New wind and wave app

Hi all,

I just put together a website ( straitweather.com ) which displays the current weather conditions at some government buoys and wind stations. I plan to add several additional features such as:

- tides
- self reporting for current conditions
- weather and wave forecast tool
- maybe even a fishing journal which you can share publicly showing your catch depths, lures etc

For the meantime it displays the latest (on the hour) weather update. If the buoy is working and displaying wave height I will use that, for areas without buoy data I run the wind speed, direction etc through my own machine learning algorithm which predicts the wave height. This is shown by the colouring on the map.

While viewing on your computer or ipad you will see a graph of the past 6 hours after clicking on one of the icons. If on mobile only the small infowindow will show.

You can also review the table in the top left corner and select a station or buoy to see the popup window with more details. This table can also be minimized using the small " - " button above it.

Looking for suggestions as I'd love to continue to add new features and will likely turn it into a mobile app for Iphone and android.

Hope you find it helpful!

straitweather.com
Can the stations be sorted by distance instead of alphabetically?

Curious about the wind data for entrance island. On the app it's showing 15mph E, on the wind finder app that says it uses the data from the weather station, it says 20 ESE

@MikePA 15mph E is correct. The site is notoriously challenging to scrape so I am guessing it grabbed another stations data. Ballenas was 21 and ESE so potentially that..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 9.11.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 9.11.17 PM.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
This is a fantastic app, well done so far! Looking forward to seeing where you take it next based on all of the feedback.

One thing I use on JDF is the pressure gradient info. It's the most valuable on that website. I am not sure if the same applies Georgia straight.

Can you pull the wind prediction models that big wave Dave has?
@kaelc looks very doable. Maybe I am wrong but there is a much simpler correlation between wind direction and wave height vs the SOG.

I will take a look as I plan to get JDF and howe sound done soon. I prefer being able to train my model off of real wave height data (like the strait, english bay etc) so i can ensure accuracy, but I can't find any consistent source for real wave height to bounce off the weather history.

Thanks!

@Murry I just added most of the Victoria area stations and will be working my way around the island and pulling from as many sources as possible.
Great!! looking forward to it. We fish out of Tahsis/Esperanza. We need a good weather app!

Cool site, I've just gotten back into web app building after 10 years of doing other things. Lots changed.

What did you go with for your backend framework?

Back