New wind and wave app

The plan is to bundle it into a mobile app once I have all areas, closures etc mapped out. Hoping fairly soon!
OSM has some data for coastlines:

Not sure how useful it is for your application, but it might be helpful. I wonder if theres a brute force way to achieve coastline coords, by checking the RGB value of the Google maps tile and then querying the lat/long coords. I’m sure that many API calls probably violates the ToS.

OSM has some data for coastlines:

Not sure how useful it is for your application, but it might be helpful. I wonder if theres a brute force way to achieve coastline coords, by checking the RGB value of the Google maps tile and then querying the lat/long coords. I’m sure that many API calls probably violates the ToS.
Considering that the meets and bounds start and end at the nominal high water mark (correct me if I am wrong), It is just a matter of filling that section in with a decent shoreline. I believe DFO uses the CANVEC base data which is federal and free to download and use. There are other data sources available but it is a mute point if you can't import and use a spatial data file such as an ESRI shapefile or DWG/DXF etc.

Okay all fishing areas have been added - clicking on the area will display a popup with a link to the DFO regs. I am hoping to complete the rest of the RCAs and sponge closures shortly.

I've added the ability to create an account and setup specific user settings (which layers should display by default, units .. knots/mph etc).

I also have a spot for fishing reports.. so far just pacific angler but eventually feed in all/any relevant reports people like.

Hoping to have tide data released soon!

Thanks @Irishwolf for the help!

I just released some pretty cool updates, you can now click the sub area on the map and get a searchable set of regulations for the area. You can also click on the "Search Map" button near the upper left corner and search for a species type or name and status to see which sub areas meet your search criteria. I will be making some enhancements soon where you can perform a more detailed search (include min or max size of species if open etc).

It is a little glitchy at the moment.. so bear with me. And works best on desktop/laptop but I’ll have the mobile version cleaned up this evening.

Searchable regs

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 7.00.32 AM.png

Showing all areas Lingcod are currently closed

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 7.19.05 AM.png

@Claymaker appreciate the feedback, I will look to add race rocks this weekend.

Last edited:
Would adding the major buoys be of help to anyone? T10, QA as examples.

The fishing regs pop-up option by clicking on an area is beautiful, hi five to you. Super easy to decipher.

Last edited:
Day off so I am playing with the app, and yes I have some thoughts. (sorry!)
You are adding improvements a few times a day, thank you, and naming the Fishing Hotspots looks good.
Any chance of a toggle for the ferry routes?
Can the Wind, Wave, and Wave Buoy icons be the first choices in that drop down? Others may not agree, but if there is a consensus, perhaps?

Day off so I am playing with the app, and yes I have some thoughts. (sorry!)
You are adding improvements a few times a day, thank you, and naming the Fishing Hotspots looks good.
Any chance of a toggle for the ferry routes?
Can the Wind, Wave, and Wave Buoy icons be the first choices in that drop down? Others may not agree, but if there is a consensus, perhaps?
Appreciate ALL the feedback :)

You want to toggle the ferry routes off I’m assuming? It’s a google thing but I can check if it’s configurable.. or removable.

I am experiencing a minor bug with it (should have resolved this weekend) but have you seen the user settings in the left bar? You can select which layers you want to show on default. But I can definitely look at rearranging as you likely want to constantly toggle things on and off?

Appreciate ALL the feedback :)

You want to toggle the ferry routes off I’m assuming? It’s a google thing but I can check if it’s configurable.. or removable.

I am experiencing a minor bug with it (should have resolved this weekend) but have you seen the user settings in the left bar? You can select which layers you want to show on default. But I can definitely look at rearranging as you likely want to constantly toggle things on and off?
Edit***
The left bar default choices are perfect. Thanks again.

I will have a look first and see if I could set it up to my own intuitive usage. So please don’t do anything until I check to see what you’ve already got there that I’ve obviously missed. Thanks.

Are you getting private messages with other suggestions that you might implement down the road? Right now I think it’s doing just about everything. The simplicity of it is also a strong point, because we all know how many complain about the DFO site and even the Fishing BC app being convoluted and congested.

Last edited:
Oh there's an app now? Just iPhone or is there an Android version too? Can't find anything in the store anyway...

Would it be possible to have a toggle for which areas you want to have data displayed for? I'm not sure if my phone's just getting old, but with such a data heavy map.. mines decently slow to scroll and populate data

Would it be possible to have a toggle for which areas you want to have data displayed for? I'm not sure if my phone's just getting old, but with such a data heavy map.. mines decently slow to scroll and populate data
Are you using two fingers to scroll?

Back