Newbie question: pink or spring

Bgillard....u might "want to ask the group", yourself...as that picture is clearly a small hatchery chinook..and NOT a pink..following your advice, "if u dont know ...let it go.."..u d better release everything u catch.....

Bgillard....u might "want to ask the group", yourself...as that picture is clearly a small hatchery chinook..and NOT a pink..following your advice, "if u dont know ...let it go.."..u d better release everything u catch.....

Hi salmonboy, I think you are getting BGillard's post references wrong. The pink he is referring to is the FIRST posted pic by alctel. That is a pink. It has large spots on the tail. The second pic posted by alctel is a chinook, but bgillard is not talking about that picture.

With that tail - spots on the bottom - it's DEFINITELY a chinook and NOT a coho!

Of course it is a Chinook, that is obvious. I was pointing out that it was most likely a Hatchery Chinook, but would not say for certain it was a hatchery given the angle of the photo.

As for the comment by another concerning Gillard’s alleged misidentification of salmon species, I agree with Daveroo; Bgillard’s job is to identify salmon species and you can bet he knows his stuff. If one thinks about it a little one would conclude that he was referring to the first picture which was the subject of the thread posted by Alctel, --- which is a pink and he was in fact correct.

Of course it is a Chinook, that is obvious. I was pointing out that it was most likely a Hatchery Chinook, but would not say for certain it was a hatchery given the angle of the photo.

As for the comment by another concerning Gillard’s alleged misidentification of salmon species, I agree with Daveroo; Bgillard’s job is to identify salmon species and you can bet he knows his stuff. If one thinks about it a little one would conclude that he was referring to the first picture which was the subject of the thread posted by Alctel, --- which is a pink and he was in fact correct.
Sorry - I was tired when I read your post. I agree the first pic is definitely a pink and clearly the fisheries person knows his stuff. That said, at least one of the enforcement guys down my way in WA can't identify salmon species with any accuracy.

The next step is to learn to identify with some accuracy what they are in the water and base it on how they fight, size and what it realistically could be based on the time of the year. That takes more time as you have to play quite a few fish to get to that level but you can get to 95% accuracy in time. I often know what they are when they hit or as they approach the boat. I can often tell what hit the gear and didn't stick just by how the double trembles come back. Two trebles all wrapped up in a knot...Coho...hard hit and release off rigger and the teaser head comes back slammed either up or down and bait bent at right angle just behind the head...big spring. Bait cut in half in a perfect semi circle cut...dogfish.

You should apply for a job at DFO salmonboy. Bryce comes on here to help move things forward and you misinterpret his post and then question his fish identification skills. We need to appreciate the DFO input, not question it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry all.. i didnt read 3 pages back..and now realize that bgillard was infact correct..just posted his reply a little late..bgillard accept my apology. ..and biggreenmachine....first time ever uve been right about something!....im j/k, thanks for correcting me......regardzz jes

Back