Nelson Island area

Dave S

I'm headed over to Nelson Island this friday for a couple weeks. I will be working on a roof part of the time, but will also have time to doing some fishing/prawning. I've never fished or prawned this area and I don't know any locals who fish these waters. I'm hoping some of you guys have fished these waters and are willing to suggest a few areas to drop some prawn traps and some lines for salmon.

Cheers,
Dave

From what I remember Andersen Bay east side of Texada used to produce
(look for the pilings), then there was a spot I can't remember the name of up in Agamemnon Channel.

Of course those were live bait mooching spots you'd have to fish them differently than we did 20 years ago.

Never fished Prawns there sorry I have heard off Frances Point is good but no details.

Dave
Just back from re roofing the cabin in Pender Hbr. Did wet some lines over a few outings to no avail, local areas to fish Pilings Texada (You'll see powerline cut to the water pilings at water edge), Anderson Bay south to bottom Texada, Fernie Pt., Berry Shoals south end outerside, Green bay south end Nelson Island (Agamemnon Channel) Prawning is brutally slow but if you put in your time a few to be had, commercials opened early May cleaned it right out. Could try outside Pender / Meares Island area, Nelson rock south towards Pender try the 250 to 350 ft. areas. Reports had some fish being taken few weeks back in the Texada area / pilings southward 125ft on Cop car. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogbreath

"Of course those were live bait mooching spots you'd have to fish them differently than we did 20 years ago."

X2 on the live bait, some still sporadically available in Secret Cove, those were the days.

Secretpursuit has pretty much summed it up. This is the area I learned to fish, and to love fishing. But it has been many years since I last fished up there. The A-Frame, in Agamemnon, used to give up a few. Anderson Bay was a family favourite. Quarry Bay was always good to us too. There are lots of spots that used to be good. I really have no idea how they are now. Same with prawns and bottom fish. Let us know how you do, I am very curious to know.

Secretpursuit has pretty much summed it up. This is the area I learned to fish, and to love fishing. But it has been many years since I last fished up there. The A-Frame, in Agamemnon, used to give up a few. Anderson Bay was a family favourite. Quarry Bay was always good to us too. There are lots of spots that used to be good. I really have no idea how they are now. Same with prawns and bottom fish. Let us know how you do, I am very curious to know.

I'm staying in Quarry Bay so maybe I will try the structure around there. Last fall my lady friend and I went out on kayaks, a few jigs and rods and she caught a nice lingcod on the west end of Quarry Bay. I was no help landing it as I was stuck on bottom about 100 ft away. haha. That was a fun day.
Will let you know how we do.

Got into some good cod there back in the day. Once fought something big off the bottom on mooching gear. Fought it for ages. Lost in near the surface on the anchor, just as we were pulling it. I still think it might have been a hali. There's lots of sole there, if you're just looking for somehting to eat. Have fun!

If you have a decent boat I would either run up to scotch fir point just outside jervis inlet or across to the power lines on Texada. The Texada shore has been good the last week. There have been a dozen or so fish picked up along different spots on the Texada shore in the last 4 days. Just watch out for your RCA's around Nelson and hardy islands.

We had a great trip over on Nelson. Weather was good, roof went well, food and drinks a plenty, good times with the family. Not much luck with prawns or springs. Only fished for a couple hours over at power lines and hit an undersize spring and a rock fish. Wind and work kept me from fishing much but there's always next time.

there has to be a way to get the fish back in georgia straight?? some great fishing there in the early 90s but that was the end of it, a friend of mine has lived on the water there now 10 years and i bet maybe 10 salmon all that time

there has to be a way to get the fish back in georgia straight?? some great fishing there in the early 90s but that was the end of it, a friend of mine has lived on the water there now 10 years and i bet maybe 10 salmon all that time

The Georgia Straight salmon started to go missing shortly after the fish farms showed up....

If anyone is ever looking for sunshine coast fishing reports there's a website that is updated every once in a while with brief reports. Fishingsechelt.com

Back