Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Just returned from Nootka last night.
The bite is starting to improve again the last 2 days after slowing last week after the heavy rains and subsequent algae bloom.
Lots of Jacks and small females during our stay, very quiet for us out at Bajo which was surprising.
Avg fish this trip was 15-18lb, largest was 23.
As always, a great stay at Critter Cove, thanks again to Cam and Catherine!

Returned last night and concur with all those before me. I personally had decent luck picking up my fish but I know for some it was a tough go. Sunday it seemed like it turned on in a few places and we started to mark allot more fish. The best is yet to come!!!

I just returned after fishing outside of Esperanza Inlet in the HWY at the 'T' I believe. We were with one of Westview Marina's guides(Pete). Out about 14 miles in 240'-270' down 160' - 180' fishing a white hootchie and a terd coloured hootchie with a green plaid flasher. We boated 3 springs in the teens, lost another decent one and small coho slipped the hook. We moved to the Hali hole down 275' and quickly picked up 3 chicken Hali within 1/2 hour. Went looking for more springs and picked up 2 decent canary rockfish trolling the same baits close to bottom. This all new to me so forgive me if I have the terms wrong. There were a lot of commercial trollers out there(about 20), maybe that had an impact. Listening to the chatter with guides, even though, the seas were calm, fishing was tougher. When we got back others seemed to do better for springs at Ferrier Pt.

As for FOJ, and all the Westview Marina staff, outstanding people ! He put together a VERY reasonable package with meals and nice accomodation for our family of 3. Also, because my wife was with us, he put us on a 30' boat with a head that felt VERY safe. I cannot say enough good things about his operation. If you want further details please PM me.

Although by West Coast standards, not a banner fishing day, it was one of my best days ever on the water !! A once in a lifetime bucket list thing for me to do. Very thankful to all those on the board who suggested fishing this part of WCVI !:D:D

Mid to late Aug outlook.

Another over the top fishing day on the highway. Not may fish over 30lbs. But lots of Chinooks & Coho. White hoochies with false flasher( never thought I'd Like Falsies) & 6in glow spoons won the day with NO flashers. Limits for most boats with hali after salmon catching right in the the same area. Waters off shore will remain calm at least for a couple of days. So Go out there when its this GOOD! Lots of hatchery marked fish still coming in. Thank You USA!!! Check out http://www.youfish.tv/nootka-sound-esperanza-fishing-report-july-25-2014_b437df037.html

Fish on John, what do you expect the outlook to be like in the last two weeks in Aug?

Nakoda boater
Well predictions are just that. Having said that while talking with DFO science recently, they are convinced that all the salmon runs are late. The clipped American fish are still passing by the mouth of Esperanza Inlet & The Highway (Hyw) in huge numbers. That is why we are seeing so MANY 15-25lb Springs.
Also the Coho Which JUST arrived on the Hyw are larger than normal for this time of yr. 8-12lb. Reason? They have been feeding heavily north of here. Also the Sockeye run are finally starting to materialized, LATE. WE may soon get an opening on WCVI on these Sockeye as the need stocks for the rivers is getting close to what is needed for spawning.
OK a straight response to your question: FOJ thinks- that the last 2 wks of August As well as the 1st 2wks of September will be the BEST Salmon fishing of the yr, especial for BIG Springs & Coho. Fly fishing for Coho around Centre Is. should be the Best it has been since 2008.
The really Good News is that the Salmon Enhancement Derby which is held here & supports volunteer hatcheries in Tahsis, Gold River, Zebellos, & the Federal Hatchery at Conuma. Will see lot of BIG FISH. Last year the funding to these hatcheries raises put 2 million Chinook fry in the water.
Show Up & Hold On it will very PRODUCTIVE!!

Thanks for all the reports guys. Very helpful. I am heading out to Nootka next week. Some of you have referred to the "T". Where is that exactly ?

Paul, its very hard to tell you where it is without physically showing you on a chart. Where are you going to be launching and leaving from? Its roughly 12 miles past the surfline heading West NW from the end of Esperanza inlet.

Fished inside Nootka last weekend, managed 12 20-25lbs. Boston, Salter Coopte and Hoiss. Early morning and evening were the only times worth fishing. Glow kriplpled anchovy teaser caught every fish. Sad to see the mackerel in the sound. Schools of them at the docks in Moutcha, kids catching them at the cleaning station, so close to the Canuma hatchery....sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished inside Nootka last weekend, managed 12 20-25lbs. Boston, Salter Coopte and Hoiss. Early morning and evening were the only times worth fishing. Glow kriplpled anchovy teaser caught every fish. Sad to see the mackerel in the sound. Schools of them at the docks in Moutcha, kids catching them at the cleaning station, so close to the Canuma hatchery....sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they push the salmon out?!?

Was catching and killing alot of mackerel in the san juan river estuary in port renfrew aswell. Not this year but in the past. Very sad.

-KK

Me and a buddy are heading out to Nootka for the 10th and 11th.
If we wanted to kill some mackeral for hali bait, what would we use to get them?
Anything that looks like a salmon smolt?
Don't mind trying to help the mackeral up the food chain!

If we wanted to kill some mackeral for hali bait, what would we use to get them?

Pretty much anything you are planning on using for salmon bait. Small spoons, anchovies. Every year I shake them off angrily and then forget the limit is like 100 per day, and that they make excellent Hali and crab bait. It's the west coast circle of life.

Paul, its very hard to tell you where it is without physically showing you on a chart. Where are you going to be launching and leaving from? Its roughly 12 miles past the surfline heading West NW from the end of Esperanza inlet.

Thanks Vanisland. I am staying on Nootka, close to Friendly Cove. Relative to Bajo Reef, where is the T ? It sounds like it is closer to Esperanza.

Down in Cabo, we used sabiki sets to catch mackerel for marlin bait, just jigging up and down.

Back