New to fishing in the Vancouver area

Geoduck

So I'm new to the saltwater scene in the Vancouver area. Grew up in Port Alberni and fished the island as a kid but haven't been out in say 25 years. Now have a couple of kids and want to get them out on the ocean to do some salmon fishing. Bought myself a 16' Canventure and been reading the forums and gathering some fishing gear. I live in White Rock but seems like all the fishing right now is happening around West Van. I know Steveston area can be good at times, but just wondering when is good where and trying to keep it as close to home as possible so we can get out any chance we get. Any advice anyone is willing to give would really be appreciated! Thanks!

Just read through all the archived fishing reports for the vancouver howe sound area. You will learn everything you need to know.

The same patterns exist every year pretty much of where and when to fish. People will fish west van now all the way till september. North Arm, Sandheads heats up end of July to end of September.

Last edited:
Follow the Vancouver Reports thread.

You also want to follow the local guides fishing reports...some are better than others. Some tel you where they were and some tell you the gear they are using. Just fish a basic teaser head with a basic Flasher.

If you're fishing now to the end of the year...you will need to know how to fish Anchovies, white Hoochies, and perhaps a small spoon. Very simple gear now.

May as well get busy Snelling hooks and leaders now.

Once the Fraser mouth Fishery starts...the most successful anglers fish nothing else.

For West Van Cohos 25-65 on the downriggers from Point Atkinson to Lions Gate...for the next month is most popular.

For July 15-September 30 off the Fraser 30-85 feet is all you will need.

Have fun and watch the weather forecast

Back