Noise below deck

Went out yesterday with a buddy to go fishing and get his take on this noise. The only issue was that it was so calm in the morning run out that there was no waves therefore no noise. On the run back in we heard it a few times. I have recorded it. To me it sounds like my gas tank at the front is lose therefore bouncing a bit. But maybe I am being paranoid. Other suggestion I got from a friend was maybe the spray foam has de-laminated from the hull somewhere and that is bouncing.

Hopefully the wind dies down in the next couple days to investigate/fish so more.

I have the videos on my phone but don’t know how I would upload them to this forum.

I have finally had the time to create a YouTube channel and upload the video of the sound coming from underneath the floor on the passenger side. My buddy suggested that the spray foam had de-laminated from the hull and is hitting the hull or floor.
Hopefully this works and I welcome your opinions/suggestions

Thanks in advance

Well that’s annoying!
Don’t think loose foam would make that noise. My old 215 explorer the transom inspection doors would rattle a bit in the rough stuff. Also before I rebuilt it the cross members under the deck that sit across the stringers were slapping around and as the bare wood wore down the gap increased and the slapping became louder over time. Could even be some wiring or cables not secure bouncing around in the gunwales or under the floor.

Have you tried rocking the boat on the trailer to see if you can get it to rattle without engine noise? If it does it would help you pinpoint what part of the boat it is coming from. I would even try hitting the bottom of the hull with a rubber mallet...simulating wave strikes...again without the engine...have someone inside the boat listening.

does anyone know how the gas tank is fastened down? if it was banded, it could be the band has broken, rusted apart or come loose and is rattling on the underside of the floor.

does anyone know how the gas tank is fastened down? if it was banded, it could be the band has broken, rusted apart or come loose and is rattling on the underside of the floor.
That is what I wonder as well, it was my first thought. I haven’t had luck searching for that answer. Maybe campion will know if I phone/contact them.

Have you tried rocking the boat on the trailer to see if you can get it to rattle without engine noise? If it does it would help you pinpoint what part of the boat it is coming from. I would even try hitting the bottom of the hull with a rubber mallet...simulating wave strikes...again without the engine...have someone inside the boat listening.
I will give that I try tomorrow after work. I gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet a bit ago but I didn’t have anyone with me to listen inside the boat.

The old 215 tank was banded to holes in top of stringers and screwed into keelson fore/aft. It wiggles around enough to pop the welds on the tabs used to screw down to the keelson, it was leaking fuel but wasn’t rattling around making that kind of racket.

Back