New father wanting to take son out fishing. Quick question.

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
So, ive fished in BC for 30 years and just recently became a dad for the first time back in September. With the weather being as nice as it is in the interior, i was thinking of going fishing today with the wife and kid. Here is my question. Can i fish 3 rods? I understand that my son is 5 months old but he is considered a person under the age of 16, is he not? Im well aware that he cannot reel a fish in as he is just at the stage of figuring out how to pick up his toys. Im just curious as to what the regs on this subject are. Ive tried to find information on the fisheries site but all that i can find is the under 16 rule.

If the child is unable to handle a rod-- then you cant have a rod for him. But I dont think a CO would be too concerned if dad held his kid in his arms and showed him how to reel in a fish.

From DFO regs:
There is no limit to the number of fishing rods a licensed angler may
use in tidal waters, other than the tidal waters of the Fraser River where
the limit is one line per angler.

Fresh Water is different if I remember correctly - 1 rod per licence unless you are alone, then 2 rods

yeah as many as you wish out on the chuck
but pulling 5 on your own takes a bit of work :p

Yes you can fish 3 rods...He is child is he not..?? Honestly don't even ask... We are supposed to be promoting fishing with kids... Personally I would have no problem with it all. Technically unless it says an age limit etc I see no value in court..And honestly I don't think a CO is going to care. If someone gives grief over that there an idiot as far as I concerned..All of us fished with are parents in lakes in the early days...

Good on you for taking your kids out not enough anglers do this enough...

Yes you can fish 3 rods...He is child is he not..?? Honestly don't even ask... We are supposed to be promoting fishing with kids... Personally I would have no problem with it all. Technically unless it says an age limit etc I see no value in court..And honestly I don't think a CO is going to care. If someone gives grief over that there an idiot as far as I concerned..All of us fished with are parents in lakes in the early days...

Good on you for taking your kids out not enough anglers do this enough...

No. Dad can fish and the child can fish, as long as it is that child doing the fishing. Dad can't "use" his 5 month old infant to justify another rod. No five month old can even remotely handle a fishing rod. Maybe the kid is 5 years old?

where in regs does it say that though that's what I am getting at.... And does it really matter? Technically if child is registered there entitled regardless.

You guys realize he is talking fresh water.. so you won't find answers on DFO's site....

I wouldn't if you are fishing from shore.

Again please share the BC regulation that states this is so..Dan I am not stupid I know he is talking freshwater... That's all I am getting it at it seems like such a non issue in my opinion... And BTW When my kid was same age and younger we fished shawnigan all the time with two rods. It seems a little silly...

There is nothing in the fresh water regs about minimum age for anglers under 16. You can always call their office and get some ambiguous answer.

Pretty sure that even though there are no specific regs on this, the spirit of the rules are based on the assumption that a person engaged in the act of angling is in fact doing something to catch a fish, and not snuggled in a blanket, enjoying a boat ride.

Then again, what does it really matter if your not out there to pillage the resource. Your are just enjoying a day with the family. I say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again please share the BC regulation that states this is so..Dan I am not stupid I know he is talking freshwater... That's all I am getting it at it seems like such a non issue in my opinion... And BTW When my kid was same age and younger we fished shawnigan all the time with two rods. It seems a little silly...

I didn't imply you were stupid.......

If he has a licence (which is not needed) for a 5 month old and fishing from shore and using that licence for an excuse for an extra rod and "if" he did get checked by a provincial CO he would have a problem..

A boat would be a different story... You look it up :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back