no down riggers

F

farny

I just got a new boat and have not put down riggers on yet I have fished west van once power mooching cut plug,does anyone else fish the vancouver area without riggers with any success,

Welcome to the board.

Drift mooched couple fo nice nooks this weekend in about 400ft of water with 10oz sinker. We use the kicker in reverse to slow the drift when wind or current pushed us along to quickly to keep the line in the strike zone.

Once it gets busy you'll need downriggers or you'll be fishing where people aren't.

The Old Way still works but not as well, have a look around in the Classifieds of different web sites you'll see lots for sale.

thanks for the response ive fished alot in the charllottes never used them,and fished with my dad for years he always used them ill get them soon but if i spend mech more money on this boat in the near future ,the wifes going to throw me out

I know all about overspending on boats, and the family pressures that creates! (ouch)

I don't fish around Vancouver, but I know the hotspots get crowded, so you'll probably want downriggers. Plus they will allow you to better target those springs, can still used "old" methods if you want, but nice to have the trolling option.

You don't need to break the bank, can find them for $20 each or less for older blue style scotty's -- these would be good enough for a start. Cheapskates on Dunbar and 19th sometimes has them.
Other options in Vancouver are
buysell.com
http://vancouver.craigslist.org
http://www.usedvancouver.com/

Or that mythical garage sale out there somewhere with the "old guy" getting rid of his gear...a rare find.

Happy hunting!

John

PS in victoria, there's a good used boating shop in sidney, Boater's Exchange. You can always find a bunch of cheap DRs at the Western Speedway swap meet on any sunny sunday am in Langford.

Can somebody please explain 1 or 2 methods of fishing without downriggers? I have an inflatable and am new to the Campbell River area, I can't mount downriggers on my boat. Have used jigs successfully in the past but that was on the west coast of the Island in shallower waters with way less current usually. Doesn't look like jigs will work well around here with the strong tidal currents. Thanks

Converted to electrics this spring. I have a couple of manual scottys is your interested

Back