New Fishery Minister

Derby

Crew Member
http://www.keithashfieldmp.ca/content/238487

Biography

Keith Ashfield, son of Nora Locke and the late Jack Ashfield, was first elected to represent the federal constituency of Fredericton on October 14th, 2008. On October 30th, 2008, he was appointed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper as the Minister of State for Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. On January 19th, 2010, Prime Minister Stephen Harper called upon Keith Ashfield to serve as the Minster of Canada Revenue Agency, Minister of Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, Minister of Atlantic Gateway and Regional Minister for New Brunswick.

Prior to his election to the Parliament of Canada, Keith was elected three times to the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick. In the Progressive Conservative government of Premier Bernard Lord, Keith served as the Legislature’s Deputy Speaker from 1999 to 2003 and as provincial Minister of Natural Resources from 2003 to 2006. From 2006 to October 2008, he sat in Opposition. Keith has been actively involved with the Progressive Conservative Party of New Brunswick and, for several years, he served as the director of the Fredericton Progressive Conservative Party Association.

Before entering provincial politics, Keith was active in school trustee associations at the local, provincial and national levels. He has held senior positions in local companies, and has owned and operated his own businesses. He studied Business Administration at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton. Keith and his wife, Judy, currently reside in Lincoln, NB. They have two grown children, Tara and Seth.

Another east coaster........

Same shoes, different feet.

And we all know how the east Coast fishery is doing....

Will wait and see, but do not expect much of a difference.

Cheers

SS

Can't be worse that Shea. Really hoping that our west coast MPs can get his ear a little but based on history I'm doubtful. Anyone know more about Ashfields views and policies on fisheries? I admittedly know very little other than what I've read over the past day or so.

I hate to say it but by the description provided above he looks like a long time Tory crony/yes man with no fisheries experience, who will do only what he is told. In essence the same as we had with Shea except he is a guy. I dunno maybe some guides can offer him some free hali and salmon trips when he is out on this coast and get him interested in our concerns? Just a thought.

The issue goes way beyond who is actually filling the seat. The Finance Minister has, according to the G&M, asked each and every Department to come back with 5% and 10% reductions to their budget. What is that going to leave Fisheries with...of wait, it means 5% or 10% fewer people actually doing any work, more people sitting behind a desk running a computer model and more in Ottawa. I've heard Ottawa has more DFO employees than the Pcific Region...that is a sad sad statement if it is true.

So maybe Keith Ashfield with his previous background as Federal Revenue Minister may be able to grasp the arithmetic around the idea that a sustainable and healthy Wild Pacific Fishery is worth infinitely more to Canadians than fish-farming.

I'm gonna' find out.

Seeing as we have a new fisheries minister perhaps it would be appropriate to begin sending a new round of letters concerning the Halibut allocation issue.

H.E.H.

Definitely not time to back off. We have to keep pushing while we still have their attention.

Back