New braided fiber vs steel downrigger line

"After some thinking and research. I believe the answer is simple. No wire in the water no need for black box. With braided line the problem of current is of no concern."

Not quite so simple.

Just because you don't have DR wire in the water doesn't mean your boat doesn't have an electrical problem, that's a separate issue.

If you have a hot boat fish will go nuts when they're brought to the net even if the DR cables aren't in the water.

You need to use a voltmeter to check what you natural voltage is after</u> you've made sure there are no other electrical problems, as has been discussed here many times.

"The bait is too far from the boat to make any difference. I have noticed no difference in my catch success with braided. The black box was only beneficial with wire downrigger cable"

Not true either.

I've fished with people who ran their lures 100' feet behind the wire and who, upon cranking it up for Sockeye, had fish on almost at will.

The right current in the water draws fish to the boat, if you read what Kisiana posted Salmon are indeed very sensitive to electrical currents, putting an additional current via wire does do the trick but not for everyone all the time.

"After some thinking and research. I believe the answer is simple. No wire in the water no need for black box. With braided line the problem of current is of no concern."

Not quite so simple.

Just because you don't have DR wire in the water doesn't mean your boat doesn't have an electrical problem, that's a separate issue.

If you have a hot boat fish will go nuts when they're brought to the net even if the DR cables aren't in the water.

You need to use a voltmeter to check what you natural voltage is after</u> you've made sure there are no other electrical problems, as has been discussed here many times.

"The bait is too far from the boat to make any difference. I have noticed no difference in my catch success with braided. The black box was only beneficial with wire downrigger cable"

Not true either.

I've fished with people who ran their lures 100' feet behind the wire and who, upon cranking it up for Sockeye, had fish on almost at will.

The right current in the water draws fish to the boat, if you read what Kisiana posted Salmon are indeed very sensitive to electrical currents, putting an additional current via wire does do the trick but not for everyone all the time.

Dogbreath, Thanks for that.
So what your suggesting is stay with the wire and the black box?
My Natural boat voltage runs at .48

Dogbreath, Thanks for that.
So what your suggesting is stay with the wire and the black box?
My Natural boat voltage runs at .48

Well sort of true dogbreath BUT and this is a big BUT If someones boat is that HOT then there is a bigger issue than a dr wire in the water that boat has some serious ground leakage somewhere and if thats the problem start from new and rip every thing out. and re wire its a long tedious job.

One of my boats was previously wired with a bunch of automotive wiring and my blower would work and not work same with the wipers so after the summer ripped all the wiring out and started scratch using marine grade wire and make sure that I had every thing to neg and to pos on all the same jacks made a huge difference and some of the wires were so corroded and were not even near water or a source but you could see a bulge in the wire and once you cut it open it was corroded.

One thing you all must remember it is not the boat that catches fish and on any given day the natural reading in the water is going to be different every day because of salinity in the water be it too much fresh water currents etc. ill use nitnat bar as an example or camper creek sooke basin whatever you want to use in front of these places every day it will be different especially when it is raining the amount of fresh water will effect this big time.

So think what you want but this is a small % in your ability to catch fish think about the good ol days with the 6 ft peetz rod and reel combo with a 2lb ball hanging off it an old crysler engine outboard (voltage leak in that thing) a rotary depth sounder or how about the old bike wheel downrigger We have become so technical now we forget the K.I.S.S.system and we all caught fish then didnt we heck we didnt even use bait or sometimes homemade strip I think the old man still has the jig in the shop.

Makes on think doesnt it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Well sort of true dogbreath BUT and this is a big BUT If someones boat is that HOT then there is a bigger issue than a dr wire in the water that boat has some serious ground leakage somewhere and if thats the problem start from new and rip every thing out. and re wire its a long tedious job.

One of my boats was previously wired with a bunch of automotive wiring and my blower would work and not work same with the wipers so after the summer ripped all the wiring out and started scratch using marine grade wire and make sure that I had every thing to neg and to pos on all the same jacks made a huge difference and some of the wires were so corroded and were not even near water or a source but you could see a bulge in the wire and once you cut it open it was corroded.

One thing you all must remember it is not the boat that catches fish and on any given day the natural reading in the water is going to be different every day because of salinity in the water be it too much fresh water currents etc. ill use nitnat bar as an example or camper creek sooke basin whatever you want to use in front of these places every day it will be different especially when it is raining the amount of fresh water will effect this big time.

So think what you want but this is a small % in your ability to catch fish think about the good ol days with the 6 ft peetz rod and reel combo with a 2lb ball hanging off it an old crysler engine outboard (voltage leak in that thing) a rotary depth sounder or how about the old bike wheel downrigger We have become so technical now we forget the K.I.S.S.system and we all caught fish then didnt we heck we didnt even use bait or sometimes homemade strip I think the old man still has the jig in the shop.

Makes on think doesnt it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Chubby dont touch a thing your boat is fine wish my reading was that low.

Wolf

Chubby dont touch a thing your boat is fine wish my reading was that low.

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

NO!!!!!!!! I said ill stick with wire so I know where my voltage is. I never said it doesnt matter I posted a question to you all on how and why(please re read) I never said it doesnt matter??????Its just that I dont believe in the whole voltage thing as the reason WHY people dont catch fish.

Everyone will blam there boat for not catching fish ever thought it was the fisherman!!!!!!

Last year a guy down at the dock was going on about how he needed a black box and the whole thing on how springs like 5.5 to 6.5 volts on a boat and went and bought one so I hopped on his boat and got him to run every thing tested it at the dock the meter was at 5.8 told him why bother but he did took him 2 days to hook it up (42 FT cruiser boat)After the year was done asked him if it made a difference he said he turned it off after a bit and he still caught fish I told him what i was using and the different spin on the bait as to my success and he started catching more fish.

I think color combos and how you spin the bait are way more important that boat voltage,remember a fish is biting the anchovie not your downrigger line!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Good luck Wolf

Wolf---I agree in part. It's very important to make sure you've got your gear working properly. However---Scotty and the commercial boats out there have done their homework. I believe the effects have been studied and experiments conducted on commercial trollers and adjustments in the voltage with cameras trained on several pieces of gear and schools of salmon following the boat have demonstrated that voltage is VERY IMPORTANT. Crank the voltage too high---the fish disappear and don't bite. Crank the voltage down to a respectable limit---and they start hooking and fish start following. It's almost instantaneous!!!!!!!!!!

Of course good Zincs are important! However, just to show you how important Zincs are---buddy had the Zincs as new at the beginning of the season, and voltage was .62 naturally....at the end of the season voltage was substantially different with the Zincs nearly 50% or more gone. The black box allows instantaneous compensation for your Zinc problems throughout the season, and for Species being fished. Sox love it!!!!!!!!

In the Vancouver area--black boxes are definitely useful---we've got so much Freshwater runoff around here it's unreal, and if it gives you an advantage---that's good!

Also, now that EVERYONE is fishing downriggers--when you're fishing in tight quarters with other boats, it can mean the difference between putting more fish in the box than the rest of the fleet for sure!

For example--another guide fishing the exact same area at the exact same depths, gets ZERO, and I've had the fortunate experience of trolling past past him or through the same area and hooking fish. Next week, I was running that boat---and not catching---something about that boat!!!! Put 2 foot snubbers on the balls, lengthened the leads off the cable a bit more, and viola---that boat would keep pace....

Besides, call it another gadget---but if it means the difference between double the fish or 25 percent more hookups or whatever the percentage may be---you're going to get it back in terms of more charters, happier guests, and more memorable trips.

Heck--I fish expensive hooks...necessary to catch fish? No. But do I get a return on my investment? Yes. More hook ups, less time spent sharpening, etc... same thing.

It'd be great if there were more fish around---then none of this Downrigger, Black Box, tackle technology crap/debate stuff would be on this board. We'd be swapping fish weights and lure colours instead of debating the "reasons why", and sharing a whole lot more recipes.

Just my $0.02

quote:Originally posted by wolf

NO!!!!!!!! I said ill stick with wire so I know where my voltage is. I never said it doesnt matter I posted a question to you all on how and why(please re read) I never said it doesnt matter??????Its just that I dont believe in the whole voltage thing as the reason WHY people dont catch fish.

Everyone will blam there boat for not catching fish ever thought it was the fisherman!!!!!!

Last year a guy down at the dock was going on about how he needed a black box and the whole thing on how springs like 5.5 to 6.5 volts on a boat and went and bought one so I hopped on his boat and got him to run every thing tested it at the dock the meter was at 5.8 told him why bother but he did took him 2 days to hook it up (42 FT cruiser boat)After the year was done asked him if it made a difference he said he turned it off after a bit and he still caught fish I told him what i was using and the different spin on the bait as to my success and he started catching more fish.

I think color combos and how you spin the bait are way more important that boat voltage,remember a fish is biting the anchovie not your downrigger line!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Good luck Wolf

Wolf---I agree in part. It's very important to make sure you've got your gear working properly. However---Scotty and the commercial boats out there have done their homework. I believe the effects have been studied and experiments conducted on commercial trollers and adjustments in the voltage with cameras trained on several pieces of gear and schools of salmon following the boat have demonstrated that voltage is VERY IMPORTANT. Crank the voltage too high---the fish disappear and don't bite. Crank the voltage down to a respectable limit---and they start hooking and fish start following. It's almost instantaneous!!!!!!!!!!

Of course good Zincs are important! However, just to show you how important Zincs are---buddy had the Zincs as new at the beginning of the season, and voltage was .62 naturally....at the end of the season voltage was substantially different with the Zincs nearly 50% or more gone. The black box allows instantaneous compensation for your Zinc problems throughout the season, and for Species being fished. Sox love it!!!!!!!!

In the Vancouver area--black boxes are definitely useful---we've got so much Freshwater runoff around here it's unreal, and if it gives you an advantage---that's good!

Also, now that EVERYONE is fishing downriggers--when you're fishing in tight quarters with other boats, it can mean the difference between putting more fish in the box than the rest of the fleet for sure!

For example--another guide fishing the exact same area at the exact same depths, gets ZERO, and I've had the fortunate experience of trolling past past him or through the same area and hooking fish. Next week, I was running that boat---and not catching---something about that boat!!!! Put 2 foot snubbers on the balls, lengthened the leads off the cable a bit more, and viola---that boat would keep pace....

Besides, call it another gadget---but if it means the difference between double the fish or 25 percent more hookups or whatever the percentage may be---you're going to get it back in terms of more charters, happier guests, and more memorable trips.

Heck--I fish expensive hooks...necessary to catch fish? No. But do I get a return on my investment? Yes. More hook ups, less time spent sharpening, etc... same thing.

It'd be great if there were more fish around---then none of this Downrigger, Black Box, tackle technology crap/debate stuff would be on this board. We'd be swapping fish weights and lure colours instead of debating the "reasons why", and sharing a whole lot more recipes.

Just my $0.02

Pardon me for interjecting into this subject as an old fart but years ago I fished with wire line ; cotton line ; nylon line on glass rods , wood rods and metallic rods and in boats with hulls of wood , fiberglass , ferro concrete and aluminum with all kinds of propulsive power and we caught fish, lots of fish .......so is this electric charge thingy something new ? similar to the degaussing effect used on shipping during the second world war to stop attracting magnetic mines by creating a neutral field ?????
Or is this something new to catch fisherman ??

Tongue in cheek .......sort of

AL

Pardon me for interjecting into this subject as an old fart but years ago I fished with wire line ; cotton line ; nylon line on glass rods , wood rods and metallic rods and in boats with hulls of wood , fiberglass , ferro concrete and aluminum with all kinds of propulsive power and we caught fish, lots of fish .......so is this electric charge thingy something new ? similar to the degaussing effect used on shipping during the second world war to stop attracting magnetic mines by creating a neutral field ?????
Or is this something new to catch fisherman ??

Tongue in cheek .......sort of

AL

Well people that seen me this summer know what and how big of fish my boat caught and ill tell you my voltage was about 7.5 to 8.5 depending on the day but I still got lots of fish SO me personally dont believe in it too much like I stated earlier presention is way WAY more important.

Wolf

Well people that seen me this summer know what and how big of fish my boat caught and ill tell you my voltage was about 7.5 to 8.5 depending on the day but I still got lots of fish SO me personally dont believe in it too much like I stated earlier presention is way WAY more important.

Wolf

Wolf,
Could you please tell me how far off the cable is affected by voltage? What would be the voltage difference if I clipped 10 feet vs. 20 feet?

Wolf,
Could you please tell me how far off the cable is affected by voltage? What would be the voltage difference if I clipped 10 feet vs. 20 feet?

quote:Originally posted by brisco

Wolf,

I'll answer that one.. NO DIFFERENCE!

you have to go further back before the field starts to weaken...even then..the fish can sense it.

quote:Originally posted by brisco

Wolf,

I'll answer that one.. NO DIFFERENCE!

you have to go further back before the field starts to weaken...even then..the fish can sense it.

Back