New signs on the Cowichan

I saw 36 drift boats float by me last week. Its really getting out of hand on the cowichan, 25 jets and 32 drifboats on the stamp too. Ban all boats, there should be gates at all the main spots on the rivers with guardians like the honey bee. He did a great job doing the creel survey and shutting down hatchery production, who needs more fish? I'd rather go to the cowichan, have picnic and just enjoy the sound of the flow…...

Lets see, 36 divided by 7 days in the week equals a bit more than 4 boats per day. Seems about right.
Hooton shut down the hatchery.
The Cowie is a great place for a hike and a picnic.

Back when the 80's when Cowichan SH numbers peaked, it was pretty normal to have 12 boats leap frogging the Stoltz to Heritage drift on weekends. We often talked about damage done by boats working there way through runs using there anchors. Lead smears were often evident on rocks once the water levels dropped in the Spring. I've got to think jet boats powering back and forth over lies can't be a good thing either. There's no sanctuary for the fish.

A lot will argue against any such regulation preventing such activities unless it can be proven absolutely. By then it may be to late. Stamp/Somass? I don't know how many boats hit the Cowichan during the week. I don't have the privilege to fish then, but now as the "Grey wave", is retiring I suspect angler effort on week days is higher. I can't imagine 30 boats on the Cowichan.

I might add that one could easily argue that the above has little impact on steelhead returns compared to major issues that happen at sea. I totally agree. We have little control on what happens out in the ocean, however we certainly can control a few of the little issues, and we should.

Back