New aluminum ocean boat

Thyle

I'm looking at a new ocean boat and at first I was thinking a trophy pro 20' but I would need to get one 10-15 years old. I was also looking at a 2025 kingfisher falcon. I haven't been able to tell what the best 20' ocean boat is I do know to get a 20 not an 18. I fish out of Vancouver and go to bowen often. I'm not sure the difference between the falcon or the escape and I can't seem to find the differences in them. I have seen a few people say hewes and KF are pretty much a toss up. I would appreciate any help or threads you can forward cause I'm sure I didn't type in the search properly.

What's your budget?

When you're buying used, especially 10+ years old, the overall condition and maintenance is going to be a bigger factor that differences between models.

Every boat is a compromise, so there isn't really a "best 20ft ocean boat". The aluminum boats from Kingfisher, Hewes, etc in this size range are generally a fairly shallow V hull. This means they have good speed on calm water, and good fuel economy with smaller motors, but they ride rough. Locally Hourstons and Double Eagles are very popular. These boats have a deeper V hull and tend to ride better, but they also can be fitted with bigger motors that burn more fuel.

Here's a nicely set up Hewescraft:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/bod/d/port-coquitlam-180-searunner-hewescraft/7098403405.html

Here's a similar size Hourston, but this needs to get set up for fishing.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/bod/d/west-vancouver-west-185-hourston/7100362348.html

Good luck on your search!

The Escape is a wider boat - beam looks to be more and there seems to be more extended transoms (holding the motor away from back of the boat) than the falcon. On well built aluminum boats the transom is an extension of the hull, one piece and rides like a much larger boat. To me the Escape is a much more serious fishing boat similar to the Searunner and will likely be 5k more. The Hewescraft featured above looks to be similar in some ways to the Escape. I've owned Hewes Searunner and they are the ocean going one verses the Hewes Sportsman priced with a similar difference. Both the Falcon and Sportsman are amazing boats and good for any summer and nice day from October to April. Searunner and Escape likely a little better for anything more than 10-15knots of wind but you will get knocked around in all of them because they are lighter boats. I had an older Searunner without the extended transom and my brother had a newer Falcon and they are likely pretty comparable boats.

I would agree with Pineapple, maintenance, how it was stored, accessories and upgrades will make a difference. The Hewescraft has kicker motor which is a real nice to have with anything over 10 years old and costs 3-5k to add if buying new (used kickers are like Russian roulette), radar arch is great for storing nets/rods on a smaller boat, it also has trim tabs a $1000 option to get installed afterwards and will balance the boat if running with heavy people on one side or a load of fish. Canvas tops outside can get pretty beat up after 10 years. Usually just a few hundred dollars can get them up to working condition but a few thousand might make them full standing hight and looking like new. Easy to spend 10k on a few things, I did some electrical, electronics upgrades, canvas replacement, radar arch and suspension seats and likely spent closer to 15k with installation. I would recommend find some friends with boats your size and buy them beer and gas when this thing blows over and get out lots of boats. If you go look at boats during Covid take a video and very slowly record a walk around. I helped dissuade a friend out of a fixer upper due to his video and he got a great well kept boat in the end.

Good luck and take your time, few people are walking around with 20-40k in their pocket so it's a good time to buy a boat.

I'm looking at a new ocean boat and at first I was thinking a trophy pro 20' but I would need to get one 10-15 years old. I was also looking at a 2025 kingfisher falcon. I haven't been able to tell what the best 20' ocean boat is I do know to get a 20 not an 18. I fish out of Vancouver and go to bowen often. I'm not sure the difference between the falcon or the escape and I can't seem to find the differences in them. I have seen a few people say hewes and KF are pretty much a toss up. I would appreciate any help or threads you can forward cause I'm sure I didn't type in the search properly.

a 20 footer is not an ocean boat. 26 footer is marginal. 32ft+ is proper ocean/all conditions. bowen and around vancouver a 16 footer is fine on good days. to vancouver island youre looking at 18 footer and up on good days. i have a kingfisher 1825 with radar arch which is ok but if i had $80K sitting around i would do a 26 footer. i do vancouver island on my 18 footer in the summer. mine has a 6HP sailpro kicker, 115HP and i also have a ctow membership.
heres a video of a kingfisher 1825 from vancouver island to mainland :

a 20 footer is not an ocean boat. 26 footer is marginal. 32ft+ is proper ocean/all conditions. bowen and around vancouver a 16 footer is fine on good days. to vancouver island youre looking at 18 footer and up on good days. i have a kingfisher 1825 with radar arch which is ok but if i had $80K sitting around i would do a 26 footer. i do vancouver island on my 18 footer in the summer. mine has a 6HP sailpro kicker, 115HP and i also have a ctow membership.
heres a video of a kingfisher 1825 from vancouver island to mainland :

huh?o_O

The Escape is a wider boat - beam looks to be more and there seems to be more extended transoms (holding the motor away from back of the boat) than the falcon. On well built aluminum boats the transom is an extension of the hull, one piece and rides like a much larger boat. To me the Escape is a much more serious fishing boat similar to the Searunner and will likely be 5k more. The Hewescraft featured above looks to be similar in some ways to the Escape. I've owned Hewes Searunner and they are the ocean going one verses the Hewes Sportsman priced with a similar difference. Both the Falcon and Sportsman are amazing boats and good for any summer and nice day from October to April. Searunner and Escape likely a little better for anything more than 10-15knots of wind but you will get knocked around in all of them because they are lighter boats. I had an older Searunner without the extended transom and my brother had a newer Falcon and they are likely pretty comparable boats.

I would agree with Pineapple, maintenance, how it was stored, accessories and upgrades will make a difference. The Hewescraft has kicker motor which is a real nice to have with anything over 10 years old and costs 3-5k to add if buying new (used kickers are like Russian roulette), radar arch is great for storing nets/rods on a smaller boat, it also has trim tabs a $1000 option to get installed afterwards and will balance the boat if running with heavy people on one side or a load of fish. Canvas tops outside can get pretty beat up after 10 years. Usually just a few hundred dollars can get them up to working condition but a few thousand might make them full standing hight and looking like new. Easy to spend 10k on a few things, I did some electrical, electronics upgrades, canvas replacement, radar arch and suspension seats and likely spent closer to 15k with installation. I would recommend find some friends with boats your size and buy them beer and gas when this thing blows over and get out lots of boats. If you go look at boats during Covid take a video and very slowly record a walk around. I helped dissuade a friend out of a fixer upper due to his video and he got a great well kept boat in the end.

Good luck and take your time, few people are walking around with 20-40k in their pocket so it's a good time to buy a boat.

agree 100%. I have the 2025 falcon and I love it, but my use is lakes and ocean. It certainly has limitations on the Chuck, as said with wind over 10 knots. If I was to re-up and solely be an ocean boat I’d go with the 2425 Escape.

Back