New coho regulations

looks from that, we get a little relief on Sept 1 (Juan de Fuca)...every little bit helps, especially since last 2 weeks of Sept are often a useless time for actually finding salmon to keep!

All say that is good news. Hopefully the hatch/wild thing will be lifted in time..

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the sentiments on here that such regs would be a lot more meaningful to anglers if Canada had the same mark rate as the US. Right now we're very lucky if more than 1 out of 10 hatchery coho is marked originating from a DFO hatchery. Still a move in the right direction as harvesting even one unmarked fish in your quota will mean that many fewer unmarked to sort through. No perfect solution with voracious schools of coho but I've found a single barbless siwash, fish left in the water and gaff hook to pull the hook significantly reduces damage and morts.

Ukee

wen applied to the west coast,with the 4 of any inside surf line and the 1 and 1 outside. is the line still in the same spot? Eg area 23 the line is from say bamfield harbor(Aguilar point or whatever it is called across) to the other side. Is that line still the same wen considering new Coho regs?

I would think it is still the same but just checking to be sure.

This is awesome and also a testiment to the many volunteer stream keepers on the island. I noticed 20 spawning coho pairs in the upper Morrison Creek in only 100 yards of it's length while walking my dog last fall. The streamkeepers that I met on that day were also impressed with the number of spawning pairs over the full length of the creek. We are finally seeing the benefits of restoring habitat that was neglected for many years for a number of reasons ie logging, rural development etc.

The fishery notice should be out today and it will open June 27 at 0001, good luck guys and enjoy it. First time in 18 years, and a good sign that things are starting to recover from the bad state that we were all once in"
.( Don't lose faith in the process, this is proof that it works and that you can see benefits from being involved. Keep providing catch information and buy your SFAB members a beer next time you see one - you should be grateful for the hardworking people that represent you and your interests on the SFAB, for free.)"

Agree 100% About the Process & BEER!!! Thanks Gamechanger!!

wen applied to the west coast,with the 4 of any inside surf line and the 1 and 1 outside. is the line still in the same spot? Eg area 23 the line is from say bamfield harbor(Aguilar point or whatever it is called across) to the other side. Is that line still the same wen considering new Coho regs?

I would think it is still the same but just checking to be sure.

Here's a link to the map: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/23-co.pdf

"Tide" line, as it relates to coho, ducks way inside Barkley Sound, particularly on the SE side between the broken group and Bamfield. Not sure who comes up with these lines, suppose they're trying to capture the fact many offshore schools duck into the areas around Great Bear/Alley and Austin/Cree/Effingham but is a big pain in the arse when they bisect popular fishing areas. Ukee Harbour mouth, around Beg Island, Food Islets and Chrow is half in and half out, so depending on where you hook a Ho on your trolling tack a different reg would apply. Would be nice to see the various lines cleaned up to address such issues, though suppose they have to balance ease of delineating areas vs not bisecting known fishing locations. Would be simpler to use the tide line that delineates Area 23 from 123 in my opinion as isn't the def'n of 23 vs 123 inshore vs offshore?

Ukee

Here's a link to the map: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/23-co.pdf

"Tide" line, as it relates to coho, ducks way inside Barkley Sound, particularly on the SE side between the broken group and Bamfield. Not sure who comes up with these lines, suppose they're trying to capture the fact many offshore schools duck into the areas around Great Bear/Alley and Austin/Cree/Effingham but is a big pain in the arse when they bisect popular fishing areas. Ukee Harbour mouth, around Beg Island, Food Islets and Chrow is half in and half out, so depending on where you hook a Ho on your trolling tack a different reg would apply. Would be nice to see the various lines cleaned up to address such issues, though suppose they have to balance ease of delineating areas vs not bisecting known fishing locations. Would be simpler to use the tide line that delineates Area 23 from 123 in my opinion as isn't the def'n of 23 vs 123 inshore vs offshore?

Ukee

Yes thanks. I know the line and the map. I only ask because you are not the first to point out some suggestions for a change to it.It has been talked about by many. My understanding was it was going to stay as is. just trying to confirm that is in fact true.

Cheers

19/20 1 wild per day starting Sep 1st? That's great news theres often really NICE coho's early September.

I think that coho map is from last season, so it looks like the easy path was chosen rather than moving the line - probably to get the change implemented in time, moving the line would have created some extra work and time to write up the variance orders and supporting documentation which would put getting the regs change in jeapardy. When we were formulating the SFAB proposals the request was to push the Area 23 coho line out to the surf line to make it follow the natural fishing areas and reduce the confusion all the current lines create. More work for next season...one step at a time. Its a process and we have to treat it as a starting point. This has been a long time coming, so lets at least be grateful for the improved opportunities.

19/20 1 wild per day starting Sep 1st? That's great news theres often really NICE coho's early September.

That was one of the considerations in the decision around proposals. As has been stated, one of the big challenges is the interception rate in JDF of the coho stocks of concern. Its hard to treat every area exactly the same when the interception rates are vastly different. The input we heard from JDF reps was September fishery was very important and there was less interception impacts to the Fraser coho. Tough choices and a very complicated fishery. If anyone thinks it is easy, try getting involved and weigh all the information and divergent interests to arrive at a decision.

I think that coho map is from last season, so it looks like the easy path was chosen rather than moving the line - probably to get the change implemented in time, moving the line would have created some extra work and time to write up the variance orders and supporting documentation which would put getting the regs change in jeapardy. When we were formulating the SFAB proposals the request was to push the Area 23 coho line out to the surf line to make it follow the natural fishing areas and reduce the confusion all the current lines create. More work for next season...one step at a time. Its a process and we have to treat it as a starting point. This has been a long time coming, so lets at least be grateful for the improved opportunities.

At last check the map was the same and I also believe from last year. So in reading this I get that the Line stayed the same for this year?? Yes ?? Has there been positive feedback from DFO in regards to moving it as many of us have suggested ? The last time I spoke to DFO about it at our meeting was last year shortly after they had adjusted the Nootka Esperanza Chinook closure. Correction it may have been the spring meeting wen we talked of pending movement in the coho regs.If I remember right Brad had said that it would likely not happen any time soon. Think that was the answer anyway. Regardless it is a positive move and will provide mor oportunity and maybe utilize some of the fish that surly fell into the 15%plus mortality as we tossed them back all day long.

Good news overall. Hope the essr continues and we don't see a big down turn once production cuts take affect.

Totally agree Ray, we have to take a longer term approach and chip away at this. The first positive step forward was seeing increased wild coho opportunities. Like you I would love to see that line moved out to the Area 23 - 123 line. More arm wrestling and positive ESSR years might get us there.

As if Wolf, the reason that you guys have to wait until September is because your impact on Interior Fraser Coho is so high down there compared to other areas. You guys would burn through the whole wad if you were open all summer in JDF.

AS IF hhmmm them are rather harsh YOU say we impact them too much..... ok ill bite so throwing back wild after wild after wild looking for the 1 out of 10 hatchery coho and seeing MANY die is that not as well impacting the coho stocks????

I understand the whole concept do I like it NO not really id rather have a 2 a day limit get them and be gone to have to go thru so many fish and let them go is sad, ive seen many many many floaters out there.

Same as the spring restrictions we get hammered in area 19/20 but no one else gets hit seems the inside gets to pick them off with big numbers and the head returns support those numbers one only has to see limits on other boards and FB to see the "impact"
I just want what is fair when everywhere else can keep a wild why cant we......

Kinda sad to me a guy who makes a living off the resource year after year killing thousands of fish can only complain when DFO has made a HUGE change and allowed our whole area 1 wild sep 1st.

I've got a recommendation to address Wolfs concerns DFO should make our area 1 per day period. Would that be better?

Would be nice to see the same rules for all of 19 and 18. I still find this switch that takes place for springs at 19-5 questionable and seems to me last year area 18 and 19 had different coho rules for the same run?

The Coho populations continue to rebound nicely in recent years even with the filtering of wild to get your hatchery fish. I don\t buy the argument that most fishermen would take the first 2 Coho and quit. I'll be honest and say if that were a rule I would hate it. Get up early, put $75.00 worth of gas in the boat...run to the grounds...know that there are some beauty 15-20 pound Coho to be had and ready to put in some time to try and find one. Hit a double header in the first 15 minutes.... 5 and 7 pounders and have to quit and go home? ******!!!!

The Coho populations continue to rebound nicely in recent years even with the filtering of wild to get your hatchery fish. I don\t buy the argument that most fishermen would take the first 2 Coho and quit. I'll be honest and say if that were a rule I would hate it. Get up early, put $75.00 worth of gas in the boat...run to the grounds...know that there are some beauty 15-20 pound Coho to be had and ready to put in some time to try and find one. Hit a double header in the first 15 minutes.... 5 and 7 pounders and have to quit and go home? ******!!!!

Good Point, but an option would be nice to stay or go and to "keep wild or clipped". I just hate putting back a good sized wild ho, knowing that it will be seal lunch , just my two cents

I'm not a big fan of 'picking through' fish either, whether coho due to regs of springs due to people's/guests desire to only bonk big ones. There have been several studies done on C&R survival rates and while most of the studies I've seen have very high survival rates (90% +) the studies were conducted by well trained guides/fishermen who know best practices (not all guides and fishermen do, even the ones out there every day). One of the studies up north also released the fish into a big seine net and held them for a day or two to see survival rates and they were extremely high. However, as some have pointed out here there were no seals/sea lions or other predators inside that seine net. Either way, C&R, if done probably, will result in a high survival rate overall but no matter how careful you are there are still going to be fish that die.

My point is that the filtering will happen either way. Sure if you get a couple of 10 to 15 pound Coho before you get a bunch of small ones you take them and go...but how often and for how many boats on the water in a given day does that happen? Having to keep hte first 2 bleeders would be the ultimate solution...but we know that would never work...very few fishermen are that honest!!

Back