New signs on the Cowichan

Derby

Crew Member
" Recently discussion at the December Fresh water Fisheries Regulation Advisory Committee ( FFRAC) took place on the topic of increased numbers of drift boats fishing the Cowichan River…up to 30 or more boats in one day during peak fishing times. The discussion centred around the possible destruction of spawning redds and the amount of future fish killed in the process. Everyone believed that education was the key, particularly to those new to the drift fishing experience, and it was planned to establish signs at the main launch/pick up sites to create awareness and hopefully discussion amongst the drift boat community. A group of organizations: BC Federation of Fly Fishers, BC Drift Fishers, Steelhead Society of BC and the Region 1 Vancouver Island BCWF agreed to design and pay for the signage. As of today we have two signs posted, one at Stoltz Campground launch area, and the Sandy Pools launch/pick up site. Some conversation on the river so far has been quite positive."

Attachments

• drift boat sign at Sandy Pools site.jpg
    drift boat sign at Sandy Pools site.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 672
  • drift boat sign at Stoltz launch site.jpg
    drift boat sign at Stoltz launch site.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 726
You would think that steelheaders that are serious enough about fishing to go buy a drift boat would be educated enough on fish habitat to figure this out... even though I know that's not the case for some unknown reason. Its great these signs are going up because I see people dragging anchors on redds all the time.

" Recently discussion at the December Fresh water Fisheries Regulation Advisory Committee ( FFRAC) took place on the topic of increased numbers of drift boats fishing the Cowichan River…up to 30 or more boats in one day during peak fishing times. The discussion centred around the possible destruction of spawning redds and the amount of future fish killed in the process. Everyone believed that education was the key, particularly to those new to the drift fishing experience, and it was planned to establish signs at the main launch/pick up sites to create awareness and hopefully discussion amongst the drift boat community. A group of organizations: BC Federation of Fly Fishers, BC Drift Fishers, Steelhead Society of BC and the Region 1 Vancouver Island BCWF agreed to design and pay for the signage. As of today we have two signs posted, one at Stoltz Campground launch area, and the Sandy Pools launch/pick up site. Some conversation on the river so far has been quite positive."
What do the signs say? What are the issues? I used to drift the Cowie back in the 90s.

This is a very good idea,Derby. For many it would be a no brainer,but like you said,the newbees may need the
education. Promotes good habits and boat etiquette.

Watched a driftboat on saturday just below sandy pool try and set their anchor, almost dragged the whole run.and it would not hold.

Got this pic on the river today..:)
Interesting. Never heard this mentioned back in my drift boating days. Think its a good thing to make people aware of. Not sure how much good its going to do. Sounds like the # of drift boats has really increased over the yrs...

Interesting. Never heard this mentioned back in my drift boating days. Think its a good thing to make people aware of. Not sure how much good its going to do. Sounds like the # of drift boats has really increased over the yrs...

It's always good to remind the guy's that pull on the sticks ...lot's of redds on the river this year

I have fished the Cowie since the late 70's. I can't speak for the section above Skutz but I have NEVER seen 20 boats on the river on a single day let alone 30. During its hayday the stamp sometimes had 20 or so various floating craft.

Victoria paddling club? :rolleyes:

Seeing lots of people on the water is a good thing. Yes it sucks when you want a spot to yourself, but we are talking about the Cowichan not some top secret river. Get out and enjoy it! The more people interested in steelheading the better for future enhancement projects etc.

Well said Hambone... Yup Victoria paddling club on Sunday.. 15 canoes and yaks.. Been drifting for 20 yrs and never seen 30 boats let alone 15 in one day.. Somebody needs to get there numbers straight.. Sounds like the same bogus numbers with the creel survey that got the steelhead hatchery program shut down.. We are all for education which is a good thing..

Seen 2 boats in the span of less than an hour cruising through yesterday afternoon on the lower section. Beleive me,when nice out and the flow is in good shape,the boats come. I can easily see 20-30 in an 8 hr. day,without an
exageration.

Don't think I ever seen 30 boats from over 20 years of fishing and drifting the Cowie in a single day. The number might be a bit exaggerated. Jan and February is generally busy but thins out quickly after.

You can always tell how many boats are drifting looking at the parking lots and plus a selected few with their own launching place.

It's common to see a bunch of boats all at once then not another one for the rest of the day since most launched about the same time.

Not very happy with the elimination of hatchery. The fishery in March was better when we used to have the hatchery. I really noticed a big difference when March and April come. There are just lot less fish during the later month. Wish they try an alternate location to raise the hatchery before turfing it :(

HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much same thoughts on this one as hyde n seek. 24 years on that river and granted its gotten much busier with boat traffic but 30 in a given day is a stretch. Usually each driftable section will see five to eight boats on a busy day. Not sure if anything but awareness will come from the signs. Anchoring is going to happen. Mind you I like to anchor out in front on the bigger cobble and rocks apposed to where I want to run my gear. If your anchored on top of them then Your success is going to suffer lol.

I saw 36 drift boats float by me last week. Its really getting out of hand on the cowichan, 25 jets and 32 drifboats on the stamp too. Ban all boats, there should be gates at all the main spots on the rivers with guardians like the honey bee. He did a great job doing the creel survey and shutting down hatchery production, who needs more fish? I'd rather go to the cowichan, have picnic and just enjoy the sound of the flow…...

Back