NetFlix Canada Questions......

I don't have TV but wifi. I was thinking if connecting with my laptop but restricted to Canada Netflix. What is a DNS code? I would prefer US Netflix. No trouble hooking Apple up to a non apple laptop?

You do not need an apple box for your laptop
Do a YouTube search for us Netflix in Canada on laptop

Trendsetter:- my modem is Shaw allright.......it's Motorola........they last upgraded it about 5 years ago. It is connected to my comp using Ethernet cable.

I have a suspicion it isn't WIFI

Should I get a dual-band router? All I will ever be doing is using it for NetFlix etc and I'm the only user in the house. I'll call Shaw tomorrow.....

T/trapper.....No...I don't think it's a "Smart" t.v..........

I was thinking at this point:- new router (WIFI)...and....something like ROKU or WD or similar streamer box. Then plug ROKO into t.v.....turn it on and good to go......I hope......

Hi Seafever,

I think you saw my other thread about the Roku. Yes, getting the Roku is absolutely the easiest way to go. It also opens the doors to more channels beyond Netflix -- HockeyStreams like in my other thread and a bunch of the Canadian, US and Specialty Channels (like Comedy Central for the Daily Show and Colbert Report).

I'm in the IT industry and I've been doing the home streaming/recording thing for years and I have to say the Roku device has made the whole process extremely simple.

You'll need a WiFi Router -- I like the Linksys ones like this one as they have a super-simple setup program that comes with: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=bc5a85c8304b7911be1ba17f6b59cd84en02. The newest WiFi standard is called 802.11ac and it capable of some extremely fast speeds of >500Mbps and at this point -- I'd wait. The router above is based on 802.11N which claims 300Mbps, but in reality will give you about 50-100Mbps in your house which will be more than enough. The 802.11n routers are about half the price of the 802.11ac devices and currently there are very few devices that can use it <yet> -- not even the new iPhone-5. All 802.11n WiFi routers are "dual-band". Means that they use either the 2.5Ghz spectrum (which is the crowded one) or the 5Ghz spectrum which provides much more capacity and speeds but shorter range.

Roku then connects to your TV via HDMI cable. Turn it on, connect it to your WiFi -- register the device online, add your channels and you're up and running in no time -- Roku part took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

I bring in Netflix on several devices. Apple TV, Aquas Tv, ps3, laptop, iPad. Lol. I keep some on Can. Netflix while others on American. My grand kids like Dora and it is only on Canadian. I love my Apple TV because I can mirror directly from my iPad. As well, allows me MLB and NHL. Not sure how it compares to Roku though, but I sure enjoy the simplicity. Of course I have spent many hours learning how to do things, but time well invested. I don't rent movies, new releases as I BORROW them, P2P. The newer or Smart TVs are going to be the best investment in time as they do and will have so much to offer.

Back