G

geof filtness

i want to start fishing!....again.

i used to fish (salmon) when i was a kid, but haven't for decades.
now i want to get back into it, but i prefer to wander along creeks,streams and rivers rather than all the prep and expense that goes into ocean fishing.

i'm looking 'beginners' help, so i can avoid all the crap that usually discourages newbies.
(i'm not going to make this my passion...so, i'll confess that i'm only interested spin-casting, with moderately priced equipment in freshwater.)

where do i start? "equipment."

right! OK,..i'm buying a Daiwa compact rig ($120), so i can ramble through the bush if needed. it had to be small, because i'm usually packing camera gear as well.

then what?
lures?...techniques?..locations?

thanx for any help.
geof

Edited by - geof filtness on 03/08/2005 19:27:56

I would recomend blue fox spinners and colorado spinners, you could make your own colorado spinners and save yourself some money if you wish too. I would also recomend fishing a system that gets a good run of salmon to practice your tecnique. also a good tecnique is using a float and yarn and a hook " obviously" with about a 2 n half 3 foot leader, fishing in a faster section of the river...."papermill damn" for locals. well thats about all i can give you, dont really no where your located....well im out

...........steelheadman

quote:
I would recomend blue fox spinners and colorado spinners, you could make your own colorado spinners and save yourself some money if you wish too. I would also recomend fishing a system that gets a good run of salmon to practice your tecnique. also a good tecnique is using a float and yarn and a hook " obviously" with about a 2 n half 3 foot leader, fishing in a faster section of the river...."papermill damn" for locals. well thats about all i can give you, dont really no where your located....well im out

...........steelheadman

(i'm in the Lower Mainland, BC)
i did get a couple of Blue Fox spinners...but all the stuff about technique's just went right over my head.
remember,..the last time i went fishing i wasn't able to drive yet!

thanx, all the same.

geof

In August head for Chilliwack/Mission. Sockeye, Island 22 etc. Go to a fishing shop in Chilliwack, they are helpful. The rest is up to you regards to research. You will catch fish there.

B Gibb

In the Lower Rainland just follow the crowd!!!!!

livin' la vida pesca!

HA!...if it's that crowded out there, i'm really gonna stand out as rookie!
(oh, great!..flashbacks of Grade 6..when you're the last one picked for the "crappy" team.)
i still have to learn how to tie a knot, fer crissakes....(& i assume the one you use for tying your shoes isn't going to be a good one...)
but since this is March, and i want to go out this weekend...maybe the Chilliwack/Mission area won't be crowded, and maybe i'll be able to head home with my dignity intact.

i think it's time for the next step..."Trial & Error".

thanx for the tips,
geof

If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.
(Dean Martin)

Back