New sewage outfall off Possession Pt - Sooke

Excellent that people are sending in there comments of on this. Please keep it coming if you haven't commented yet.

I've heard that South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition (SVIAC) http://anglerscoalition.com/ is planning to send in a formal letter of disapproval on this to the Prov. Govt.

I would encourage any other groups, associations or societies that are concerned about this to do the same before June 7. We can't let this proposal to go through.

I wish you guys the best of luck I put my comments in. I am sympathetic as we up in here in shawnigan an areas of cowichan valley have government hearings going on right now to stop dumping of toxic soil in our watershed. I know many of you know what is going on here with government awarding a company access to dump construction and toxic waste on a pool liner in an open pit threatening everyone's drinking water supply.

Truckloads and truckload of soil remediation from construction and gas sites continue to come up here from greater Victoria and the mainland and dumped at headwaters of our lake. Those aquifers sooke lake and shawnigan creek are right next to tailing ponds. It is tons and tons of soil. It a big problem. And we may not be able to stop it.

It will leach into Greater Vic drinking water and shawnigan sooner or later. But we have unsuccessfully been able to get greater victoria residents to really care at all. Right now its in hearing and it is really who has the best lawyer.

This is a bad decision. But because Sooke just like shawnigan and other small communities....If you don't have the population its hard to get the support. If the plan is up someone made the decision it just what I have learned from our issue. No answers for you guys but I would get politicians involved if you can....

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocked and saddened. Sent my rant last night. I agree, keep the comments coming, we need all the negative responses we can get! Xena

Filled out...sent! :mad:

DFO should be aware of this sewage outfall stuff.....don`t they? They are the ones that should reject the project to save the fish and marine species. if they don`t, then it s the problem. :(

Submitted my thoughts on the application. Hope they consider the words offered by concerned citizens.

hit the Sooke streets,,,information leaflets in hand...time to involve local residents;perhaps Chek6,CFAX will get the news out...

I sent in my comments to this ridiculous application. Vessels cannot discharge sewage within 2 miles of shore so how can they allow a pipe there?

bump...don't dump!

Letter sent via comment facility. Totally ludicrous the siting of this outfall. Possession Point is specifically mentioned on the Super Natural BC web site and Tourism Victoria site among others. I cannot understand how this could ever get approved, but I guess no one in an official capacity thought of this when they granted the original development application.
And yet the one follows the other as surely as night follows day, and so the slow, incremental, insidious step-by-step compromise of the ecosystem continues....

(On Wed and Thur last week there was a huge amount of blasting and I saw rock, debris and dust falling into the water below the cliffs.......if I were a fish there I would have made myself scarce. Maybe Possession Point as fishing spot is ruined already? Sad....very sad......)

I would ask the sooke first nations what there position on this is. They have a lot of pull and they have to be consulted first before that went in.

Went out to Sheringham yesterday for a little hike. Its sad how these points are now just going to become richmans property. People that have the most cash gets to do what they want at these places. If you think its bad at possession wait until you see what happens when the new development at sheringham gets going.... Its ready water and power is hooked in The only thing that is protected is the property where the lighthouse sits.

Kind of sad a little bit of let down for Shirley residents they should have protected it as a park. I was floored by all the locked gates and the size of the development. They even built over the walking trails that used to be there.

Pretty bad when you think about it. One of few places in Canada that does that kind of stuff and I happen to live here. Kind of ashamed for that alone.

I'm probably going to get crapped all over here (pun intended) but I'm not so sure this is not a net gain. By what I have seen, the water coming out the end of that pipe is cleaner than the sea water it goes into. Look what happened with the Sooke Harbour after the EPCOR system went in. The eel grass is back, the crab is crazy back, and my kids can actually go in the water. This is going ahead anyhow, so I'll be meeting with Michael Thornton tomorrow with an amenity ask for the fishing community.

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/opinion/letters/262592701.html

Back