Newbie questions about weather?

Cowpasta

I have been living on the island for 8 years now and generally get a charter every year and load up the freezer with fish. I saw that pedder bay rents boats and I would love to give it a try for myself! Having talked to the people at pedder bay it sounds like they will direct you right direction to hopefully find some fish.
Now for my question about the weather. What do I want to be looking for in the weather reports? Monday the reports on big wave Dave are saying WNW at 15knts until 4pm? What does this mean, in those small boats from pedder bay am I going to be have a rough experience? Any tips would be great, thanks!

If you fish in the bay, you are protected against this wind.
If venturing outside you need to look at the tides.
on a flood , it will likely be fine.
On an ebb, the tide will buck into the wind causing the water to stand up.

you need to examine the tide/current as well as wind direction.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Gungadin... I already have the boating bug, just not the pocket book to support it yet! First time out we caught 1 pink, couple greenlings, couple rock fish, and couple red rock crabs. So all and all it wasn't a bad day out on the water for running my own boat! Second time we got 2 springs, 2 cabazones, couple rock fish, greenlings, and a Dungeness. So hopefully the next time out we will catch a coupe more!

Back