New Reg: North Shore Residents Only at Cap Mouth

I can't answer that one I suppose some posturing but just the fact that they make noise is concern if you enjoy this fishery.

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

With all due , respect Big Hog

I have been hearing about the closing of sports fishing at the mouth for YEARS, or the moving of the boundary West perhaps , why have they not done it yet, if such a problem ,???

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Fog Ducker ....that logic from you surprises me --if it aint happened yet...it won't --- What ?
The reason things are the way they are now ( still open) is partly due to BCSFGA negotiations with Port Authority. As long as you are in communication in this sort of situation and the problem isn't critical you can ward it off. If it gets much worse however I can tell you ...as FM comments....it WILL get closed further west from the light. Why challenge Ports to close it by pushing the envelope ?....just because they haven't done it yet ???
The other thing is if some idiot gets Quoked by my Pilot friend ( who I have discussed this with ) as he plows through the narrows in a tanker or cruise ship, you can rest assured nobody will be fishing Cap anymore.

Not sure what posts ur reading...it's been discussed for years PH , allotta smoke , it alway's seems like...

I think this one day is gonna change , not shut down , but move the " NO Fish Area " further west , GUARANTEED!! probabally after some real bad accident ,unfortunately..

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

I have been hearing about the closing of sports fishing at the mouth for YEARS, or the moving of the boundary West perhaps , why have they not done it yet, if such a problem ,???

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Fog Ducker ....that logic from you surprises me --if it aint happened yet...it won't --- What ?
The reason things are the way they are now ( still open) is partly due to BCSFGA negotiations with Port Authority. As long as you are in communication in this sort of situation and the problem isn't critical you can ward it off. If it gets much worse however I can tell you ...as FM comments....it WILL get closed further west from the light. Why challenge Ports to close it by pushing the envelope ?....just because they haven't done it yet ???
The other thing is if some idiot gets Quoked by my Pilot friend ( who I have discussed this with ) as he plows through the narrows in a tanker or cruise ship, you can rest assured nobody will be fishing Cap anymore.

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

As BigHog Stated after my question to him ,

I have been hearing about the closing of sports fishing at the mouth for YEARS, or the moving of the boundary West perhaps , why have they not done it yet, if such a problem ,??? ...FD

I can't answer that one I suppose some posturing but just the fact that they make noise is concern if you enjoy this fishery.

chasing our tails now ,i think i made my point ,just sometimes sound like Essa Tikkanen doin it ..[:eek:)]..LOL,,,, i'm done here

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

PH

lol,,,Super Guides comments , i actually aggeed with this time,

I was questioning why you think they would close down the cap mouth ? and , where did ya here this from ? whether it was a " Fun Poke " or " Tongue n Cheek " you did say you are " Concerned"

Is the Cap busier today than in the 70's and 80's ?, Don't think so ! i remember boats throwing shyt at each other because of the kaos , in a perfect world , ya get the perfect pass or rotation of the fleet , until !! some one , or multiple hook-ups accur , usually guides , then they get swarmed by the envious warriors and create complete madness,, or , yeah, get some guy's anchor releasing ( back in the day ) ...breakdowns,,,yada yada yada , East bound they Go !!

was not shut down then , Why today ?? Do you know somthing most dont

I think this one day is gonna change , not shut down , but move the " NO Fish Area " further west , GUARANTEED!! probabally after some real bad accident ,unfortunately..

Until then , Live with it , or DON"T fish there , you will alway's have kaos there when the fishing picks up , good luck with ur " Co-Operation `from all , never happen , imo , of course..

Your comment on , fishing for ``residents only `` may push some buttons for a few.. ...

FD...:D

thefogducker@hotmail.com

Ok I think we are getting somewhere
....you now know where my info comes from (the Port Authority to BCSFGA) So you now know why I might know more about this than some others on here.
To your other point...The main reason the problem is more critical now to Ports than years ago is likely the size of traffic and amount of traffic that has increased through the narrows over the years. The Alaska/Vancouver Cruiseship traffic is just one example.

It seems you may have made the wrong assumption of area when I say they could "close the Cap mouth" - Thats no diffeernt than your suggestion they will move the no fishing closure area further west away from the cap mouth. Either way the cap mouth would be closed . It seems we are in agreement then.

As far as my post about 'North Van residents only at the cap' ..... yes it was a poke in fun and if some take it seriously or feel it is stirring the pot ...fine, I can agree it could be taken that way. It was just the silly mood I was in that day. I however say to those 'lighten up' ! ... have a beer !!

PH

all i was getting at was , it is eventually gonna happen , it is TOO CLOSE to the Big Boys , trying to tell guy's to stay outta the lanes is NOT gonna happen ,

its kinda like us boys goin to the Number 5 ,
when a better seat became available , we moved to it.. ( closer to the mouth..[:eek:)] ),,we always want to be where the action is " Better "

nature of the beast ,
the best seats at the cap , " WILL GET MOVED WEST " one day , I PROMISE U.. again , hopefully before someone gets hurt..

FD...[:eek:)]

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BigHog

I am also a member of the BCSFGA and we have had discussion over the past number of years with PORTS re heavily restricting access to the mouth of the Cap as it has become a MAJOR issue for real traffic. This is not a joke and everytime PORTS and Harbour Police come out like they did on Saturday PM and move people out of the shipping lane it just adds fuel to the fire for revisiting the closure discussion.

I was out there Saturday PM, and yah they are starting to really push boats out of the area. I totally understand why, there are some really DUMB boat drivers out there. I counted at least 3 that made me shake my head. There was one boat where the guy was fishing without downriggers and his lines were riding along the surface at least 100' behind his boat. I could only imagine how many tangles he caused with the number of boats out there. Shortly after I landed my 25# (in the area where you're not supposed to be fishing of course :)) the police, harbour patrol and coast guard were a short distance away pushing boats (who were fishing under the bridge!) our way. We had to turn the boat around and head towards them while the fish was on or else I would've lost most of the skin on my left palm!

Aside from that, next time im out there and see them coming im turning the other direction and staying well away from them.

quote: There was one boat where the guy was fishing without downriggers and his lines were riding along the surface at least 100' behind his boat. I could only imagine how many tangles he caused with the number of boats out there
How about those two dummy kayakers-they didn't have a clue or a snowball's chance in hell of catching a fish.

But the crowd wasn't all that bad-Felix is right when he says there used to be a lot more chaos on the water years past.

Not sure who you saw out there but you'd be surprised by some kyak fishers. There is a fellow who fishes the cap ( I saw him last year) the guy is very experienced ....apparently has fished all over the world out of a kyak and I think he has a record or two I beleive was waht I was told. He apparently has played and landed big game fish like Marlin from a Kyak. I saw him play and land a big hog last year - very amazing to watch. The guy is also very good at manouvering around out of the way of boats....he generally stays in really close to the light and works between there and suzie.

I could go on ..... and I remember the guy in a belly boat out in the shipping channel .....lol but thats true!

PH that would've been hilarious to see! And scary at the same time :) This reminds me, i also saw a guy out there in what looked like one of those hip floats with a little electric motor on it and a 3' rod on each side. Some people are die hards out there!

I have been fishing the Cap since the 70's. Normally I get my gear set up away from the crowd and watch the boats to get an idea of direction and order so that I can join in and blend with the flow.
This year I have pretty much avoided the kaos as I watch boats going north-south across the pack etc.
I fish for pleasure and relaxation, not for stress.
Last year when there were 70 boats at the Cap, I went to the other side of the harbor and landed a 45lber with only one other boat within a mile of me.
There do seem to be a few boats out there that appear to believe they have total right of way just because they are out there 5 or 6 days a week.

I couldn't agree more. I rarely do the Cap much these days. Unless I can squeak in a midweeker when it's not too crowded. I used to fish there a ton when I was younger, but I guess my priorities have changed now that I'm a bit older. Like you said, I fish too relax. Fishing the mouth of the Cap is far from relaxing. I have to be in the mood to do combat fishing. And as you said, some days the fishing can be just as good on the other side of the harbor without all the crowds.

Last September and early October I did well fishing in the pack at the marker at the Cap and this September, to date, I have done well fishing slightly to the west of the pack. Not sure it is a case of fewer boats/fewer fish (this year) balancing with more boats/more fish at the marker (last year); regardless, it has been similarly productive and more relaxing both with and without a fish on.

I too have fished the cap for years,to me its not the amount of boats
its the idiots driving them. It's seems that the soc's really
bring out people in every possible boat imaginable,most with no
boat fishing savy. I fished the Cap when everyone else was chasing
the soc's not one boat in sight it was great.

Back