New reel bleeding line.

Grace underfire

I've just bought a new reel that slowly lets out line unless the drag is cranked right up. My old ones I generally set so that they are roughly the same in the rigger as I like for fighting the fish. If I get a big one that runs right away it's probably going to break something before I can loosen the drag. Is this normal until they break in? Has anyone worked out some sort of system to keep the drag down without bleeding line; I was thinking elastics or Velcro?
Thanks in advance.

What kind of reel is it? If it's an islander welcome to the club. I know that some of the shimano 3000's are having some issues right now with this as well.

What kind of reel is it? If it's an islander welcome to the club. I know that some of the shimano 3000's are having some issues right now with this as well.

Shimano 4000, newer version of what I was using. One of the reasons I didn't buck up for the more expensive reels is exactly this issue having tried them on some other guys' boats.

Shimano 4000, newer version of what I was using. One of the reasons I didn't buck up for the more expensive reels is exactly this issue having tried them on some other guys' boats.

That reel is garbage. Take it back if you have the receipt. The drag is all or nothing and all sellers know it but still sell it. I have one as a spare for the spare and hopefully never have to use it again. Horrible piece of work.

Try upgrading to some carbon washers like sold by Mike's Reel Repairs, they slip less. The new model 4000 slips way more then the old ones. I know that the new 4000 had drag washer issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try upgrading to some carbon washers like sold by Mike's Reel Repairs, they slip less. The new 4000 slip way more then then the old models. I know the new 4000 had drag washer issues.

Try upgrading to some carbon washers like sold by Mike's Reel Repairs, they slip less. The new 4000 slip way more then then the old models. I know the new 4000 had drag washer issues.
Yep the old 2000's had no issues. I also have a P.O.S. Shimano 4000 GT. rfeally glad OI only ever bought one! I have never had the drags replaced and keep saying I will. One trick to help it from reel creep is to press down hard on the outside of the spool right at the base where the reel attaches to the rod and while doing so, crank the drag in a bit. It does help.

Just tried some of the new ones when out with a buddy the other day. The drags were terrible and had to do the same thing....crank them right down.

To keep my Islander from creeping, I have a spare downrigger clip secured around the boom of the downrigger.
I clip the line into it after I set my gear and can have my drag set nice and loosely.
When a big fish hits, the line pulls free of both clips, setting the hook. When a little fish hits, you do have to remember to grab the line by the reel to make sure it pops out of the top clip.
I really like this set up, no worries about having the drag set too tightly, and no fiddling with the drag when you start to play the fish.

To keep my Islander from creeping, I have a spare downrigger clip secured around the boom of the downrigger.
I clip the line into it after I set my gear and can have my drag set nice and loosely.
When a big fish hits, the line pulls free of both clips, setting the hook. When a little fish hits, you do have to remember to grab the line by the reel to make sure it pops out of the top clip.
I really like this set up, no worries about having the drag set too tightly, and no fiddling with the drag when you start to play the fish.
That sounds effective. Thanks for the tip.

I purchased Shimano 4000's three years ago. Both creeped out line. Dealer would not take them back. Rather they sent them away for repair under warranty. Some place on the the Mainland.

Back