Email from David Korsch

Dogbreath

PREDATOR'S PEN Date: March 1st/2006.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

We experienced a bit of a slow down in the winter Chinook fishing during late January/early February, though there were a few "hot" bites thrown into that stretch as well. Now that we seem to have finally rid ourselves of that extended pattern of heavy wind and rain that plagued us from December through early February it is quite a bit nicer out on the water, and the fishing seems to be perking up again.

In Mid-Feb I was out several days in a row, and fished a few areas I don't usually go to during the winter. Strong outflow winds kept me out of Howe Sound on Thursday Feb 16th and Friday Feb 17th, and "forced" me to fish in Vancouver Harbour - not a bad thing at all in hind sight! On those mornings there was an early high slack tide at the Capilano, and we hit good fish there both days (though we had a bit of a problem landing a few of them), and seals were not a problem. Later in the morning on the ebbing tide we trolled out by the QB marker, and while there seems to be decent numbers of fish out there this is where seals are a big problem. Last weekend, the Bell Buoy produced VERY well (anglers landing two or three legal fish in addition to several undersize and shakers) without the seal issue, but the furry critters seem to find that area by early this week. Most of the legal fish from Vancouver Harbour have been smaller (up to 10 lbs).

Indications are that Howe Sound's fishery is getting stronger again (a friend landed 3 legal at the waterfall Feb 24th), and seals haven't been much of a problem in this area for the past couple winters. These fish are generally larger than those in Vancouver Harbour - there was a 30 lb taken in mid-Feb at Twin Islands, and a 20 lb taken from Defense Islands in early February. One of my friend's 3 fish was also well into the "teens" (78 cm).

Various spoons (2 3/4" Gypsy - Punk Skunk, Flamin' Finney, Flamin' Hans, Paddy Wagon: 4" Coyote - green/chrome, blue/chrome, green/glow, Cop Car) have taken the majority of fish in all areas, but hootchies (especially the Purple Haze) have also been very good. Herring strip, Anchovies, and 4" Tomic Plugs have continued to hit fish in Howe Sound, but don't seem to be very productive in Vancouver Harbour. Trolling bottom at the Capilano and in Howe Sound is still your best technique in these areas, but in the QB and Bell Buoy areas lines set about 10 to 30 feet off the bottom seem to be just as productive (at times more productive) as those on the bottom. Try 90 to 110 feet at the QB, and 90m to 140 feet at the Bell Buoy.

For those wanting to try a bit of Halibut fishing on your trip, be sure to let me know in advance so I can make sure I am prepared. We would need calm conditions, and would likely troll slowly along bottom in 250 to 350 feet of water between Gower Pt. and Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast to give ourselves the best chances. A six hour charter may be the best idea for one of these trips, so we have time to do a few hours of salmon fishing in the usual spots as well. There was another small Halibut (approx 4 lbs) taken from Tunstall Bay again in early February, so just going out into deeper water towards Whorlecomb Island and dropping the gear down could also work without making much in the way of special effort.

If you are interested in doing a charter for winter Chinook (arguably the best eating salmon of the year), my schedule is still very flexible and open at this time of year. I am working in Horseshoe Bay on weekdays (it seems their projects never end......), but I can take a days off for charters on very short notice. I will be working for Shimano out at the Abbotsford Tradex Show (March 3rd through 5th), and will be therefore be unavailable for charter between the 3rd and the 6th. Long term weather forecasts are still pretty iffy at this time of year, and it often turns out to be significantly better than forecast - even a forecast from late the night before. Feel free to give me a call as little as a day or two in advance if you are thinking of going out, and it is likely I will be able to accommodate you.

If someone is interested in "sharing" a charter with another person, I have had an inquiry from a fellow from Britian who will be staying in North Vancouver for about a month beginning around March 10. He seems to be a very avid salmon angler in Britian (Freshwater), and is really looking forward to experiencing British Columbia's fisheries. He doesn't have any local contacts who would join him for a fishing charter, but he'd like to get out and try saltwater salmon fishing once or twice while he is here. If it is something that would interest you, let me know and I'll see if we can work out a mutually agreeable date(s).

I am also experimenting with an idea I have for a manual/mechanical prawn puller at this time, so putting out prawn traps is also something I will endeavor to do more frequently this year (in the next couple months before the commercial season starts) as I hope to eliminate most of the hard work it requires of me to pull my traps by hand.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com

Back