New trailer for dummies

k_im

Gentlemen,

I'm in the process of buying a GW 274 out of So Cal. I asked the broker for the VIN of the trailer and it turns out the darned thing was built in Mexico (huge can of worms that I have no desire to deal with)

As a result, I'm looking at new units and am looking for advice and or opinions regarding:

Aluminum vs galvanized

Electric vs electric over hydraulic brakes

Custom vs "off the shelf"

Thanks

Kim

I have a lot of info on boat trailers from experience but I'm not familiar with the gw274 you refer to. Dual or triple axle? size of the fully loaded boat(don't underestimate) -this info saves everyone a lot of time.

Thanks for the reply,Spring fever, the boat is a 2000 grady white 274 sailfish (the one with the kad44 volvo diesel). With a full load of fuel and water plus 10% it weighs 9200 lb.

Trailer options so far:
Off the shelf "Load Rite" with electric over hydraulic brakes
aluminum with triple axle 10400 lb payload
Galvanized triple axle 11500lb payload

Custom-"Loadmaster" with electric brakes
Galvanized, dual axle 10855lb payload (these specs are their response to my giving them the weight and dimensions of the boat)

I can't give you any advice as to trailer make, but whatever, you purchase make sure that it complies with BC regulations. One thing that I know for sure is the trailer will be required to have brakes on every axle. Unless the trailer is new, you may want to purchase new tires for the trailer, because no matter the condition of the tires, Canadian Tire will ding you $5.00 per tire enviro fee.

I have been hauling heavy boat trailers over long distances for the last 20 years and I have learned that upgrading a poorly bought trailer is extremely expensive!!! Believe it or not if you haul 6000km a year maintenance and upgrades on the trailer can cost you more than the upkeep of a big boat. What are you doing with the trailer-is it just putting the boat in the local marina in the spring and out in the fall? If so go with the cheapest trailer that has a high enough placarded weight to be legal. If you are like me and haul frequently over long distances to where the fish are this is what you should put on your trailer.
You have a very heavy boat and I wouldn't consider any trailer with a placard weight of less than 10'500 lbs. You are on the very top end of a dual axle trailer- it's cheaper to maintain, and buy and at that weight make sure that the tires they sell you are at least 2540 lbs rated per tire or better on each wheel. I personally favour galvinized for strength and durability particularly with dual axle. If I was offered a triple axle I beam aluminum with A high placard number and everything else I wanted I would consider it. Getting down to what you should specify for your boat whether you go dual or triple axle.
Stainless steel sleeves (speedi-sleeves) on all wheels, Electo hydraulic disc brakes (drum are ok but a poor second choice) on every wheel( under no circumstances take a trailer with straight electric brakes-very expensive retro fit and they won't last a year. I should mention if this trailer is from the states-NO Surge brakes. Side rails, Get UHMW on the bunks( no carpet) It's a slippery plastic cover-really helps load a heavy boat. Your boat should have at least partial bunks-the Grady is a very strong hull and like my Orca could take a small section up front of rollers-really helps loading. Should have at least a 2 speed manual winch with at least a 6000 lb strap(usually yellow-black is 3000 so watch that). I have had electric winches and got rid of them. Nice when they work-but there is no help in Winter harbour if they don't work!! I would talk to a local manufacturer and specify what I wanted-If I could get all of the above stuff I mentioned, dual with a placard weight of 10500 in galvanized up here I would do it. Try Mike at Road Runner and see if he can get a dual up to 10500 he has triples as well-he's a good guy to work with-I'm sure there are others-but saving 1500 bucks on a trailer that has to be retrofitted and is tough to maintain will turn out to be no savings at all very quickly. Trailers are pretty much the same from all reputable manufacturers-it's what you specify putting on them that makes them good or great!! If you need any more info-pm me.

Stainless steel sleeves (speedi-sleeves) on all wheels, Electo hydraulic disc brakes (drum are ok but a poor second choice) on every wheel( under no circumstances take a trailer with straight electric brakes-very expensive retro fit and they won't last a year.

I purchased my BW Conquest out of Idaho - hence it had only been used in fresh water. After purchasing it I put on stainless Kodiak Disc brakes, but after one short season two of the seals were leaking due to rust on the axle surface where the seals run. This year I installed SS speedi-sleeves before fishing season and just recently checked them and everything is ready to go for next season. In the saltwater environment "PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE" in my mind is a must.

Another very knowledgeable and trustworthy individual who deals with boat trailers is "Keith" from Highliner in Delta, B.C.

Back