No good deed goes unpunished

not a tale idid that a lot in early80s in pedderbay use driftwood for float more natural don't use salmon seals and otter will tear off doors sharp triple hooks yes it slows down the rats got back one trap in rental boat snagged to southasian pantleg quite a fussdont lay traps over commerciallinesthey won't untangle sporty gear when they pull up theirs

Maybe a dye pack, like the banks use during a bank robbery.
Rig it so when the door opens the red dye sprays everywhere. Caught red handed

What a timely post...my wife and I just started crabbing. Day 1 I put out two brand new traps across from Driftwood Restaurant near Campbell River and when I went out to pick them up one was gone...I was so disappointed. I can't even begin to figure out what people think when they do that stuff. I love the driftwood idea, I have a great fish finder so I'll just start GPSing the spots...

I Do not approve of thieves either. The driftwood float might be one way to hide your traps, but it is also a hazard to navigation as it is not very visible in a chop. That might be OK if your trap was totally off the beaten path in a cove that wasn't a major travel path for boats. I think the only way to still have a legal float on your line, but not advertise a new $200 rig attached is to use really old looking discolored beat up looking floats. Nothing advertises a brand new set up more than a brand new set of sparkley clean floats attached to the line. The older and more beat up looking the floats are the less attention they get from thieves. At least that's my theory. Kind of like the old VW beetle parked next to the $150,000 Porsche. I think you know which ones getting stolen first. The only times I've had my traps stolen is when I've bought a complete new set up with brand new floats. Live and learn, find the most beat set of floats you can get to rig on your lines is my opinion. Sad but, why advertise a brand new rig. It seems about the only legal way of trying to deter thievery.

Ps. Your not doing anyone any favors if your using a hidden system in an area that people fish using downriggers. Your floating line can easily be caught by unknowing fishers who are down rigging near bottom. If that happens I'm pretty sure the guy that gets caught in your trap line because you had it hidden is certainly going to keep your unmarked trap. So I'm not sure that's a very good plan either.

Ps. Your not doing anyone any favors if your using a hidden system in an area that people fish using downriggers. Your floating line can easily be caught by unknowing fishers who are down rigging near bottom. If that happens I'm pretty sure the guy that gets caught in your trap line because you had it hidden is certainly going to keep your unmarked trap. So I'm not sure that's a very good plan either.
I certainly wouldn't be pleased if I hook into a pot while trolling. I've had this happen to me several times and it was usually in a place with a good bit of current. Invariably the pots have been set by someone who was uneducated in the proper weighting of a pot and the current blew their pot into deeper water. When I could, I'd return such pots. However, in a few cases, the effort required to bring the pot to the surface and disentangle it from my gear made returning the pot to the owner a step too far for me in my angered state. Also, most of the pots I have picked up like that (and it's happened about 5 times) had buoys that had been underwater so long that the owner's name was no longer legible. I'd bet those who set the pots are convinced the pots were stolen. I'd venture a guess that more than half of all "stolen" pots are under weighted and poorly set. The timed zinc devices above are interesting, but unless the buoy is all the way at the bottom, they create the same problem for trollers as a pot that has drifted into deeper water. As for booby trapping your pot line - suppose I accidentally troll into it (or my wife/friend didn't see it while at the helm), do you really want to intentionally harm me while I'm trying to safely return your pot to the bottom? Do you think you'd have a strong legal defense if you did? Just use a legal highly visible buoy, properly weight your pot, use enough weighted line so that the buoy won't go under at high tide and if you're concerned about theft, stay close enough to the pot to "defend" it. All the other suggestions have negative, unintended consequences that likely outweigh the benefits.

had buoys that had been underwater so long that the owner's name was no longer legible.
I've had this ruin a good day of fishing as well. I frequently see traps underwater in Victoria Harbour/Cadboro bay and also caught in kelp beds near Sooke. Not enough line, poorly marked traps are frequent problem and please don't do the driftwood thing with poly rope. It's amazing how many people have unmarked buoys and floating rope, I'm sorry but I hope someone has the time to remove those traps since they are navigation hazards. My traps have been raided too, but I stick to square cheap ones so they don't seem to run off. Just wish the guys who were raiding at left me a six pack. 1 beer = $1.50 1 crab =$30 but at least I am not coming home empty handed.

Back