New Reg: North Shore Residents Only at Cap Mouth

Peahead

Congestion at the Cap ? .....Solved. Harbour Police and Transport Canada might like that idea too !! lol !

That's fine, as long as only Vancouver/Richmond residents can fish or drop crab traps off the Fraser river mouth. Never seen so many boat's in years.

I feel your pain; it's been that way at the Cap for decades. Grew up in N.Van and fished it a lot in the 70's early 80's.

The upside of a busy/popular fishery is that there are more 'soldiers' to stand and fight for it when DFO and greasable-politician's **** all over it.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

They should also have a PCOC specifically for operating around the mouth of the Cap. It will include an extensive course in Common Sense. [:p] :D

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Ok..here's a good one...pass red to red...and Starboard Rods to the Beach get the right of way....that works fine for us guides and we never have close calls with eachother...however...factor in a few of the leisurely "weekend warriors"..and it is a GONG show.

Well since the guides fish all week maybe they should stay home on the week ends. Week-end warriors pay taxes too you know,as well as buy licences.Do the guides feel we don't have a right to be on the same water? I have been on or paid for charters with Predator,Bites On and others. Maybe I'll look into other activities to send my clients on.:(

Relax gentlemen, I think a little sarcasm might be happening here. Man oh man.

Any of us that think they own a piece of the water needs to give their heads a shake, that said when I'm out weekend or not I just expect people to know how places are normally fished ... I expect the unexpected, guide boat or not.

Yes the place is getting a little crowded, that said again, if weekend boaters that have no clue how to fish the place and they obstruct the channel, the harbor commission will shut er down.
So get along every one and clue in, fish the place right, sit back if your new and figure out what's going on before scrapping the rod tips off other boats.

HT

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Ok..here's a good one...pass red to red...and Starboard Rods to the Beach get the right of way....that works fine for us guides and we never have close calls with eachother...however...factor in a few of the leisurely "weekend warriors"..and it is a GONG show.

Works perfectly....right hand rod to the rocks. If we can get everyone doing that, life on the water would be a whole lot easier.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Congestion at the Cap ? .....Solved. Harbour Police and Transport Canada might like that idea too !! lol !
I'm all for it. WHile we're at it, let's restrict all fishing witin 25 miles of Vancouver Island to residents only. No island resident, no fishing.:D

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

I'm all for it. WHile we're at it, let's restrict all fishing witin 25 miles of Vancouver Island to residents only. No island resident, no fishing.:D

Lol ...I knew that was coming of course !! Well it seems poking at little fun worked ......If I was serious your comment would not only be fair but also you would be correct .....there is however just one big problem with your suggestion. I am not sure you'd want that and nor would the Island merchants want that ....just think of all those US dollars no longer pumping up the Island economy via fishing. North Shore on the other hand has no Fishing lodges, and infact almost no economy that depends on Americans fishing. Minus Sewell's guides you don't have much here in the way of fishing tourism.

quote:Originally posted by searun

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Works perfectly....right hand rod to the rocks. If we can get everyone doing that, life on the water would be a whole lot easier.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Searun, ever fished the cap in fall ? The cap fishery at the light is way more complicated than most locations because you can't approach the area from the east very easily or legally. You also have to stay out of the shipping lane and the area east of the light as this is closed for fishing. To follow the rt rod to shore rule everyone at cap would need to approach from the west which would mean your east pass would have you farther out in the channel ( which is the first narrows shipping lane ) then you would turn to port (counter clockwise) and run along the beach and past the light heading west. Then turn out again and repeat. The reason this won't work well in practice at the cap is that to stay out of the shipping lane as long as possible everyone is best to fish the east tack closer in (out of the shipping lanes) .....so then when you get to the light you have room only to turn outward clockwise ( to starboard ) briefly heading into the channel but only long enough to make the turn then head back in closer to the beach (out of the channel shipping lane) and heading west. The other problem at the cap is at any one time there can be 5 or 6 boats abreast on an east tack with 5 boats abreast coming back on a west tack...... The only way to have true order would be a single file tack rotation which likely will never happen at the cap with 50-75 boats. It also would work better as a clockwise tack ( port rd to shore) even though that opposes the rule....but it would keep the rotation out of the shipping lane for longer time. The only other answer could be to have the whole area closed east of the 14 st dock !!! I think the cap is one situation where thinking 'outside of the box' and breaking a basic 'rule' might help keep order and keep the cap more organized and theerfore kept open for fishing. Of course all the boats at the cap would have to follow any pattern/ tack chosen to keep the fishing organized and the shipping lane free .....and that is a difficult task.

Can't edit but wanted to add one warning about the Cap area. Harbour police and Harbour authority have warned our association ( BCSFGA) that if fishers continue to disobey the shipping lane being kept clear and we keep fishing past the closed area east of the cap light then the cap mouth fishery could be closed down.
If you see a tanker or cruise ship heading toward first narrows then get out of there.....don't wait till Harbour police has to warn you to get out. If the Harbour police constantly have to warn people then eventually they will close the area to fishing - plain and simple. We then won't need to worry about any tack direction rotation there again.

why we stirring the pot ?,,, did i miss sumting..

it's been like this for years , we live in a BIG city , there will alway's be someone not knowing what they are exactly doing , some , no clue , " It is what it is " ,,, A HUGE CITY , it's why most stay away..[:eek:)],,,if it's so bad , Don't Go There..

if ya are looking to fish in a less stressfull area , try Laidlaw or Vedder crossing areas , in a week or 2...[:eek:)]

I'm Ewout...

FD...[:I]

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

why we stirring the pot ?,,, did i miss sumting..

it's been like this for years , we live in a BIG city , there will alway's be someone not knowing what they are exactly doing , some , no clue , " It is what it is " ,,, A HUGE CITY , it's why most stay away..[:eek:)],,,if it's so bad , Don't Go There..

if ya are looking to fish in a less stressfull area , try Laidlaw or Vedder crossing areas , in a week or 2...[:eek:)]

I'm Ewout...

FD...[:I]

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I suspect you are refering to FM's post? ... that would make sense as I'd say that was stirring the pot. Thats just FM being FM.
However if you are refering to my posts above or my original starting of this thread not sure I understand your comment ?
Yes you might be missing something if you are refering to my posts as my starting of this thread ( and title) was just meant as a fun poke ( tounge-and-cheek ) joke. If you don't like that, well thats unfortunate as wasn't serious ( I assumed that was obvious)
My post above yours is all together different and is serious . I am very concerned the conjestion and lack of keeping a clear first narrows could get the cap closed. Yes it is a big city and it is crowded ...thats why the cap needs cooperation by everyone and why I posted my concern.

PH

lol,,,Super Guides comments , i actually aggeed with this time,

I was questioning why you think they would close down the cap mouth ? and , where did ya here this from ? whether it was a " Fun Poke " or " Tongue n Cheek " you did say you are " Concerned"

Is the Cap busier today than in the 70's and 80's ?, Don't think so ! i remember boats throwing shyt at each other because of the kaos , in a perfect world , ya get the perfect pass or rotation of the fleet , until !! some one , or multiple hook-ups accur , usually guides , then they get swarmed by the envious warriors and create complete madness,, or , yeah, get some guy's anchor releasing ( back in the day ) ...breakdowns,,,yada yada yada , East bound they Go !!

was not shut down then , Why today ?? Do you know somthing most dont

I think this one day is gonna change , not shut down , but move the " NO Fish Area " further west , GUARANTEED!! probabally after some real bad accident ,unfortunately..

Until then , Live with it , or DON"T fish there , you will alway's have kaos there when the fishing picks up , good luck with ur " Co-Operation `from all , never happen , imo , of course..

Your comment on , fishing for ``residents only `` may push some buttons for a few.. ...

FD...:D

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I am also a member of the BCSFGA and we have had discussion over the past number of years with PORTS re heavily restricting access to the mouth of the Cap as it has become a MAJOR issue for real traffic. This is not a joke and everytime PORTS and Harbour Police come out like they did on Saturday PM and move people out of the shipping lane it just adds fuel to the fire for revisiting the closure discussion.

I suggest passing the word on and also getting on the radio when you are out there and let everyone know that Ports and or the Police are in the area and to move out of the shipping lane.

As a side note:

The BCSFGA (BC Sport Fishing Guides Association) started a Chinook Netpen project 5 years at Fisheries in West Vancouver partially due the congestion at the mouth of the Cap. Ports is a contributiing member of our project as they to want to see the traffic spread out across the West Vancouver shoreline. Every year we recieve about 100,000 Chinook from the Cap Hatchery and raise them for about 3 weeks in purpose built pens and then release them. If you would like to participate in this project with donations of money or time please let me know.

just my 2 cents worth !!!

lol.

Bring on the closures! :D

You know when the Coast Guard are out there, the VPD, and Harbour Patrol like they were the other day, that they're going to take a good hard look at the existing regulations and do something.

Technically, the area we're all fishing "out of bounds" anyways. If you read the regs you'll see that to be true.

Back