New jigging setup

kthomas

Here is a follow up from my other thread ultra light jigging setup. Rather than updating that thread, I decided to make a new one.

Well anyways the rod and reel are finally in my hands! I ordered a 5'3" Jigging Master Power Spell 150g rod, and a 5.3:1 avet sx single speed reel. This rod is extremely balanced, lightweight and well made! Although that is why I bought it, I was still really surprised by it. The avet sx seems to be a little power house of a reel. Small, light and compact, but with a surprising amount of drag for its size. I think I have a winner of a combo here, for an ultralight yet capable jigging setup.

Here are some pictures:

005.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

I also purchases some purple 150g river2sea sea rock jigs and a few sets of owner sabiki 7/0 assist hooks. I believe the lings will love this combo. Can't wait to hit the water now!

Should be fun, the rod is shorter than anything i have used...
try a 100 lb halibut on that ! ;)

This is the shortest rod in my arsenal, my next shortest is a 5'8" trevala. Although this is going to be primarily used for lingcod, I wouldn't mind hooking up with a 100lb halibut to really test it out! Might be a bit before I get to test it out on hali, as I usually fish in the Strait of Georgia.

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get out on the water to try out this setup, but so far it seems like it is going to be a winner for slaying the lings! I've always been intrigued by these lightweight yet powerful japanese jigging rods, I'm excited to finally be the owner of one :)

Oooooo! Now I might need one. Ling jigging is one of my faves for sure.

Do it! The site I bought the rod off is currently selling all their jigging master rods at 20% off. The rod prices went up $20 recently, but they are still a decent deal for what you are getting. If you want the link to the site, let me know.

Back