks for your comment regarding the Marina & Lodge. But Cathy ( My Better 1/2) & FOJ Love it & the people. Thanks!!
Legal detail, BOTH Ferrer Pt. & Burdwood are in the NEW 1over/ 1under areas.
Yes it is far better Chinook inside the water has gone hot OUT ON THE Highway that is not GOOD for Salmon out there.
BUT it is for Albacore Tuna in CLOSE SOON!

FOJ you better read the regs.....

I really hope every reads and understands the regs. before getting them selfs into trouble. Going on another persons words isn't going to keep you from getting a fine. I believe this was an example for the second time on this thread this year. The last one was regarding sockeye. Take the time and save your self from receiving a fine.

On to another topic about our trip...... I couldn't believe the amount of sharks we saw well only being 5-10 miles offshore. Had a huge one about 25-30 behind the boat with a dorsal fin almost 1.5-2 out of the water and later had a 7-8 footer nosing right up to the boat for about 5 mins. I have never seen that before. I was able to rub the shark with my fishing rod.... Sorry wasn't about to use my hand :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope every reads and understands the regs. before getting them selfs into trouble. Going on another persons words isn't going to keep you from getting a fine. I believe this was an example for the second time on this thread this year. The last one was regarding sockeye. Take the time and save your self from receiving a fine.
Couldn't agree more with FA on this one-it is your responsibility to check regs yourself. classic example of what one person calls the Burdwood shore is not exactly the same as what another person calls it. Look at the map yourself and decide where and what you want to fish.

Will be there tomorrow, staying at Tuta instead of Cougar creek for a change ( trip # 8) and will be looking to fish some new area's to get away from the crowd.Was thinking of Discovery/Burdwood area and also trying for some hali there.

The one beside the boat by the tail, color and slenderness I would have said it was a blue shark. Which is not unheard of in our waters. For 5 mins we glared at it and played with it. I even dangled a coho it front of it a few times. Never let him take it though. Two iPhones and a camera on board and no pictures taken.

Should be plenty of blues offshore this time of year--they were a pain in the butt on the commercial trollers as they'd pick up the blood trail from cleaning fish on the boat and start following you, taking salmon off the lines as you brought them up. My brother favoured the .357 cure but I used 20 ft of downrigger line with a big triple prong buried into a salmon head dangled in the wake. Handbombing blues was fun.
T2

Seen some big ones off the west coast of the charlottes back in my commercial fishing days . Had 3 of us trying to hand line one in and it won easily 10-12' but hard to tell. Always wondered if you could get one with a halibut rig, maybe I should give it a try on the weekend.

The one beside the boat by the tail, color and slenderness I would have said it was a blue shark. Which is not unheard of in our waters. For 5 mins we glared at it and played with it. I even dangled a coho it front of it a few times. Never let him take it though. Two iPhones and a camera on board and no pictures taken.

Yes, most likely Blue Sharks. I caught one on Salmon gear a few years back, out on the Highway. They fight pretty good - much better than their cousins, the Dogfish.

If you catch one, be careful bringing it into the boat. They can be very aggressive. The one I got tried repeatedly to bite me while it was thrashing around on deck.

Also, if you want to keep one for eating - skin it and fillet it on the boat as soon as possible. Blues get pretty stinky, pretty fast!

july3107-walsh.jpg

Uh oh, I think I stumbled upon the bad information thread :(.

Back