Roku 3 + Hockeystreams + Netflix = cut cord

I've been a SageTV user since 2005 and have been through years of integration with Media Servers, networking, plug-ins, upgrades etc...(SageTV and XBMC spun off the same project years ago) It's fun, but a ton of work and tends to have a very low WAF score (for those who don't know, the WAF score can be one of the most critically important scoring systems which dictates the use of technology in the household -- translates to Wife Acceptance Factor).

What I like about the Roku (and the Apple TV), and why I've moved away from the Media Server-centric approach is that my family can watch what they want (Netflix shows, Hulu shows, game etc...) without needing a media server in the middle, or my technical support when things crashed/broke or otherwise stop working. OUYA looks like it's adopting this type of model as well (that's a new one for me) but it appears that the channel ecosystem is somewhat limited right now (Roku has something like 700). The Roku brings this in spades and has completely changed our TV watching.

I've got a question about HULU - anybody get that working on their apple TV?

When I tried to set it up the apple TV rebooted and reset all my DNS settings back to Canadian and the Hulu icon was gone from the main menu.

On the Roku -- you can get CBC, CTV and Global channels but they are the National feeds. For local channels, your best bet is to put up an antenna and get the free HD Over the Air (OTA) feeds. If you go to tvfool.com and enter your address, it will show you which channels you can get based upon the type, height and size of antenna you use. If you are urban (Victoria, Vancouver, Nanaimo) you can get away with a very small antenna -- they look now like a small flat plate. If more rural, you might need a larger roof mounted antenna. The HD OTA feeds are absolutely the best quality as they are uncompressed (Cable and Satellite are compressed and lose some quality). Unlike the old days, they either work or don't work -- no more snow -- you might get the odd drop-out if you are on the fringe of the signal area but when the picture comes in its usually excellent.

Back