New forum rules

I'm all for forum rules, but pulling threads because the topic is "volatile" is a bit over the edge. These volatile topics need to be discussed, now, not when things simmer down after awhile, that's exactly how Harper's government works...they make no comment until a certain time has passed then people lose interest in the topic and there are no repercussions for their actions. I don't believe we should be taking lessons from the Harper government on issues.

I'm not for calling people idiots and that kind of crap and those users should be warned then banned, not whole topics dismantled, the topics still need to be discussed, end of story. Essentially if I don't want a topic discussed I can just go in and start name calling then boom, its locked...kind of silly IMO.

No one has been canned for their opinion. People get canned for personal attacks, insults and drunken rants... Hmmmm four people hqve been canned since last april after repeated warnings. Yep we are the third reich here. This time of year a lot of people are bored and jump headfirst into fights. Same as happens at the end of winter every year... Some threads get pulled when an intelligent debate turns into a festival of insults threats and profanity... And some get pulled because they are a poor fit such as anti sport fishing posts, or they will serve no purpose but to start another battle royal.. The usual string of forum suicides is nothing new it happens every winter.. Some people move on. And on another note I cant think of a time where I got rid of a thread and did not give a good explanation when asked....

I have never used the f bomb or variation of it as well as called anyone here or other forums a name, its just the way I was brought up to respect other people. I was not aware of what happened earlier in these threads and apologise to Last Chance and any other mods for jumping to conclusions on the recent new rules.I hope the members that were talking of leaving reconsider and give it a chance.

At the risk of advertising my techno-peasant status, where are the new forum rules? I would like to have a look at them.

Yup!

Me too and I'm old!

The simple fact is that some people here need to get over themselves and showing respect for Private Property is always a good way to conduct yourself.

Carl Z
Vancouver BC
Hey Carl... the moderating here is mild compared to the Oregon iFish forum which we both post on. Can you imagine...... I got given my last (and only warning) when I answered the thread "What is your favorite movie?" For some reason Jennie got all ***** when I gave them my three favorites----- Deep Throat, Green Door and Debbie does Dallas!!! No sense of ha-ha at all!!! LOL

At the risk of advertising my techno-peasant status, where are the new forum rules? I would like to have a look at them.

Same as before, no profanity and no personal attacks. Except we are done with endless warnings for the hot headed among us that make them on a weekly basis... %99 of the regular folks around here are just fine. They are on the terms of use page.

I gave them my three favorites----- Deep Throat, Green Door and Debbie does Dallas!!!
I just Googled those movies...I can see why you got a warning. If you got a warning there why would you post them here? Sure glad Jeesica was not sitting beside me when those pages opened up.

Witch hunt? Not at all. Accountability, abso-freaking-lutely. In the minutes shows the real story but if they are posted the thread will probably be locked as the subject is "volatile". It is much like Harper tactics which oh so many always complain about. This can not be denied. Mods do a great job on here but if it turns to name calling and what not locking a thread is not the way to go especially when it is something as important as the past few threads.

On the Drag Race Forum I belong to the worst guy here would be Justin Bieber there, they have a section called the lounge and the mod has to give you access. In the lounge anything goes.

^^ not sure if that'd be better though. Def need rules. I thought it was fine the way it was before but life goes on. As does the forum

Here ya go Rockish... Hope all is well over there and surprised you didn't get it in your email..

To All Forum Members,

In light of recent events on the SportfishingBC.com Forum, we have decided to take the extraordinary step of revamping our policies and rules of conduct regarding posting on the forum. These new standards are listed below, so please read them and follow them closely in the future.

Regrettably, things have changed in the Internet world since this forum was put in place in 1998. We work hard at attempting to allow the free flow of information on this forum because 99% of what is shared is extremely useful and helps all of us feel like we are part of a welcoming and caring community. It is a balancing act between freedom of speech and censorship that isn’t always easy to maintain. I know all of us are passionate about all things fishing and that passion recently took a far too negative tone on our forum. At a time when the fish need us more than ever, we have found a way to divide our community and this is not what our forum was ever intended to do.

For our part, I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize to those of you who took the brunt of criticism in a few posts recently. Both Peter and I have spent countless hours volunteering for many different entities and have endured negative comments many times as well. Hindsight is always 20/20 and while we can’t go back to fix the damage, we can learn from what occurred and do a better job in the future.

The past is past. For those of you who already volunteer, we encourage you to stay the course and we applaud you. At the end of the day, we can keep fighting over the fish until there are no more to fight about, or we can fight for the fish and provide the same great opportunities to enjoy sport fishing for generations to come.

If you have any questions or concerns you may PM us at Admin on the forum.

Regards,

Brian and Peter
SportfishingBC.com

FORUM RULES

Although the administrators and moderators of SportfishingBC.com Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SportfishingBC.com Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are, obscene, vulgar, abusive, sexually-oriented, hateful, false, threatening, sexist, profane, harassing, defamatory, and inaccurate or otherwise violate any laws both Internationally or Federally.

Posting of sexually explicit material or material of an adult nature is strictly forbidden and will be cause for immediate removal of the forum member responsible. Suggestion or promotion of illegal activities is prohibited.

As users of this forum, members agree to NOT insult, slur, slander, threaten, defame, make remarks of a sexual nature, or verbally attack any individual or business enterprise. Advertising content within the SportfishingBC.com Forum will not be tolerated without the consent of the Administrators or Moderators of SportfishingBC.com. As of this writing, a text link within your post to a website is acceptable, and is subject to review and editing, or deletion at the sole discretion of the Administrators or Moderators of the forum.

The owners of SportfishingBC.com Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason. Any forum member in violation of the policies listed above or any other act perpetrated by a member that is deemed detrimental to the operation of said forum and SportfishingBC.com will be subject to sanctions or a permanent ban from said forum. These actions shall be taken at the sole discretion of the owners, Administrators or Moderators of the SportfishingBC.com Forum.

General Conduct
SportfishingBC.com strives to allow as much free flow and exchange of ideas in its forum as possible. To help this process stay on track and not turn into a community torn apart by personal attacks, arguments, and name calling, respect and decorum are required by all users. A couple of old school edicts come to mind in this regard. “Do unto others as you would have done to you” and, as our Mothers often reminded us, “If you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything at all.”

This may seem to over simplify situations that arise from time to time on a forum, but the common sense in those statements is as true today as it was before the advent of this large community called the internet.

Having said that, here are some reminders of ways to avoid having the Administrators or Moderators become involved in editing or sanctioning your posts. While it is perfectly logical and acceptable to disagree with someone’s point of view, it is not acceptable to call them an idiot, or any other derogatory term, before stating why you disagree. Again, while you are welcome to express your views on a particular subject, you will not be allowed to continually “stir the pot” to try and get your point across. It is not necessary to re-state your point of view over and over again. This only leads to arguments and generally destroys any constructive discussion from occurring.

When discussing a business it is perfectly acceptable to compare and state a preference or a possible option for other members to consider within the industry being discussed. However, it is not acceptable to share a personal experience that degrades that business. The operator of the business being discussed has no way to refute a claim made by a member without it becoming a “he said she said” event and should be dealt with in private.

Do not bring personal issues between yourself and another member to this forum. Those conversations need to take place via a personal form of communication between the members. Lastly, the word democracy is used regularly in our society as a means for some to justify saying anything they want in a public forum. A democracy is truly a place where you should be able to disagree with someone while being respectful and without causing harm to that individual or group of individuals. Democracies, while allowing freedom of thought and expression, also have laws and a policing system to enforce those laws. So, before you hit the post button, please take a moment to reflect on whether or not your post is respectful and follows the policies laid out above. This will allow for the exchange of knowledge about fishing to thrive for generations old and new.

Thank you for joining the SportfishingBC.com Forum. We look forward to your contributions to the Sports Fishing community.

If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of SportFishingBC Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SportFishingBC Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of SportFishingBC Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.

Nothing has really changed...

jerimiahjones
.... LOL You need a cooler name than that.. use your imagination man.. We dont have a Chumbucket... or a Duckdropper, Ponyboy?... You are not a black WWI hero :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolonga!

I was banned with ZERO warnings. Actually that was a lie. I did get a warning in early 2012 so 1 year in between being banned and a warning. But that was the only warning I received in my 3-4 years as a member here. I have never personally attacked anyone, and never drink and post. What i say comes from my mouth and its a 100%me and sober. Cant say the same for some members who post hammered, say a bunch of stuff they regret then go back and edit everyting in the morning. When I inquired about why I was banned the BS reply I got was I was too much work for the moderators as they were constantly deleting and/or editing my posts. Again, another lie. My posts have never been either. The night I was banned 2 members were both a few drinks deep personally attacking each other. I posted “ G A Y” that was it. Woke up banned and this is where we are now. I have had people follow me around the forum talking smack yet im the bad guy. Searun, Derby, and most of all Fishtofino. Followed every post I made for quite a long time. What has that guy added in the last 2 years? Search his posts. NOTHING. There is someone who should be banned based on your current criteria. Look how many times he’s called someone an idiot. Just constant harassing of new and current members, that don’t conform to the status quo. I am not saying I am a saint, I have a strong opinion, and call a spade a spade, and people don’t like that. But I also have a lot to add as well. Anyway, id love to come back to this forum, but don’t feed everyone that everyone (at least me anyway) has been warned a million times because that is a crock. This forum has had WAY more drama, personal attacks, and just complete Chaos than when I was here. Yet I’m still banned, and others are still here. Censorship, favouritism whatever, but those are the facts. I’m sure this will be deleted and I will be banned again, which is fine. Its been fun lurking for the last month watching all of this unfold and having no part in any of it

Last note, Start accepting peoples opinions. Shunning people who don’t agree, as commercial fisherman who are anti sport sector, or worse calling them trolls isn’t helping your cause(s)

Lorne Parker out!

[lLCEUpIg8rE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

I never found you offensive by any means...stir the pit sure, but there are worse offenders than you on here. And to say your passionate about our fishery would be an understatement. More ppl like that involved is a good thing not a bad thing.

Yeah Lorne, nice personal attack, so typical.

And yet you wanted to be my Facebook friend

What a hypocrite you are

I am on other good forums and smart guys like lorne are usually invited as moderators so that other opinions can be heard and replied to properly.

Yeah Lorne, nice personal attack, so typical.

And yet you wanted to be my Facebook friend

What a hypocrite you are

Thats is kinda hypocritical....... jus sayin

Back