Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Good to hear there are fish being picked up inside. Has anyone fished further inside than the wall/camel with any good results? Past few years for me ive found that even well into the second week of august my favorite spots further inside weren't producing.

Cheers

I'm new to fishing Nootka. Looking at the DFO map, Tlupana Inlet is open (April 1 to March 31) but hardly anyone talks about that area above Hoiss Pt. Is the upper reaches of Tlupana Inlet worth fishing in early August?

I'm new to fishing Nootka. Looking at the DFO map, Tlupana Inlet is open (April 1 to March 31) but hardly anyone talks about that area above Hoiss Pt. Is the upper reaches of Tlupana Inlet worth fishing in early August?

It was three years ago but each year if different but mid Aug was better.

There are lots of fish by late July inside the inlet. San Carlos, Camel, Three Finger, Hisnet, The Wall, Argonaut Pt can all produce. My fav are Tahsis Inlet, San Carlos and Strange Isl.

Nice burn John. You take the time to post some very good info and there is always someone that's got to be dick.

Some people need to learn how to fish.

We fished Dolly's last night and caught 5 springs in 1.5 hours.

Heading to the Reef this am.

I'm not familiar with "Dolly's" codfather. Can you help me out where that is? Thanks!

Just on the inlet side of the boundary sign outside of Friendly Cove.

I'll be there this weekend then from the 31st to the 10th. I'll be camped at Cougar fishin outta a Yellow Double eagle.

Just got back from a couple days out in Nootka. Fishing was good. We stayed at Critter Cove and I think everyone was bringing in fish, mostly teens to low twenties. We fished two of our mornings outside at the reef and though it was a bit rolly the first morning was awesome with fish after fish caught on anchovies 30 -50 feet just before high tide slack. The second day was calmer but the clarity of the water was way down (very brown) and we didn't do as well... maybe we couldn't find the right gear for those conditions? Evening fishing inside was pretty good; we only went as far as the Camel Rock area and there were fish to be caught. We heard that white hoochies were also doing well. We didn't see any fish above 25lbs come in but lots in the high teens to low twenties.
The bottom fishing outside was productive.
We also saw fisheries out and about checking people and heard they were targeting (among other things) people fishing in the slot size zone where the fish had to be under 77cm. The lighthouse was a popular and apparently productive spot but as soon as fisheries showed up in Friendly Cove all those boats slowly drifted back down into Nootka and below the line.
Another great year in Nootka. Wish I had more time up there as there is so much area left to explore!

So I have a question around the surf line under 77cm rule (and I am very much a rule follower). A lot of good spots are right on the line and so one might hook a fish on one side if the line but land it on the other. My inclination is to be conservative and assume that regardless I will follow the most restrictive rule but seriously what is the rule on that?

There are so many places to fish up there and do well without having to fish in a restricted area. Everyone is their to fish....all day or multiple days....you have time on your side and most of the time have to release fish to stay within your limits.

Was at Critter Cove on the weekend as well. We stayed inside and did not limit. We wound up with 9 real nice springs between three guys so can't complain. Fishing inside was not hot on the weekend, but was not bad either. The hot spots inside seemed to move from day to day. Most consistent for folks seemed to be Coopte and the south end of Strange a.k.a Salter pt. based on talk on the dock. Hoiss, Discovery and Dolly's produced best for us. Heard San Carlos was hot on Monday.

We did not get outside this trip but those who did, did very well. When we were at Dolly's Fisheries Officers were sitting out there watching things closely at Friendly cove. Good to see frankly. Watched a couple boats get busted for their poor decisions with respect to the line. Rumour is gear was confiscated, fines were issued and possible charges... all following interrogations by the officers. Another rumour is that they were/are using some pretty high-tech techniques to help identify the poachers.

Any white based hoochie with glow properties produced for us. Bait was untouched for us. Most fish also came on our top rod.

Those of you who are on your way, I am sure it is only getting better each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes on a lot of points made in resent posts. Yes DFO is out there Watching the lines at the Lighthouse & Ferrer very closely. Next they will be at Coopty & other popular point checking hooks & retentions. Good on them. There are LOTS of legal fish to catch.
Yes the Salmon fishing is Good BUT, it is getting better & better each day. We are seeing more people getting limits as well as seeing more 30+lb Springs on the cleaning tables.
HOT SPOTS REMAIN THE SAME for now:
Nootka- Dolly's to Coopte
Esperanza- Ferrer, Outer Black Rk. & the seaward side of Catala Is. as well as Rosa Harbour.
Yes White hoochies & turds with tinsel are doing well.However from our observation if you want limits run at least one side with BAIT.

Over to Nootka on Monday-Burdwood by 11 am hit it right-40 to 45 feet Irish cream/cop car 3.5 coyote and anchovy. Died at 2 pm over to dolly's-traffic jam of 15 boats-decided to snooze. 7pm around 15 boats working the line and around to the monument-fairly slow 2 fish boated and one was ours-50 ft -anchovy-Tuesday first boat to the Bajo buoy in a SEaster-water was the colour of chocolate milk-couldn't see the ball down 1 ft-hung in there for 3 hours-dead -dead dead. Some kind of algae bloom-different doesn't stick to your line. talked to 3 other guys and only the occasional take-didn't try bottom fish. I don't think I'd bother until a positive report comes in. Escalante and Burdwood were dead tues. Camel rock, san carlos hoiss and coopte were holding fish-again anchovy was the main winner-coyote and a 602 Yamashita hoochy worked-40 to 60 feet depending on where you were.Burdwood this morning -first light 10 boats for 21/2 hours-no bites-dead, Dolly's and the monument were dead this morning. Camel Rock was ok and hoiss and "the wall" were probably the best. It ain't hot, You have to work at it-sure there are a lot of fish coming in but man I have never seen so many boats in Nootka. For now in the Nootka area I would stick to the inside-outside is not producing-until the water clears or you hear a positive report-be patient and concentrate on rolling that bait right-and put your time in!! Remember-outside I'm only referring to Bajo and Macquinna-I went no farther north. Hope that helps. Tight Lines

One of the most informative and accurate reports from Nootka I've heard for a while. Thanks Spring Fever. I will be there second week in August. Hopefully the fish will be too.

SF, when we were up July 10-14 that same brown colored water was present at Bajo. Strange and very dark. We still found fish out there with the brown water on the outer reef south side. North side wasn't as active. I agree that things at least when we were there was not as active same week last 7 consecutive years from my comparison.

SF, when we were up July 10-14 that same brown colored water was present at Bajo. Strange and very dark. We still found fish out there with the brown water on the outer reef south side. North side wasn't as active. I agree that things at least when we were there was not as active same week last 7 consecutive years from my comparison.
This water was downright disturbing-very dark- all the way from Macquina out beyond the can-we hit 1 coho in 21/2 hrs-not normal for this time of year at all. We keep hearing of lots of coho in the forecast-last week I was in Winter Harbour-one coho out of 30 springs to the boat-this week at Nootka-I really moved around because I have little interest in fishing inside with the crowd so I fished all the outside areas as I always do in the summer. It was most unusual-they held few fish. The only thing I can put my finger on is the water colour. I moved inside to get fish and strangely the water colour was normal and there were the fish!! and a couple of hundred boats!! LOL of note-while the ramp was very busy it was operating in a reasonable and timely manner.

Back