New Boat !

Ramsey769

Hey all! First post on here, looking for help in deciding on my next boat. I sold my 242 Yamaha jet boat and I am looking at a more fishing focused boat as fishing out of the old boat was a nightmare. Currently looking at a couple boats. I've narrowed it down to a 2025 kingfisher discovery HHT, 2225 kingfisher experience HT, Thunderjet chinook. The boat will be used most on bigger lakes around interior of Bc but I also will be making quite a few trips to Vancouver as I intend to try out salmon fishing. Nothing too far offshore. Just looking for some insight from some experienced fisherman!

Those are some good choices. I like the finishing a bit better on a Thunderjet. Check out Raider boats too as they make a decent boat too that'll save you a bit over a thunderjet or kingfisher (I have one).

i am a bit biased,,, the kingfisher is the nicest but most expensive.

best bang for your buck is the raider. ask them to put a zuki on it:}

Awesome! Thanks for the replies! I'm really stuck on the kingfisher 2025 HHT. My only
Sorry is size. Is a 20 ft boat too small to be out on the bigger lakes and out around the harbour and the odd trip to Howe sound? Just wanting to make the right choice !

I used to own the Harbercraft 1725 Adventurer (actually 16'8"), loved it, and fished all over Barkley Sound and outside on the closer banks on very good weather days. Great boat for Shuswap and Adams Lake as well as out of Lund in Desolation Sound. Harbercraft/Kingfisher makes a very good boat. I upgraded to a Hewes Searunner 180ET - more room for family and friends, more power to yank kids on a tube and much safer on the ocean. I still won't go outside on the west coast if the swell height, period and wind forecast are outside my comfort range, but lots of protected water to explore and fish on those days. Every boat has its limits and depends not just on boat style and size but also the experience of the captain and crew.

All the boats listed will serve you well for your stated use. Good luck!

Cheers!

Ukee

The 20' will be more then big enough. I would take a close look at the Chinook it's a lot bigger boat

I live in the Okanagan and have a cabin on the Sunshine Coast, have fished various boats in both areas over the years. Actually, there's a lot of similarity between big interior lakes like shuswap, okanagan and Kootenay and the Strait of Georgia/Sunshine Coast. They're both susceptible to sudden wind storms and develop heavy chop with short, steep waves. These conditions and the relatively short distances suit smaller, faster boats that can run before the weather really bites and can be easily trailered close to fishing destinations.

Boats in the 18-21 ft range best fit the bill IMHO. They are good balance between stability, agility, economy and trailerability (is that a word?). Large enough to take the family or a couple of fishing buddies or a load of building materials. Powerful enough to drag tubes or water skiers around but engine actually costs less than a new hatchback. Small enough you can beach to go clamping, large enough to handle a decent range of water conditions. Light enough to tow comfortably with a half ton truck or SUV.

Back