Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Hey FOJ, please dont exaggerate on the fishing... Esperanza inlet including Center Island, Rosa Harbour, and inside of Catela Island has been very dead for the last 2.5 weeks and 40 boats we've talked to have reported the same. We haven't heard of a single coho being caught on the inside and only the odd spring. We are all thinking it will pick up any day now on the inside but it sure hasn't yet!!! However the fishing has been great on the surf line and outside. Lot's of 10-25 lb springs out there to get your limits, but only the odd coho out there. BTW lots of people think you should start paying for some advertising on this site as it is not fair to the people that do pay for it, just sayin......

I fail to see one piece of advertising in FOJ' s quote unless you happen to know that FOJ is a Marina owner. If you don't like his reports-Don't read them. You don't single out the Codfather and yet he is a Guide (a good one) and he has half a page of fish pictures from a supposedly dead area. Maybe you should pick only the reports that are gloomy-hope it's not mine as I'm heading over on Monday and back Wed. I'll try not to get over excited on my report.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE make your report as soon as you get home, I'll be leaving Thursday morning for there, .........I hope you can see the humor
in this?
Good or bad I will make a report- I'll try not to advertise my new position as head Gigolo for the newly forming Nootka Old Timers Dance Troop!! Seriously- only tongue in cheek-pick the reports from guys you know-guides and marina and motel owners are always going to be overly optimistic-but the reports are useful non-the -less-not everyone reports so they help to fill in the blank spots. At least they report and I enjoy reading them-but I always have my own game plan when I go fishing!!

You Should show up you at the Marina cleaning between 2-5pm when the 8 cleaning tables are choked with fish. Or maybe you should come talk to me & we can agree what you should be using to catch fish & where specifically to fish. We do not have to exaggerate'
Our reports are straight up. We have a creel surveyor onsite, dated pictures & lots of fishers to back our reports. Get over it Fishing is Fishing not Catching for everyone.. Just sayin...have a nice day!!

Back to fishing report enough of the other stuff. Just saying..
Esperanza & Nootka are stacked at the mouth of the inlet & sound with 20-28 lb Chinook. Make it a GREAT DAY!!

Nice burn John. You take the time to post some very good info and there is always someone that's got to be dick.

Some people need to learn how to fish.

We fished Dolly's last night and caught 5 springs in 1.5 hours.

Heading to the Reef this am.

One must observe that this Nootka thread seems to be mostly a promo channel for the guides, I take it with a grain of salt. In my sixty years of fishing I found the quiet loner guys were usually the best. "Times they are a changin". Remember there's a fire ban

One must observe that this Nootka thread seems to be mostly a promo channel for the guides, I take it with a grain of salt. In my sixty years of fishing I found the quiet loner guys were usually the best. "Times they are a changin". Remember there's a fire ban

"One must observe" that although some of the posts are guides, these are the guys that are out there on the fish. They are taking their personal time to post reports for our benefit. In your 13 posts here, all you seem to do is complain and beak...

I say thanks to all that actually post reports here, regardless of what you do for a living..

Damn..........a fire ban............there goes the roasted part but I do have a broiled recipe:
http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/2013/05/how-to-broil-whole-cabazon.html

x2 from Coachman "I say thanks to all that actually post reports here, regardless of what you do for a living.."

I REALLY appreciate the efforts of everyone who posts fishing reports. The detail that FOJ, Codfather and others go into about colours, baits, depths, locations goes above and beyond any self advertising promo...imo. If they were only on here to promote their businesses, they would just post pictures of happy customers and no other info...but they don't. I've seen reports of what was caught, on what tide, what bait, what depth and where!!...Not too many fisherpeople are willing to part with that much info....they should be commended not criticized...imo.

Looking forward to my first trip of year up there, come up Thurs through Sunday and back again following week. Had to miss a trip this weekend due to work. Can't wait, thanks for all the reports
3 Amigos

i really appreciate the efforts of everyone who posts fishing reports. The detail that foj, codfather and others go into about colours, baits, depths, locations goes above and beyond any self advertising promo...imo. If they were only on here to promote their businesses, they would just post pictures of happy customers and no other info...but they don't. I've seen reports of what was caught, on what tide, what bait, what depth and where!!...not too many fisherpeople are willing to part with that much info....they should be commended not criticized...imo.

...........x2 :)

Just back from quick weekend trip, coopte point to hoiss was on fire both mornings. Boxed 6 Saturday morning, lost 4 more. Sunday morning boxed 4 more and lost another 2 in two hours. Hot ticket was glow hootchie or glow anchovy. All in the 18-25 range, nothing big but sure scrappy!!

Nootka--It is true the Chinook have move into Coopte Pt. Big Time. The larger fish seem to be deeper 40-50ft. Glow anything or Anchovies are working well.
Esperanza-- Rosa Harbour & the patch of water between Rosa & Centre Is., the Chinook & a few Coho are so thick it is difficult to get both rods fishing. NICE problem!!!
Outside Is flattening out for the next several days. Lots of boats headed to the hali. & ling Spots.

Buckets getting tougher to get John,but I have some for you.Will try Thurs. this week for some more,they got wise and started getting a little money for them but cheap anyway,see you on the 27th....Ron.Gonna have to collect them thru the winter this year!

Just wanted to add my views of the week.
Just finished fishing out of Critter for the last week and a bit and the fishing seems to be getting better and better.
Started fishing on the 12th and Beano/Maquinna was definitely the place to get your knuckles wrapped. Fishing whole herring and anchovies in a teaser head with dummy flashers on each of the balls. There was definitely a "tide" bite for the first few days and many of the boats had figured this out and waited out the dry spells. Bite seemed to last for a few hours and many of the fish were in the teens to low twenties. I don't know what these fish were eating but their attitudes were very aggressive and great battles were the order of the day. Usually headed in early in the afternoon and then fished Camel, Hoiss or San Carlos for an evening fish. Again, having a late evening tide change was an added bonus that brought some spectacular results. Used the same gear as outside but found that the herring outfished the anchovies while fishing inside. Look out for seals between Camel and San Carlos as three of our boats that fish together lost fish to this fellow or fellows.
Later in the week fished the same gear at the reef and larger fish were around but not in great numbers. Only caught two coho for the week with the rest of the boats only landing one each throughout the week. I was fishing Haida Gwaii earlier in the year so I would expect to see some great coho fishing on the board very shortly. Depths during the fishing trip varied from 20 feet early in the morning, 30-40 during the day and all the way down to 65 feet when fishing the Wall and San Carlos.
Now for my only concern of the week: On July 15th there is an under 77cm. rule for Chinook at the tide line, same as it has been for a few years now. The lack of observance by many individuals of this rule is quite frustrating, with boat after boat, guides and non alike netting anything that comes to the boat. Of all the fish I caught in this area, only three of about 30 were even close to this slot limit and of those three only two made the grade. Talked to a friend in fisheries about this regulation and they were suppose to be out in force in the next few weeks and last year over 20 citations were handed out in a morning road check. This outside fishery is a great time for some C&R and we may lose this and lower Tahsis if this flaunting of the regulations continues. Just my two cents worth.
Did not get to fish Bajo on the last two days as the weather was a little rough and tough but me thinks this and Beano will be great well into August.
Hope this is of help and tight lines.

Back