New to the Ocean

This is a great thread. I am looking to buy anyone's copy of

Living with Weather along the B.C.Coast by Owen S. Lange​

Found a mint copy at Abe's books July 2021

Last edited:
That boat looks fine to me to deal with some sloppy weather. I see lots of guys at Milltown in smaller boats on bad days. Pick your days. Check the Windy and SailFlow Apps before you launch. Windfinder set on YVR also helps give very current data Of the area between the North and South Arms. I use Milltown as well. If I get to the mouth of the North Arm and it’s snotty I pull into Cowards Cove behind Wreck Beach and relax. I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to do this in the last 7 years. Sometimes the weather changes while you’re out there. That’s when you get to test your boating skills and boats limitations. Slow down and be confident. Nothing worse than a Captain showing he‘s nervous to his crew. Its really important to know your boat well. That means in good calm weather and bad weather. Boats are designed to take a reasonable amount of **** as long as you don’t don’t anything really stupid like overload it or decide to do 30 mph in a 40 mph wind storm. Get to know the handling in all seas. Trailing seas, abeam seas and head on. Know your motor trim settings and trim tab settings as well. It’s all just gained thru real life experience.

there are pubs at Horseshoe bay, Snug Cove and Gibsons. Good for a tour?

Hi,

This year we are looking to purchase a 30-32ft Sport Cruiser. Will that be sufficient for us to take 'off shore' to explore Gulf Islands / Straight of Georgia / Horshoe Bay/ Howe Sound?

Still feel very inexperienced with the boating world and would love to know your thoughts.

We currently own a 22ft Monterey FSC and have been taking it around lakes and up the Indian Arm. However we do not feel comfortable taking this boat to the island. We're pretty committed to upgrading to a sport cruiser soon.

Hi,

This year we are looking to purchase a 30-32ft Sport Cruiser. Will that be sufficient for us to take 'off shore' to explore Gulf Islands / Straight of Georgia / Horshoe Bay/ Howe Sound?

Still feel very inexperienced with the boating world and would love to know your thoughts.

We currently own a 22ft Monterey FSC and have been taking it around lakes and up the Indian Arm. However we do not feel comfortable taking this boat to the island. We're pretty committed to upgrading to a sport cruiser soon.
That’s a reasonable size boat. You’re probably north of 12,000 lbs of mass. I’m looking for a specific 30 foot boat that fully loaded is 12,500 lbs. That size boat can cross the Straight with ease most days. I’ve been boating/owned boats since 1977 and still feel inexperienced. Put in the hours and you’ll gain more confidence. Every time I pull into a dock somewhere I’m always on edge about hitting the dock right. It never goes away because conditions are so dynamic in the water. I’d really recommend with a boat that size get a bow thruster. Good luck.

There is a book called "The Wind Came All Ways" by a retired weather guy, Owen S. Lange.
and another called Living with Weather along the B.C.Coast, again by him.
You should read them. hard to find perhaps as they were published by Environment Canada publications.
He has a style that makes it interesting, which helps you understand SOG winds, Howe Sound winds, etc.

I managed to find both books through Abe's Books

I also bought a book on the inside passage written by an ex Coast Guard Officer and Coastal pilot that described the route to Alaska in great detail

not mine....by sport cruiser, do you mean something fast and comfy?
Something like Searay 30ft, or 32ft express cruiser, Chaparral Signature 30, Cruiser yacht 3275.

apologies if my naming convention is off. are those pocket cruisers? and what are your thoughts on these boats coasting around BC... straight of georgia, to the island, howesound.. ect. would that be considered off shore? or is that still inshore?

Hi, the run-about boat has been sold! I am now in the process of purchasing a cruiser. It is being hauled out for inspection and surveying this week. Fingers crossed everything checks out.

This season I'd like to boat to Horseshoe Bay, Howe Sound, Bowen Island. Do I need to call ahead to reserve moorage if I just want to visit for a couple of hours? Are there public marinas that allow free docking?

I don't mind paying. Can someone advise what is customary. Just want to ensure I'm following proper etiquette..

Horseshoe bay has a government dock and so does Snug Cove on Bowen, first come first serve, last time I was there no charge
Mike

Back